tsb for noises on 2011

swetrid

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Reading Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
Here is a new tsb which may help some of you that are having noise complaints.
Printable View (2535 KB)
TSB
11-4-6 NOISE FROM FRONT BOLSTER AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/4/2011

Publication Date: April 4, 2011

FORD: 2011 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2011 Explorer vehicles built on or before 2/4/2011 may experience a flutter/growl/moan type noise from the front of the vehicle at highway speeds. The noise may be present at lower speeds depending on wind speed and direction. There may also be a slight vibration felt in the floor pan or related sheet metal during the noise concern. This may be due to the movement of a styrofoam insert located on the bolster just below the a/c condenser.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Detach lower fascia grille from fascia by pushing the grille toward the rear of the vehicle at each fastener location. Using a soft plastic wedge tool between the grille and the fascia will aid in the detachment of the grille. See Figure 1 for clip locations.

Figure 1 - Article 11-4-6

Once grille is detached, position it out of the way inside the fascia above the opening to gain access to the bolster area.
Verify that the styrofoam block below the condenser is clean and dry. Clean and dry it if dirty or wet. Sticky foam tape will need to be able to stick to the styrofoam block.
Remove the protective backing from the tape and apply the tape so half of it is directly under the edge of the condenser when stuck in place to the styrofoam block. It may be helpful to lay the foam tape on an angle to the condenser and roll the foam under the condenser edge. When installed properly, it should look like the cross section illustration. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 11-4-6

A/C Condenser
Foam Tape
Styrofoam Block Insert
Bolster
Reinstall fascia grille by gently pulling the grille towards the front of the vehicle at each clip location until the retainers lock into place.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BB5Z-19C566-B Foam Tape

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110406A 2011 Explorer: Install Foam Tape To secure Foam Block (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8349 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2011 Ford Motor Company

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Added to the Known Issue sticky. Thanks!

If you've got access to TSB's, PLEASE post them all in the "known issues" forum.

I laugh, if you notice Ford allows .3 hours for this issue. IOW the tech has to go find the car, test drive and confirm the issue, return to the dealer, diagnose it, fix it, reinstall all the parts, confirm the fix with another test drive, then go park the vehicle.

All in 18 minutes..
And we question the techs on how shoddy the work is sometimes.

I really don't want a tech ripping my fascia off my 50,000 car and putting it all back together ion minutes. That is how things break and get damaged. Another reason dealers dislike warranty work. It pays crappy!!

I think this is the issue I have been having and have posted about. At high speeds. I get a humming noise from the engine bay. Sometimes it is there and sometimes not. It has been annoying me and I brought it into dealer and of course it didn't happen when they drove it. I think they thought I was nuts.
Mine was built on 12/01/10 so I am thinking you guys found my problem.
Do I have to wait for this TSB in the mail or can I call them about it?

Hi guys,

I can see why you would want to have a concern like this taken care of, and I would like lend a hand to help get the issue resolved. So I can escalate this for you, please send me a PM with your VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name.

Cory

Back