Questions on Remote Turbo 5.0L in a Ranger.... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions on Remote Turbo 5.0L in a Ranger....

After browsing around for quite a while in search of answers I finally came across what I needed: someone that has already done the remote job on a 5.0 Explorer... I own a Ranger that we've converted over to the EFI 5.0 from the Explorer, and now I'm in search of more power, and need a few questions answered. This pickup is my daily driver; it needs to be dependable. I don't strip race, but I don't turn down the "Friday night stoplight run" either. Flamers please go somewhere else; I really need educated and solid advice:

Forced Induction definitely seemed like a good step, but after hunting down multiple superchargers, I don't want to spend that much. Running a remote turbo appears far more feasible, as I have more than enough access to build a large part of it (tubing bends and whatnot); what I can't build I can get at dealer cost/super-cheap-nonetheless.

First and foremost: what turbo? The most popular response seems to be the HX or HY35 from the mid/late 90's Cummins; here lately I've seen complaints that this ISN'T the most effective option. I've also toyed with the idea of running twin turbo's, like a pair from a 1.8T Jetta or similar. However, I know certain turbo's have pieces of manifold molded in, and therefore won't work. The way my exhaust is done I have lots of room and the piping would be easy to work in for a twin turbo setup. But, in the interest of efficiency and reliability, the best option is _______?

Most superchargers for the Explorers are pushing about 6-7psi boost; 6.5psi wastegate ok? 6psi max boost seems decent for the crank and bottom end in a 'xplorer 5.0. Also, does the HX/Y35 run an internal wastegate like Jetta's and whatnot, or do I need a seperate wastegate? From the sounds of it I need to run a seperate wastegate to keep from overboosting. At this point I'm leaning towards a seperate wastegate as a reassurance.

Injectors or no injectors? I've read that the 19# stock injectors will work. "Will work" doesn't satisfy me though... am I going to be lean at full throttle or will it be ok? We have some good hills in Idaho and I don't need to be going lean partway up. Will the MAF be ok or does it need changed out as well? The Lightning/Mustang MAF seems a popular option; if I'm changing injectors then this might as well go too. Being my daily driver, I don't want to worry about having a lean meltdown.

Now... the computer: my Ranger is pre-OBD2, where the Explorer is OBD2. As such, we had to bypass things like the Evap test for the gas tank and whatnot; the computer also still thinks the truck is an automatic with an automatic transfer case. (We live in the mud and snow; I prefer manual hubs and a manual t-case. I also prefer pulling with an standard over an AT. Please no flaming here... will it work or no?) More or less, will the computer need reflashed or not? I saw a dyno sheet put up by the owner of the turbo'd AWD Explorer that said the 5.0 on the wheel dyno (not the AWD Explorer, but something similar?) was an Explorer block, turbocharged, but running stock tune without a chip.... at 636hp. Will the stock tune with this computer work with a forced induction app? Will anything we had to bypass go haywire because of the boost? I've kicked it around a while now and have loosely decided on the stock tune being ok as long as I have the right air/fuel mods to keep it happy. Correct or not?

From what I've found the heads will flow enough; the valvetrain and bottom end should be sufficient for ~6psi, correct? Again, its my daily driver and I don't want to have to worry of splitting a block, busting a crank, bending a rod, etc. I'm not shooting for any more than like 450hp ABSOLUTELY MAX. 350 would be great.

Also, (I know this is a total "newbie" question, but nonetheless..) redline on a 'splorer 5.0 is ? I'm hesitant to run above about 4500 because it sounds 'tight', yet dyno sheets are showing 5500+.

I'm sure I've left things out but I don't have time to reread it right now... be back later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At 8psi, you are going to be moving more than 30lbs a minute- more like 40lbs a minute. A typical GT40p longblock will make about 380wheel horsepower at 9psi; and if you count 15% driveline loss, that is about 430 flywheel horsepower. 1lb of air/minute is about 1 horsepower, so you are looking at about 43lbs/min at 9psi. It will be slightly less at 8psi.

And about the guy running a T04e on a Mustang, what turbo was he running? TO4e is a pretty generic term. A 60-1 is still a TO4e, but it can support about 500whp on a 5.0.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In this case, the stock Explorer injectors would be the EV6 body and EV1 connector. Right?

Edit: Google'd and found your injectors. Seems my hypothesis is right.

It all depends on which year Explorer you are talking about. Some used the EV1 connectors while others used the EV6 connectors. Don't worry about the body, just worry about the connector. I do not have a clear idea of what year harness you are using so that it why I am not stating exactly which injector you should use because I need to know more information first. I am sure that once you take a look, like you probably already have, then you will know for sure.

I have posted detailed pictures and explanations of the EV1 and EV6 connectors in this forum. Search around and you will have your 100% answer once you match my pictures and explanations to your harness itself.

At 8psi, you are going to be moving more than 30lbs a minute- more like 40lbs a minute. A typical GT40p longblock will make about 380wheel horsepower at 9psi; and if you count 15% driveline loss, that is about 430 flywheel horsepower. 1lb of air/minute is about 1 horsepower, so you are looking at about 43lbs/min at 9psi. It will be slightly less at 8psi.

