Turn Signal Will not Stay on Right Turn Only | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turn Signal Will not Stay on Right Turn Only

jzcop

Reaction score
City, State
clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
Hey all,

I have a 2013 explorer XLT. Out of the blue, when i put on the tun signal for right turns, it only does the three blink and shuts off no matter how hard or soft i push on it. The left side works normal, stays on until i turn it off or just the three blink option. I haven't seen this problem on the Explorer forum, but saw a guy on the F150 forum with same issue. I went ahead and got a new turn signal switch from ford, put it in and the same issue, no fix. now i'm completely stumped.

Any help appreciated.

Stan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the switch back out and look at the contacts where the switch connects to the steering column control module (the main shroud area) may have a bad connection here. Take a picture and post if you can.

so here’s pics of the connection at steering wheel. no burn marks or broken prongs. i put the old switch back in and still same issue. i’m thinking it’s a program issue as i saw on some posts that the speed of the blinks and other functions of the switch are programmable. or it’s the circuit board at the steering wheel. either way i may have no choice but to take it to the dealer ughhhh.

7308D3A0-3E6B-45BA-BD1D-3A7661D11F0A.jpeg

DC2F92A8-178A-4BEE-8577-C9BB66169319.jpeg

The number of flashes is programmable but the standard is still 3. Someone would have to connect an IDS or Forscan tool to reprogram it. Even so, I wouldn't expect that to affect the turn signal lever unless somehow it went to 0 flashes.

Peter

yep its a mystery. i messaged the guy i saw who had the same exact problem on his F150 to see what his outcome was. I'm really trying to avoid the dealer on this one.

Number of turns is programmed but the fact that left works and right doesn’t doesn’t sound like programming.

Do you have forscan? You can scan the SCCM and see if it’s reading the turn lever correctly. If it’s not it could still be the connection. How many pins are on the connection? The input pin for the right signal could have an issue (bad circuit trace, bad coupling capacitor, or bad pin on microprocessor of SCCM).

Either way I’m pretty sure it’s the connection or the SCCM itself. The SCCM takes the input from the turn signal switch and broadcasts a turn signal message on CAN bus. If left is working fine then this Bus connection is likely good.

The SCCM maybe able to be replaced by the user using forscan. I think you may just have to copy the as built data over to the new unit.

@jmr061 you know anything I don’t about SCCM replacement besides as built programming? Any calibrations, etc?

Back