Turbos on a 4.0 OHV? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbos on a 4.0 OHV?

Well i dont know exactly where to start... so here's the full story

I've been a fan of the 4.0L OHV engine for a few years now. good fuel economy, decent power, small size, roller cam, MAF, etc.

I have recently acquired a little 1962 Volvo 122 which i understand weighs under 2500 pounds... Well, I'm not even considering keeping a volvo engine in it. because i like horsepower, fuel economy, reliability etc... all the things i'm hoping a 4.0 can deliver for me. (im impressed with my 93 explorer's mileage)... so I'll be swapping in a 4.0 with an e4ld trans. and i figured for a little extra kick without sacrificing much (if any) in the way of fuel economy, i could add a turbo or better yet twin turbos. plus it would have a nice cool-factor and be pretty unique. I found one old thread where somebody had done this but the pics were gone and there wasn't a whole lot of info.

I've built and modified quite a few engines, but i'm pretty new when it comes to the forced induction world. so i'm hoping for some pointers/experience and other ideas where it comes to the turbo arrangement.

how much power will the stock bottom end hold up to? how much boost can i run, if any, with the stock fuel injection system? do i need to upgrade anything to run a mild boost level? injectors?

so nobody has any ideas or even thinks this is a cool project?

c' mon guys.. dont make me use a CHEVY engine! haha j/k

I don't know much about forced induction either, but you get a bump for a cool idea!

I'm thinking most people will probably point you in the direction of the 4.0 SOHC for turbo. it has a slightly higher stock rev limit, it gets better mileage, and it has a bit more power out of the box. and it fits in the same space!
only thing to watch out for is the idler chains or whatever they are. those are the weak point on that engine.

if it'll fit in the engine compartment, I would consider a 5.0 V8 from an explorer. theres a lot more info on it and you would have even more power!

not to harrass the OHV though! that's what I have and I love it! the things a tank. only thing to watch out for is keeping the carbon out of it! otherwise, awsome little engine. I REALLY want to swap something cool into my explorer, and the OHV will DEFINITELY be put into something else in that case

Back