• Register Today It's free!

Trimmed fenders, rust?

RaveDigger

Reaction score
City, State
Groton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 5 speed manual
I just recently trimmed the fenders so I could stuff some 33s on, but I'm curious how others have prevented rust on the newly exposed edges. I'm in the Northeast, so rust is a serious problem here. I plan on doing bedliner where the trim pieces used to be, but i dont expect it to stick to the edges of the metal that was cut.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Maybe some type of special weatherproof tape I could run along the edge?

Thanks guys,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think I'm breaking any rules by bumping this, but if I am, please let me know.

por 15

its not cheap, but it seals the edges and seeps in and locks out rust
i did all the door jambs in my EX, its black, and blends in perfect,
it works well
i think i paid like $40 for a pint, but it goes along ways it paints on, if you spill on your clothes there done for, your skin an youll wish you had been more carefull, as it is a ***** to get off

Don't get any herculiner on your hootus now...

Perfect timing here, trimmed the fenders last year, some type of epoxy primer was used-professional stuff may have been 3 part. Absolutely no rust at all. Had to trim ALOT more to fit 15x10 DC wheels with a super funky offset. Trying to find out what type of epoxy primer was used.

Thanks for the info guys, grnmachine, if you find out the name, I'd be very curious to know what it is. I'd kinda just like to slop it on the cut edge and have it harden into a bead that completely envelops the bare metal.

Storlied, I've seen the herculiner/hootus thread, and I'll make sure to keep it away from my manhood!

Thanks!

Rave,

Hope to find out tonite. It went on and dried exactly like you are talking about. Want to get this on as soon as possible.

Just touch em up with paint. I bought scratch repair paint, body color match and clear, and just touched up all the edges.

Used paint etc for parts of undercarraige/bumper. Always re rusted. Touch Up paint is much better than leaving bare metal but the epoxy primer is really good.

Rave,

Finally found out. It is a 3 part epoxy primer from Matrix.

Here is the link:

http://matrixsystem.com/products.php?t2=1

POR-15 is a great solution. Paint it on... no more rust.

That was my other alternative.

Live in Arizona.

I know our X wouldn't survive where many of y'all live. I cut the fender and didn't paint or do anything to it. My Radius Arm mounts are bare/unpainted metal and there are a few other unpainted/prepped pieces under the truck...

I rarely even get surface rust.. I guess partly because the parts are covered in dirt since it never gets washed.

~Mark

Maniak,
You are just making me jealous now! The salt does wonders here....

Live in Arizona.

I know our X wouldn't survive where many of y'all live. I cut the fender and didn't paint or do anything to it. My Radius Arm mounts are bare/unpainted metal and there are a few other unpainted/prepped pieces under the truck...

I rarely even get surface rust.. I guess partly because the parts are covered in dirt since it never gets washed.

~Mark

You SUCK, man. The bottom of my bumpers were coming apart in huge, flakey chunks when I went under to seal everything this summer. :(

Back