• Register Today It's free!

transmission trouble

theSpoon

Reaction score
City, State
Plantsville, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
I have a 97 explorer sport, and after some 4wheeling down a trail I finally got back on solid pavement and my transmission was having some issues in D, in 1 or 2 its fine but most of the time in D I hit a point (usually around 40-50mph)where my engine over revs and it feels like the tranny never completes the shift. I went through a few deep puddles. I drove it home in second gear after letting the car sit for a few hours the transmission fluid on the dipstick appears to be almost double the max, I let it sit overnight and checked the fluid again in the morning it was at the same level, i checked it after a night of sitting and then after a quick drive around (80mph+ no problems) but the fluid level is still way too high. I haven't driven it around since this morning and I'm almost afraid to. Would anyone know where i can start to look for problems? its possible they overfilled it last time i had my transmission fluid changed (had it flushed then too) Or is this a common problem? I thought it might have been over heated

alright I wasn't sure cause the tranny fluid is way past those cross things on the dipstick and it happened after going on the trails and i did get hung up on a rock or two

Back