Two issues...can anyone help

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
So its been getting colder in utah. It was around 40 degrees this morning. This has brought up an issue. My tachometer is not working well. I turned my X on, and the tach sits there at 0 for a little while then after everything "warms up" a bit it starts to work. Any solutions to this?

Second: My passenger mirror stopped working. It wont work and the motor doesn't sound like its working. Is the motor dead or something I can do to salvage this mirror?

EDIT: Incase this will be asked the mirror still has a working puddle light, and the driver side mirror still works like new.

Thanks in advance,
Nate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the fuses?

fuses are good. I had to change most of em out recently because of a heavy set guy at a tire store...my seat and accesories just couldn't take it. :(

The mirror is heald on by two screws from the inside once you remove some interior parts, you will see. Then some basic trouble shooting with a meter or test light.

Ice,
For the mirror go to a junk yard and get a new switch. Most of the time they will give you one. Switch at dealer is about $40.00....ripoff. If that doesn't fix it you will have to check the wires. Try the switch first and then let us know. I have the wiring diagram somewhere.
Ed

If it's the mirror, I have a brand new one in my parts for sale thread- PM me, I may be very generous to a student... :)

Ice,
For the mirror go to a junk yard and get a new switch. Most of the time they will give you one. Switch at dealer is about $40.00....ripoff. If that doesn't fix it you will have to check the wires. Try the switch first and then let us know. I have the wiring diagram somewhere.
Ed
Thanks! I will go to the junkyard soon and see if that does the trick.

If it's the mirror, I have a brand new one in my parts for sale thread- PM me, I may be very generous to a student... :)

Does it have the puddle lamp?

Nope, no puddle lamp... That's why I replaced it on my truck as my 2000 has them and it was a replacement that they didn't apparently want to pay for the puddle lamp on, and having one puddle and one no puddle was driving me nuts... :)

I'm going to the yard this weekend if you want me to grab a switch for you...

Nope, no puddle lamp... That's why I replaced it on my truck as my 2000 has them and it was a replacement that they didn't apparently want to pay for the puddle lamp on, and having one puddle and one no puddle was driving me nuts... :)

I'm going to the yard this weekend if you want me to grab a switch for you...

Thanks for the offer! Let me see what I can find at my local junkyard tomorrow. If I don't find anything I'll let you know.
New Third Problem
My Driver seat is messed up now. :rolleyes: I replaced the upper half because the handle snapped off. Now I can't adjust the upper part of the seat because the handle is stuck in place, the upper part of the seat is very wobbly, and if I lean too much on the upper part of the seat I think it may break because of the weight. Is the seat "frame" broken? I still have the lower portion but the motor on it is completely dead. I watched Joe's Junkyard tip video a few days after I found out the motor was dead :(

When you say that you replaced the upper half, do you mean the entire seatback, and what about the condition of the handle now- was that replaced?

I did grab an extra mirror switch if you need one... It was a windfall day at the yard, one of those where I hit the yard just after a couple of Ex's hit the floor Friday, and I found just about everything I needed for mine. I love days like that... :)

When you say that you replaced the upper half, do you mean the entire seatback, and what about the condition of the handle now- was that replaced?

I did grab an extra mirror switch if you need one... It was a windfall day at the yard, one of those where I hit the yard just after a couple of Ex's hit the floor Friday, and I found just about everything I needed for mine. I love days like that... :)

Yes the seat back. I should've made that more clear. The handle was replaced with the seat back. I didn't get out the yard on thursday or friday, my 05 explorer was being a pain :rolleyes:. Then today, it is was raining. I'll PM you about the mirror switch. The handle was completely broken when I replaced the seatback. There was nothing but a metal stub left.

I was out in the rain today.

To get YOU a mirror switch.

Next weekend try and care a little more, will ya?

lol! :p: :D

PS- I think you need a new handle. It's supposed to rain on Sunday here, let me know if you need one and I'll go out AGAIN in the rain... Ha ha! :)

I was out in the rain today.

To get YOU a mirror switch.

Next weekend try and care a little more, will ya?

lol! :p: :D

PS- I think you need a new handle. It's supposed to rain on Sunday here, let me know if you need one and I'll go out AGAIN in the rain... Ha ha! :)

Thanks, a lot. I'll get the handle. Haha, I could've gone out in the rain, but I didn't want to. :p: I'll try and care a little more next weekend. I've meant to go to the junkyard for a few days... Maybe monday I can go to the yard.

I've bought stuff from Joe. He's been reputable.

I just need an excuse out to the JY. I haven't been in two weeks :eek: its been killing me not to go.

Why is it so much fun to go to the yard and mill around? I can't explain it, but it's true... :)

DIY is in peoples blood.

It occupies time (in a good way) and I can do what I like doing best. But then its sad seeing the cash for clunker explorers :(
I need to get a ford expedition FX4 emblem. I need to add that to my list. :D

It occupies time in a good way- until I always seem to walk out $200 poorer! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My purchases aren't that expensive...yet.

Back