Transmission temp in 2020 Ford Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission temp in 2020 Ford Explorer

Adirks07

Reaction score
City, State
Paxton, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer Platin
Where can I find the transmission temperature in a 2020 Ford Explorer? I have looked on the dashboard digital gauges and cannot find it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as I know, you won't find it there.

By default, no trans temp gauge. And I don’t believe the engine temp gauge is directly connected to a sensor. The engine temp sensor sends data to the computer and the computer displays it on the dash. The gauge reading is designed to stay quite steady because most folks get confused when it goes up and down to display actual engine temp as engine load changes. It’s more like an advanced idiot light than a true temp gauge.

You could buy an add-on device like a Scangauge II and it provides real-time access to a lot more of the sensor data. I believe it can read transmission temp.

Where can I find the transmission temperature in a 2020 Ford Explorer? I have looked on the dashboard digital gauges and cannot find it.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As mentioned, there is no such feature and I don't think you can add it with FORScan. You would have to add a separate gauge.
I don't know if it is covered here or not. Adding gauges to 3.5 Ecoboost

Peter

By default, no trans temp gauge. And I don’t believe the engine temp gauge is directly connected to a sensor. The engine temp sensor sends data to the computer and the computer displays it on the dash. The gauge reading is designed to stay quite steady because most folks get confused when it goes up and down to display actual engine temp as engine load changes. It’s more like an advanced idiot light than a true temp gauge.

You could buy an add-on device like a Scangauge II and it provides real-time access to a lot more of the sensor data. I believe it can read transmission temp.
The ScanGauge II has been discontinued for a while. It can only show what the OBD II port provides. I don't think my ScanGauge shows tranny temps.

582537C9-527C-42CB-B54E-693B67DEB524.jpeg

Is that not just the normal engine temperature display? I checked the manual and there is no such symbol shown nor does the manual address transmission overheating. A 'search' on the word "temperature" also did not come up with anything related to this.

Peter

That is not the normal engine temp. The logo is the same as the transmission temp logo in my F150 (F150's get the Oil Pressure/Engine Temp/Fuel/Transmission Temp).

You won't get that in the XLT Explorers (and perhaps others - looks like there are three different guage setups for 21 Explorers) .(For my year of F150, the same thing XLT's have one guage package, the upper trim levels get another...)

That is not the normal engine temp. The logo is the same as the transmission temp logo in my F150 (F150's get the Oil Pressure/Engine Temp/Fuel/Transmission Temp).

You won't get that in the XLT Explorers - different guage setup. (For my year of F150, the same thing XLT's have one guage package, the upper trim levels get another...)
I was aware that the symbol was different and that is why I went through the manual page by page but found nothing. The coolant temperature IS different.

Peter

It looks like Carlos is correct. Got curious and snapped this picture. It shows the normal temperature gauge and this one.

20220830_170724.jpg

Thanks Dale. It's strange that it isn't mentioned in the manual unless I missed it. I checked several things in my search and came up empty. :dunno:

Peter

Back