Tuning | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuning

So for those of you that have been doing tunes, do you detune it every time you take it in for service? Or better yet, is your dealership on board with the tuning? Or do you just leave things be because they can find out you have had a tune after the fact anyways?

The Livernois tune looks very exciting to me, just nervous about dealer blowback if something goes sideways. Like others, will likely lurk for a bit and observe the experience of the early adopters. Besides with the snow arriving tomorrow extra HP won’t be of much use for a good 6 months now.

No I do not detuned it. I do not attempt to hide it.. if I am willing to tune, then I should be willing to take the risk and pay for something that I break. That is exactly why I am not using right now.. I have no idea what this 10r60 is going to do yet with tunes and I'm not willing to gamble my wallet yet.

I will give an example of detuning for my dealer though despite me saying I dont lol. I have an intermittent trans com failure. It happens every now and then while driving and all the bells start ringing.. then it resets and acts normal. If it is the TCM and they replace it while tuned, it will brick my tuner and I'll have to work on getting it unlocked and reprogrammed. So for this, I bring it back to stock for them to troubleshoot. I know it has nothing to do with a tuner so I'm not worried.

But any other issue besides computer replacement, I dont lie or hide it. They will fix anything not caused by the tuner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Warranty work depends a lot on the dealership. When my 04 stang had a supercharger on it they rebuilt the transmission for me under warranty. Hell they even replaced the shift fork I bent going into third gear. When I asked about the supercharger they said "it's not attached to the transmission so doesn't seem like the cause to me ;)"

Warranty work depends a lot on the dealership. When my 04 stang had a supercharger on it they rebuilt the transmission for me under warranty. Hell they even replaced the shift fork I bent going into third gear. When I asked about the supercharger they said "it's not attached to the transmission so doesn't seem like the cause to me ;)"

The only thing I will say in regards to this is that times have changed from 10-15 yrs ago. Ford is a lot more strict with warranty work and if a dealer gets caught performing repairs on things that shouldn't be or replacing parts without Ford's approval, they get charged back 10x the cost of the repair.

Dealerships are not nearly as willing to turn a blind eye or make repairs on things that shouldn't be covered for fear of inspection and chargeback. Many parts are now shipped back to ford for them to inspect to keep dealers honest.

Back in my GM days, I drove two supercharged Denalis (a 2003 then a 2009). In both cases the magnachargers were installed by the dealer, and the dealer stood behind the factory warranty.

I wish Ford would come out with a custom tune sold through the performance parts group that the dealer would stand behind. I would happily pay for that.

I've driven about 5K on the LMS "settings", everything is working quite well and I love the boost to the mid range toque.

I've driven about 5K on the LMS "settings", everything is working quite well and I love the boost to the mid range toque.
And 0-60 now around 4.5s? That is what i find so exciting about this relatively cheap upgrade. Thanks for being an early adopter!

How are these LMS tunes still working out for ya'll? Any Aviators out there?

8,000+ miles on mine and it’s running great.

8,000+ miles on mine and it’s running great.

How does your trans feel?

I'm only slightly worried because they are only supposed to hold 600nm (442 TQ). I do believe that LMS dynoed one at 408 WTQ on a Dynojet.

Does anyone know if the 10R60 (600 nm rating) is flywheel or wheel?

How does your trans feel?

I'm only slightly worried because they are only supposed to hold 600nm (442 TQ). I do believe that LMS dynoed one at 408 WTQ on a Dynojet.

Does anyone know if the 10R60 (600 nm rating) is flywheel or wheel?

The trans feels fantastic. The rating is more a class, not a hard measured limit, but it is in NM to the input shaft. The 10R60 is basically the same as the 10R80 but there is some change that required the de-rating. There is a guy on Facebook, Brian Updyke, that runs the Palm Beach Dyno super duper E85 tune and regularly runs at the track with times in the low 12s range, 12.190 @ 112.33 is his best. He has 8K miles on his now and no trans issues yet. So if his lives, ours will live.

The trans name end number is the lbsft rating, not metric as far as I know. The 4R70W is rated to 700lbft, the 10R60 should be 600lbft. Tell me if the ratings method changed again, I go by the last thing I learned. The 6R80 is the trans that I read in Mustangs are reaching 175mph at the track.

