Turbocharging a stock 4.0 SOHC Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbocharging a stock 4.0 SOHC Explorer

Does anybody ever done such a thing?

I'm wondering if the stock ECM will handle like 4 o 5 psi of boost without any mods?

I live at the Andes mountains, at 6.600 feet of altitude and the atmospheric pressure here is around 9 psi, so I figure if I add 4 or 5 psi of turbo boost the explorer migh perform like if it was at sea level..??

what if I go down to sea level..??

the 4.0 SOHC uses a MAF sensor, so the increase of airflow under boost will make the ECM dump more fuel... or not..?? up to a certain point I'm sure, since definitely the air/fuel mixture is correct at this altitude as well as down at the coastline, in other words, can the ECM be fooled to make it think it's working at sea level..??

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed. Though a little different from the others. ;)

And is there seriously another thread on this in here? Please for the love of god people use the search function. Allot of us have been on this forum for years and enjoy answering peoples performance question but it gets old when we have to reply to the same exact types of threads over and over and over again. For you new guys, save us the repeated effort and use the search button. That is why we have it. If you have questions after using it then kindly create a thread and we will be happy to respond to your remaining questions.

Let me guess:

E85, turbo mounted in the front, running in a suck-through configuration.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let me guess:

E85, turbo mounted in the front, running in a suck-through configuration.

Actually you are mistaken on all fronts. :D Not E85, not A turbo mounted in the front(or the rear for that matter), and it will be a slot-in blow through. ;)

But the TTG8 will be getting E85 next race season now that I live in the corn belt again.

Actually you are mistaken on all fronts. :D Not E85, not A turbo mounted in the front(or the rear for that matter), and it will be a slot-in blow through. ;)

But the TTG8 will be getting E85 next race season now that I live in the corn belt again.

So mid-mounted, sort of like mine?

Where were you at again? Overseas?

So mid-mounted, sort of like mine?

Where were you at again? Overseas?

Well technically it will be a front mount but just not in the engine bay where it can gather heat. They will be tucked beside the bellhousing like the system on my G8.

I was overseas in the Pacific southwest region for a while. Now I am back home in IL which means I can actually put some real wrenching on my cars including the Kenne Bell Explorer too finally.

Well technically it will be a front mount but just not in the engine bay where it can gather heat. They will be tucked beside the bellhousing like the system on my G8.

I was overseas in the Pacific southwest region for a while. Now I am back home in IL which means I can actually put some real wrenching on my cars including the Kenne Bell Explorer too finally.

Ahh, I see, good deal! That also answered my other thought of your KB engine maybe going into someone's sport..haha

Ahh, I see, good deal! That also answered my other thought of your KB engine maybe going into someone's sport..haha

KB Explorer is getting finished and sitting in the garage as a weekend playtoy. No engine donations in its foreseeable future.

All of the Turbocharged 4.0 SOHC Explorers in here use the stock EEC-V ECM. A simple question in one of the existing threads asking for clarification on this would have been better than making an entirely new thread asking questions that have already been answered such as "Turbocharging a stock 4.0 SOHC Explorer...Does anybody ever done such a thing?"

We do our part by taking the time to post technical information for less experienced members to learn from, but you guys have to do your part by doing some thorough searching before creating new threads on a whim that ask questions that have already been answered. There are 50 million threads on "Can I supercharge/turbocharge my Explorer?", "Can I fit dual exhaust on my Gen 3 Explorer?", "What size of rims can I fit on my Explorer?" and it gets old when people are too lazy to do a little reading to find the information they seek that we have already posted soo many times.

Did you really read my first post?

"I'm wondering if the stock ECM will handle like 4 o 5 psi of boost without any mods?

I live at the Andes mountains, at 6.600 feet of altitude and the atmospheric pressure here is around 9 psi, so I figure if I add 4 or 5 psi of turbo boost the explorer migh perform like if it was at sea level..??

the 4.0 SOHC uses a MAF sensor, so the increase of airflow under boost will make the ECM dump more fuel... or not..?? up to a certain point I'm sure, since definitely the air/fuel mixture is correct at this altitude as well as down at the coastline, in other words, can the ECM be fooled to make it think it's working at sea level..??"

if so, can you post a link for a thread that asks about installing a turbo that will compensate for the altitude at which I live, using the stock ECM with NO MODIFICATIONS? that would be easier than calling me lazy for not doing a research, or that I started a thread in a whim,
if you know the answer for my question please respond to it if not just tell me you do not know it, period, don't read this anymore.

