Tuning | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuning

Keep in mind, this was at 2,500’ elevation (edit, on 91 oct pump). Not the best boosted launch, but dang...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep in mind, this was at 2,500’ elevation. Not the best boosted launch, but dang...

Pretty exciting!!! I posted on your Youtube Video, but assume you were running 91 Octane?

With a bit better launch, half or 1/4 tank of fuel (I was near full), and some denser air I'm sure it would be in the 4.5-4.6 sec 0-60 range. Bet it could get in to the 12's 1/4m times too. I think there are are few gas stations that do sell 93 out here, but they are few and far between. May try a few tanks worth just to see if there is a difference.

With a bit better launch, half or 1/4 tank of fuel (I was near full), and some denser air I'm sure it would be in the 4.5-4.6 sec 0-60 range. Bet it could get in to the 12's 1/4m times too. I think there are are few gas stations what do sell 93 out here, but they are few and far between. May try a few tanks worth just to see if there is a difference.

Hey guys, I am in Fl at Sea Level and usually buy 93 octane at my local station!

Hey guys, I am in Fl at Sea Level and usually buy 93 octane at my local station!
I am in Indiana an only run 93. We are about 750 ft above.

Local Petro Canada station finally installed 94 octane tank.

Peter

New YouTube video from Ken at Palm Beach Dyno down here by me. They have a local ST that they put a 93 tune in and then an octane boosted 93 tune in and did a Dragy run as well as ran it out here at Palm Beach International Raceway for 1/4 mile times. Pretty impressive. Take a look

Guess I'm not doing so bad on pump 91 in the high desert then!

One thing I forgot to mention, the LME tune completely disables the stop/start function. The console switch does nothing. Personally, I prefer not having the stop/start function.

One thing I forgot to mention, the LME tune completely disables the stop/start function. The console switch does nothing. Personally, I prefer not having the stop/start function.

Agreed... if I have to choose it being on by default each time I start vs. not having it at all.. I would choose not to have it at all. It would be nice if the switch still worked and it would remember the previous setting. But I am guessing that won't be doable as Ford probably would not have had that in any software process.

Agreed... if I have to choose it being on by default each time I start vs. not having it at all.. I would choose not to have it at all. It would be nice if the switch still worked and it would remember the previous setting. But I am guessing that won't be doable as Ford probably would not have had that in any software process.

you think we could get the address for turning off the Auto stop from those guys?

you think we could get the address for turning off the Auto stop from those guys?
I wonder if they are actually manipulating AsBuilt data or more they might be using info that is utilized in Tow mode or Sport Mode when Auto start stop is off by default in those modes. If the latter, they probably don't know the AsBuilt addressing info we need. :(

Leaving work today, I got suckered in to a quick sprint from a stop light by a Subaru STI, by suckered I mean he was just sitting at the light next to me :D. No boosted launch from either of us, but when I hit about 3k RPM I could feel the explorer squat and pitch up as it sat me back in the seat with noticeably more force than the timed run posted above. I work at sea level, there was a definite gain in power at the lower altitude, butt dyno says an easy 2 tenths quicker. I need to take the Dragy to work and do a 0-60 one morning, just hard to find a clear stretch to get a run in. It was impressive! Oh yeah, it wasn't even close ;)

Leaving work today, I got suckered in to a quick sprint from a stop light by a Subaru STI, by suckered I mean he was just sitting at the light next to me :D. No boosted launch from either of us, but when I hit about 3k RPM I could feel the explorer squat and pitch up as it sat me back in the seat with noticeably more force than the timed run posted above. I work at sea level, there was a definite gain in power at the lower altitude, butt dyno says an easy 2 tenths quicker. I need to take the Dragy to work and do a 0-60 one morning, just hard to find a clear stretch to get a run in. It was impressive! Oh yeah, it wasn't even close ;)

So who ended up in the rearview?

I think “Oh yeah, it wasn't even close ;)“ tells the story.
Oops... the post does not show edited... so I don't think he came back and added it. I just completely missed that. Duh.... ;)

Ok so I admit I had to google the STI because I knew about the WRX but was not sure what it meant to beat an STI. Nice.... :)

STI stands for “Subaru Tecnica International“. It's basically a better Subaru WRX with performance-tuned engines, transmissions, and suspensions. STI is the division of Fuji Heavy Industry's that specializes in motorsports

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LMS is a very reputable tuning solution. They tend to err on the conservative side for public release. But fear not, they will definitely cater to your request for more aggressive tuning.

I helped them develop some very very hot tunes back in 2011 with my 3.5 eco f150. Race gas, race gas + nitrous tuning .

I believe I was one of, in not the, very first nitrous equipped 3.5 ecos in the country. I eventually hurt the engine during some money races but alas, that was my fault, not LMS.

Back