Truckhaven 2001!! | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truckhaven 2001!!

Matt

To bad you can't make it, but I understand your predicament. We kind of became a team.
And by the way, for a 'Kid', your driving ain't to bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Peter, you could always switch around during the trip. Feel free to grab our seat. I don't mind riding in the back.

Char

I might just do that. You know, jump into a lead vehicle so I'm at a photo op point when everybody else arrives, then jump on one of the last ones leaving. Catch one of the lead ones at the next play area, etc. and keep leap frogging.

Thanks everybody, I just might take all of you up on your offers. :D

Thursday night.

Brian K and anyone else who may be there on Thursday night. If it's raining when we pull in on Thursday night I'm going to park on the pavement closer to the main road. I don't want to risk getting stuck with the camper and trailer.

In any case we'll see you first thing Friday morning.

I believe we should roll into T-haven at about 10:00pm Thursday night.

SEE YA!!!

Arrival Day

Rick:

It looks like I won't be there until Friday early morning due to circumstances beyond my control (the wife told me I couldn't leave till then). I will see you Friday morning.

It looks like its going to rain in Escondido today and tomorrow so its going to rain out at Truckhaven too. Hopefully it won't be too muddy out there. For those of you who have not been out there when its raining hard and the ground is saturated, its mostly deep clay out there where its not sand and is veerrryyyyy slippery. Some spots in the washes turn into mud pits that will sink your rigs to the frame rails. They look solid on top because the sun dries out the top 4" but its slime underneath.

If its too muddy where we usually camp, there is a sandy spot to the north closer to the wash where we can set up. It might be better for water drainage since where we usually camp is flat. I am bringing a 10X12' tarp we can sling across the roofs of two Explorer's for a spot out of the weather. It should not be raining Sat and Sun.

See Ya in the Dirt!!
Brian K.

[Edited by BKennedy on 01-10-2001 at 09:30 AM]

i'm thinking that it should be dry out there..If not looks like we get to have some mud bogs? Should be interesting. I'll be there sat. morning.

Brian & Rick

I'm leavng around 0900 friday morning. If you are doing a morning run, I'll try and meet up with you for the afternoon run. My main emphasis is going to be getting camp set up before dark. I want to get the tent tied down real good, because the it looks with the rain we are going to have wind. I have to skip the activities saturday afternoon and evening. I had some buddies from Montana show up kinda unexpected, and they want me to go to the Supercross with them. So if anyone is needing supplies or we are running short on wood....I can bring everything out early sunday morning. Brian, are you going to get a chance to check on wood today. I could come up and bring a full load home. I would bring half out on friday, and the rest on sunday. I'm all packed up and ready to go....see you all on friday.

I plan on leaving Vegas around noon on Friday. If all goes ok and I find everything alright I should get there about 6 or so(thanks rick for the towns the turnoffs are at....helped a ton). What I'm wondering is about what time does it get dark out??? I know in Vegas right now it's about 5 to 6 when the sun goes down. Is it about the same there. It would be a heck of alot easier finding the place in the light.

It gets dark pretty darn early. Sunset is at 4:57pm tonight.

Doesn't Look Like Rain (today)

As of 2:30 pm today; Wed. Jan. 10 it's sunny warm no clouds but with a moderate haze. Visibility is probably 15 miles plus.

The weather service is predicting a storm in the next couple of days. Details (619-289-1212)San Diego Weather Service

In Indio on Hwy.111 there is a restaurant called "CASTLE CITY" (it looks like a castle on the outside, two stories w/ turrets). It's located across the street from the County Fairgrounds (Hwy.111). The largest/tallest land mark (8-10 stories) would be the County Courthouse/Jail, it borders the Fairgrounds.

It looks large enough to accommodate group dinners.

If anyone is going to be @ Truckhaven tomorrow (Thursday) day/afternoon/evening, please Post.

PJD

Well after months spent getting things ready, vacation time set, and all the getback stuff loaded. The trucks suspension takes a dumps and the front wheel barings go away, (locked up on freeway). So looks like I'll be staying home, and doing some of thoes Honey Dos. have a great time all

jerry

Jerry,
Bummer, Sorry to hear you won't be making it.
Tom, Ji and I should be getting into Truckhaven around 3 or 4 am Friday.

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

Looks like the early birds will get the rain. Lets just hope that the they're right for a change.

[Edited by leebo on 01-10-2001 at 06:49 PM]

Waffels or Pancakes

I was considering going out early (Thurs) just to set up the "Room Service" booth to serve "Breakfast In Bed" for those who have a hard time getting up and making their own. And please, remember to put your order in the night before so I can get the eggs done just the way you like 'em. Pete

And if anyone thinks I'm serious, you can just lay there and wait.

Shucks Peter..

Friday morning I'll be there, but trying to sleep some..

And then in the afternoon, I'm wiring up my lights (got everything, just need an hour or two..)

See you all friday!

FYI

It is 0529 thursday morning here in San Diego...and RAINING CATS AND DOGS!!! Peter...please keep us posted on the weather out there. I'm bringing my rain gear...and maybe a canoe! Please mountains....don't let our dirt get wet.

Tom-Your truck's looking tough!

With all that hardware on your truck you're going to be able to get into even "better" "situations" this year than last! See you Saturday!

We'll be leaving Phoenix Friday around 5-6pm after work, in case anyone wants to caravan. E-mail me directly if so.
Rick

Originally posted by tdavis
Shucks Peter..

Friday morning I'll be there, but trying to sleep some..

And then in the afternoon, I'm wiring up my lights (got everything, just need an hour or two..)

See you all friday!

You haven't installed your lights yet? Geez man you've had em for weeks now! LOL. Let others watch so they can see how easy they are... hope you and Ray successfully switch lenses without a hitch :). Have you decided how your going to get through the firewall yet? That was always the toughest part for me, I usually ended up just drilling holes...

Muck-Haven?

I'm excited to hear what the weather may have done to the site. It's 6:45 am on Thursday in Southern Orange County, and it's been pouring all night long.

Generally meaningless as Truckhaven is quite a distance away, but that doesn't mean the the storm isn't moving down that way.

Plus, I'm curious if there's any snow in Julian? Anyone know?

One more day!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey matt, they are mounted, just not wired up.

I had to figure where to mount them - and ended up spending another $200! (found a used confer rack for $125, and then about $75 for the mounts and light kits for it).

Got that installed, and realized I wasn't totally happy with the way the piaa's wire up. (needed more wire, and places to mount things..)

So I got everything to fix that, and going to be doing that friday afternoon (simple for me, since I be inga near.)

T-9 hours and counting till lift off!

Back