The trans name end number is the lbsft rating, not metric as far as I know. The 4R70W is rated to 700lbft, the 10R60 should be 600lbft. Tell me if the ratings method changed again, I go by the last thing I learned. The 6R80 is the trans that I read in Mustangs are reaching 175mph at the track.

Not lbft, both the 10R60 and 10R80 are rated in NM, while info is still hard to come by for the 10R60 spec'd version, see here for the 10R80 specs;

Ford 10R80 10 Speed Automatic Transmission Specs
Transmission:

Ford 10R80

Type:

10 speed triple overdrive automatic transmission

Assembly Plant:

Livonia Transmission plant Livonia, Michigan

Predecessor:

Ford 6R80 (not replaced altogether by 10R80)

Applications:

2017 Ford F-150 w/ 3.5L EcoBoost V-6, 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor, 2018 Ford F-150, 2018 Ford Mustang

Case Material:

Aluminum

Weight:

~ 235 for rear wheel drive/2 wheel drive applications

~230 lbs for 4 wheel drive applications

Transmission Fluid Spec:

MERCON ULV (Motorcraft XT-12-QULV)

Transmission Fluid Capacity:

13 qts (U.S. quarts)

Transmission Fluid Filter P/N:

Motorcraft FT202

Normal ATF Operating Temp:

206 °F - 215 °F

Service Intervals:

Replace transmission fluid and filter every 150,000 miles

Features:

3 overdrive gears, integrated electric fluid pump to permit start-stop function, instrument cluster readout displaying current gear at all times, adaptive learning cycle perpetually making transmission shift schedule adjustments in order to maximize acceleration, fuel economy, and performance.

10 forward speeds

R

Rear wheel drive applications

800 N-m nominal max input torque capacity

Ok, yes, so if the 80 means 800nm, the 60 must mean 600nm. That equates to 442 FT TQ.

If it's referring to the the input shaft, we're not talking WTQ output, but flywheel TQ output, right?

That E85 tune is putting WAY too much power down for this trans. Hard to know how long it will last.

can anyone comment further on the transmission changes with the LMS tuner?

one thing i dislike about the stock programming is that when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd in manual mode the rev matching seems overdone, and the car surges ahead, even under braking, which is super annoying.

can anyone comment further on the transmission changes with the LMS tuner?

one thing i dislike about the stock programming is that when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd in manual mode the rev matching seems overdone, and the car surges ahead, even under braking, which is super annoying.

The LMS tune does not seem to alter the downshifting behavior much. I noticed the same as you if I downshifted at lower specific RPM's. I want to say, I seem to recall at higher RPM's it did a much better job rev matching on the down shifts.

So I returned back to the stock tune for a week (had to take it to the dealer for a few things, not related). I can tell you how much I didn't like the stock tune after 8K miles of tuned. It just felt wimpy and slightly lethargic. Also I come to love the 1,2,3... sequential shift and the extra firmness. Could not wait to return it to the LMS settings.

So I returned back to the stock tune for a week (had to take it to the dealer for a few things, not related). I can tell you how much I didn't like the stock tune after 8K miles of tuned. It just felt wimpy and slightly lethargic. Also I come to love the 1,2,3... sequential shift and the extra firmness. Could not wait to return it to the LMS settings.

Why change it when Ford would know it is tuned? No point in doing it these days.

Why change it when Ford would know it is tuned? No point in doing it these days.

If you let it fully cycle and come to ready, its much harder. But I'm glad I did anyways, it allowed me to feel and see the difference between the two states again, stock was lame.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The LMS tune does not seem to alter the downshifting behavior much. I noticed the same as you if I downshifted at lower specific RPM's. I want to say, I seem to recall at higher RPM's it did a much better job rev matching on the down shifts.

thanks, maybe i'll try downshifting earlier. still getting used to the smaller jumps between gears.

one more question, i saw you are running 91 octane. did you ask for a specific 91 tune, or can you run the 93 tune and let the knock sensor do it's thing?

Back