Turbo anyone?=Growing pains | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo anyone?=Growing pains

In my growing effort to see how far we can carry the 4.0L sohc, I have found the first problem in the link. Up till now I have continuously pushed the 4.0L to a level I feel, at this moment, hasn't been pushed before. With my engine nearing 100k I am starting to see my first signs of age. The top end! After a dyno session the other day with a boost setting of 12psi we ended up (with problems) max hp 358 & max torque of 448lb.ft torque , from 2400-4600rpm the torque never dropped below 400 lb.ft. We shut down at 4900rpm due to valve float, if we could finished the pull the truck would've easily made 450-460hp. After evaluating the dyno sheet it was obvious that the valve springs (at the higher boost setting) werent controlling the valves they were only there for the ride. Thus ending my fun.. This confirms lately while tuning for higher boost why the truck hasn't felt to get any faster. It seems as if it were accelerating with the brakes on. This is the only drawback to street tuning. You cannot see what is happening with the vehcle. This is why I always tune on the street then follow up on the dyno. Just to see where the engine likes to make power and if it is over timed. (too much timing).

I am currently working on a ported set of heads and stiffer springs for the 4.0L sohc guys which I hope, won't necessitate a modified head. The set-up will hopefully be able to be run with the stock heads unlike others in the current market. I am only in the infancy so I hope this can be achieved. I will probably, 1st install the cams and then move to ported heads. Dynoing both times to see what, if any differences are to be had from the port work. Initially I am going to install a set of springs and get #'s from bone stock heads then install the cams and move onto ported heads. My pre-mature evaluation is that the stock heads flow so well just porting them without adding cams will be a waste, hence my reasoning for not testing with stock cams+ported heads. A little hint, I am working on getting this truck into the mid to low 7's in the 1/8th by the end of the year... Did someone say dual power adders? :scratch: We will see how it goes. Unfortunately business has slowed to a point that I cannot give a time guarantee, but it will happen. Thanks for all and I will keep you informed.-j

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My statement above could cause confusion. The 4.0 SOHC already has forged rods. Thanks, James.

Even though they have forged rods, I've been watching a few guys rebuild the 4.0 SOHC only to blow it up a few months later. I guess they got carried away and figured there engine could now handle anything. I would just like to be a little cautious about the problems others had. (learn from there mistakes so I don't have to pay for them)

I completely agree. If someone rebuilds a engine only to blow it up a few months later, things that make you go hmmmm! BTW, nice to see you visiting the forums again Jake, you took a temporary vacation from us.-j

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not get this off-topic but us there any hope for us OHV's? Alot of the stuff I see posted around here pertains to the SOHC. But don't see too much posted about hopping up the OHV's in the first gens

theres been a modification book out for those about 10 years ago, includes where and how to port etc, intake selection etc etc. Back when it was out you could do those mods and slap on the blower that BBK? had made and push over 300hp easy, then realize your brakes and suspension couldnt stop you from jumping a curb into a fence? :D

http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?AID=42121&PID=538961&isbn=0879389141

James-
I didn't know you wore glasses--

We had these air pumps at the place i used to work, that were just used for blowing air threw our ovens. They looked exactly like an overgrown turbo. When we were taking them out i really wanted to hijack one and see what i could do with it :D

Not get this off-topic but us there any hope for us OHV's? Alot of the stuff I see posted around here pertains to the SOHC. But don't see too much posted about hopping up the OHV's in the first gens

Here's what you could do for the OHV;http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176114

I found a seller on eBay in England I believe who had some used DOHC parts from a Cosworth Scorpio 2.9 V6. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=180127933306&rd=1

This member here is almost done with his, I believe what he is working on is tuning. He has an aftermarket system I think, an OBDII PCM could be tuned for that easily.

James let us know how that valve float goes. I don't want to touch my SOHC for a long time yet.

I'm curious about what you do for the valve float as well. This is not the first time I've heard of this. Also, I'm curious on what pistons you will be going with? What compression are you going to shoot for? Will you be offering this?

The 4.0's will have decent crank, rods, and pistons, like almost all Ford pushrod engines. You can do a lot with some parts, but the pistons should be changed during a rebuild.
The rods in a 302 aren't terrible either, but the cost of aftermarket rods is so good that you change them as a matter of course now.

See if you can get an aftermarket set of rods for a decent price, and spend good money on strong light pistons. The SOHC has high enough compression that not too much boost can be used. For serious power you'd want a lower compression like stock 302's have.

James, what kind of rpm's has your engine seen? Has it all been normal rpm's which aren't much past 5500? The higher rpm's wear out the valve springs much faster. That's why a lot of 302 Mustangs smoke etc, the five speeds let the driver's spin the engines too fast, too often. My first 91 LC never smoked, even at 112k miles, it was an automatic. Night,

easy, for a cheap fix thats half assed and temporary, shim the springs :D, for a permanent fix buy lighter valve train and/or stiffer valve springs or reduce RPM or boost :)

Back