Did you really read my first post?

"I'm wondering if the stock ECM will handle like 4 o 5 psi of boost without any mods?

the 4.0 SOHC uses a MAF sensor, so the increase of airflow under boost will make the ECM dump more fuel... or not..?? up to a certain point I'm sure, since definitely the air/fuel mixture is correct at this altitude as well as down at the coastline, in other words, can the ECM be fooled to make it think it's working at sea level..??"

if so, can you post a link for a thread that asks about installing a turbo that will compensate for the altitude at which I live, using the stock ECM with NO MODIFICATIONS? that would be easier than calling me lazy for not doing a research, or that I started a thread in a whim,
if you know the answer for my question please respond to it if not just tell me you do not know it, period, don't read this anymore.

I will humor you for a minute.

Yes, hence the response.
Yes.
Close to it.
Boost stays the same in a turbo when changing elevation, though compressor RPM increases at a given pressure as ambient air density decreases.
Yes.
Doesn't need to be fooled, just properly re-calibrated.

Look buddy you started the thread asking if anyone has ever turbocharged a 4.0 SOHC Explorer. Look at your title and the initial question. That is the reason for my previous responses. Only after that initial question did you follow on with others centering specifically around the ECM. If you don't want people like me getting on your ass about making threads asking questions that have already been answered then perhaps you should focus your topic name and initial question more directly on the intended subject matter rather than beating around the bush.

If you don't want people like me getting on your ass about making threads asking questions that have already been answered then perhaps you should focus your topic name and initial question more directly on the intended subject matter rather than beating around the bush.

No I don't want people like you, I want nice people that can politely answer a question, I don't want people that think they have the rigth to spank other people's ass just because they don't start threads they way you think they should be started, you have not answered my question, you have made me lost my time, but you sure did not make me loose my good mood, you failed at that.:)

thanks a lot for taking your time to read my wrong questions, good luck pissing off somebody else, I'm cool :)

now, has some one out there ever done what I want to do? turbocharging without any modifications to the ECM? for just a better performance, because if I wanted to make an all-out turbo engine first thing I would do is installing a Halltec 1000 ECM as I usually do for this projects.

No I don't want people like you, I want nice people that can politely answer a question, I don't want people that think they have the rigth to spank other people's ass just because they don't start threads they way you think they should be started, you have not answered my question, you have made me lost my time, but you sure did not make me loose my good mood, you failed at that.:)

thanks a lot for taking your time to read my wrong questions, good luck pissing off somebody else, I'm cool :)

now, has some one out there ever done what I want to do? turbocharging without any modifications to the ECM? for just a better performance, because if I wanted to make an all-out turbo engine first thing I would do is installing a Halltec 1000 ECM as I usually do for this projects.

I was prepared to be nice but since you chose to continue to be so hard-headed I am more influenced to reciprocate your attitude instead. My original intent was never to "make you lose your good mood" but rather prevent an onslaught of repeat questions that have already been answered in this very same forum. I don't really know where you are coming from with that comment. Perhaps there is a language barrier.

In my last reply I also answered all of your questions that you quoted in your previous post. You wanted technically sound answers from someone experienced and I provided them. Some questions were answered with more detail than others because they needed to be, while others didn't. And now you continue on to ask the same question (highlighted in bold above) yet again that has already been answered by myself, James (jah), and Jakee in this very same thread? Hell Jakee went into pretty good detail about this in the first paragraph of post #15 in here. This is the sort of stuff I am talking about. Good luck with things but if you continue to have this much issue listening to tech info when it is provided repeatedly then I don't foresee a positive outcome for your project if it relies upon information provided by others.

Is anyone still on this forum? I’m thinking about turboing my 2006 4.0 sohc

Back