And about the guy running a T04e on a Mustang, what turbo was he running? TO4e is a pretty generic term. A 60-1 is still a TO4e, but it can support about 500whp on a 5.0.

Pay attention to Justin here he has walked in your exact shoes and has firsthand experience here. Your 5.0 Explorer running 9 psi of boost up to a 5500 rpm limit while intercooled will yield around 45.46 #/min airflow in average conditions. That little 57 trim turbo with its T3 flange and smaller turbine housing will be more than maxxed out. Just to give you an idea, I will be using a turbo of similar spec to build a system on my brother's 2.8 liter I6 engine in his VW. I am using a Garrett T04E 60 trim on my 3.9 V8 Lincoln LS and it spools VERY quickly. Others on here are using T04E 60-1's on their 4.0 V6 Explorer's and getting great spool times on engines 1 liter smaller than yours mind you. That 57 trim will max out way too early for that pressure ratio to flow amount and I fear that you will be disappointed. I understand trying to save a buck, but you are taking the wrong step to ensure you retain good spool after shifting that manual tranny. My suggestion is to run a T04E 60-1 or even 62-1 turbo with a TIAL BOV. That BOV will allow you to recoop boost much faster after a shift due to it allowing the turbo to remain spooled.

It is your decision but you may want to take the advice of Justin (person who has walked your path before) and me (Custom turbo dealer and fabricator). Our recommendations will save you money and lots of heartache here.

We'll see. I know it is small, but at the same time, I know it isn't TERRIBLY small. If it fails miserably, I'll track down a 60-1 and change it out. The flanges are very similar, if not identical, so it wouldn't take me long to change.

I think you should just be proud I left the FMU sitting on my shelf haha!

We'll see. I know it is small, but at the same time, I know it isn't TERRIBLY small. If it fails miserably, I'll track down a 60-1 and change it out. The flanges are very similar, if not identical, so it wouldn't take me long to change.

I think you should just be proud I left the FMU sitting on my shelf haha!

Do you have that 57 trim in hand? It may be a T4 flange but most I have seen have a T3 flange. Most 60-1 T04E's I have seen have a T4 flange. I have not seen the turbo that you have your mind set on so I assume you already verified this due to what you mentioned in your previous post. Just one thing to make sure you confirm is the same.

Whenever you can, I would like to see the full specs on that turbo you plan to pick up. I especially want to see what A/R the turbine housing is as well as what A/R your compressor housing is.

SIR, PLEASE STEP AWAY FROM THE FMU!!! :p: Good to hear that you left that thing to be used as a paper weight. That is their best use.

That is a pretty nice Ranger you have there. Not your grandma's 3.0 V6... I will likely be doing a similar 5.0 swap into the 93 Ranger I have then throwing some Dana 44's under it with a custom lift.

What is your planned use for the truck? Mud, crawling, beach running, sand dunes?

Do you have that 57 trim in hand? It may be a T4 flange but most I have seen have a T3 flange. Most 60-1 T04E's I have seen have a T4 flange. I have not seen the turbo that you have your mind set on so I assume you already verified this due to what you mentioned in your previous post. Just one thing to make sure you confirm is the same.

Whenever you can, I would like to see the full specs on that turbo you plan to pick up. I especially want to see what A/R the turbine housing is as well as what A/R your compressor housing is.

It's ok if the flanges aren't the same. Probably took me all of about 10-15 minutes to cut the flange out on the mill.

As for the turbo, it's sitting at the shop ready to go - I'll track down some spec's and edit them in real quick.

It's listed as a "T3/T4 flange"
.50 a/r compressor, .63 turbine
3" inlet, 2 out
Compressor: 3" exducer, 2" inducer
Turbine: 2.2" exducer, 2,58" inducer
Normal 5-bolt hot side.

That is a pretty nice Ranger you have there. Not your grandma's 3.0 V6... I will likely be doing a similar 5.0 swap into the 93 Ranger I have then throwing some Dana 44's under it with a custom lift.

What is your planned use for the truck? Mud, crawling, beach running, sand dunes?

Thanks - has alot of time into it and I love it to death. It's been like it is on CarDomain for almost 2 years now - it's seen a little bit of crawling, nothing major, a fair amount of mud during senior year, but it's mainly just my daily driver and smoke-the-weekend-stoplight-ricers truck. We go camping alot and whatnot also, so it's nice to be able to go pretty much wherever I want.

But as for that FMU... I knew a guy with one that would just give it to me, so, like all things free, it was tempting to take. But after digging around on forums (all kinds of different cars) I would probably give one away too. Sounds like a fantastic way to smoke a motor.

I'll probably be swapping axles soon also (should've taken the one from the donating Explorer at the time but oh well) - apparently the 8.8 from a newer Ranger is a swap-and-go setup so that's probably what I'll end up with. The 7.5's held up great to the V8 but the extra torque from the turbo will probably end it. Might put one of the selectable ECTED lockers in it while I'm at it.

Here's what it looked like when I first bought it in '04 (pretty sure I was barely 15 in the picture) - second pic was taken when I left for college in August.

saintanthony002lw0.jpg

p8230022bt0.jpg

Back