U Joints? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

U Joints?

Well I want to change the gear oil so will have the diff cover off anyways.
Figured while I’m there I would do bearings and seals, check u joints.

I will prob have someone else do the front pinion seal, only because I don’t have a lift and don’t want to knock the truck off the stands and kill myself. Then it’s off to the spring shop for new rear springs, bushings, shackle bushings, etc. that should take care of things for a good long while I hope.
Ki

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rubber boot/bellows came today, so i was able to install pass axle, spindle, etc.
c clip eliminator feels ok but it is harder to turn that axle shaft than it is to turn the drivers shaft. Is this normal?

Also wheel bearings seem tight on pass side even though they are torqued the same as the drivers. Those bearings are brand new and the other side is a couple weeks old if that matters.

My auto hubs - 1 seems ok, how far out does the inner splined piece slide out?

Thanks

I would suggest try moving that c clip collar over a little, it may be putting too much pressure on things. I'm only basing that on your description, not on its actual location in your pic...

That whole eliminator thing is very 'flexible', IMO. Before someone came up with the collar idea, it was just a spring slipped over the shaft end, that's how mine is. So it seems to me that you could get use the collar to fine tune the amount of tension, by setting it in or out.

10-4 I will attempt to remove the snap ring down in there.

Mine is also a spring on top of the axle shaft sitting inside the slip yoke.
It took me several attempts to get the correct tension and length of the spring so that it would stay together but still allow flex. I blew the dust cap off of the yoke at least twice before I finally welded the dust cap in place AND added a large washer welded on top of that. It has not come apart since, like it did in the middle of Moab for me one year.
I like this design with the clamp/collar much much better I will probably change out to this style unless I go solid axle or D44 TTB, I am still up in the air on that one.

Jamie, if you want a collar, pm me your address. I have a few extra

It installed fine, i could push the spindle in by hand but it didn’t go easy.

I am beyond pissed at shock warehouse.
Paid extra for 2 day shipping, took 3 days. Then they finally show up and installed 1 shock, great! Went to install pass side shock and there is no hardware in the box, only the shock. I ordered one on amazon and it was cheaper than I paid those clowns.
They will not pick up phone or respond to emails or their live chat.
I originally ordered bilstein but they were backordered until Halloween. Not being able to wait that long, they sent KYB modmax. I could not be more clear that I needed the shocks ASAP. I have guy coming to redo driveway on Monday and I need the truck out of the garage. I guess I could drive it without shocks but that sounds dangerous.

So now instead of moving the truck out of the garage tonight and enjoying the weekend, I’m sitting here writing this rant. Sorry for the ***** session but that is terrible customer service so I would not recommend these people to anyone.

you can move the truck without shocks no problem, it will just be bouncy
Screw bilstein they are not that great, overpriced shocks IMO the quality went downhill when they became the shock of choice for everyone with a Jeep.
(I had a few bilstein problems with my wifes FJ so I moved on)

Ordering things online is fun! Half my life is spent waiting for parts :)

Tell me about it. Trying to find parts that you can actually get in your hands quickly or look at before you buy is becoming damn near impossible. Nothing is ever in stock, everything is a special order, etc. Super annoying and makes getting stuff done difficult.

My auto hubs are done I think. I was able to remove the little snap ring from the middle, what a PITA. The assembly won’t come out, but now I see there is another snap ring up at the top. I don’t have a vise and the big snapring seems to be in there pretty tight. Now I want to get it off just to see how the stupid thing works.
But everything is all loosely goosey in there, also I have no thrust washers behind the inner part of the hub that sits on the spindle. Not sure if that would affect whether they lock or not. I can get the splined shaft to move out with my fingers, holding it in both hands off the truck. The engagement is not smooth and I have to jiggle/wiggle it while pulling and turning to get it to slide outwards. They just seem kinda loose and worn. This is on one hub, the other one is locked up tight. It will spin but not slide out at all.

So I need some manual hubs. I would like to get Warn hubs even though they are more expensive as I think the cheaper ones look cheesy (just my opinion) but probably work fine. The Warns just look right to me.
Wondering if anyone has a line on the cheapest price for Warn hubs and the conversion kits with the new bearing nuts/washers? I noticed that the 23 spline seems to be cheaper but my truck has 27 splines I think.
Here is some conflicting info: amazon says these fit 23 spline
https://www.amazon.com/WARN-29071-S...&sr=8-1&keywords=Warn+hubs+1994+Ford+Explorer

Bronco graveyard says it fits 27 spline?
WARN HUB,BRONCO II,EXPLORER 90-94 Dana 35 29071-Broncograveyard.com

I am seeing the hardware kits for around $20 which I will need 2 of. I don’t mind spending money but this started off as a wheel bearing replacement that turned into a huge project so a little savings would be nice.

Thanks for any feedback!

Well I ordered the Warns from Bronco Graveyard along with 2 nut/washer kits and ordered a socket as well. Will install when they arrive.
I’ll put the autos back on so I can drive the truck once that shock comes tomorrow.
Will be the first time I have driven it in weeks

I think I messed up and ordered 2 nut/washer kits when I only really need 1. Oh well I’ll maybe sell them to someone here or keep them lmao

23 spline is for a D28 axle, on B2s and some Rangers.
Yes, from the looks in the pic, you only need one pack of the hardware, oh well.
That socket is the poorer functioning design, there's one that has a fat lip around the prongs to help keep the socket from slipping off. You'll see when you use it.

I know it's after the fact, and may have already be shared in this thread, but here's the info thread on hubs: Solved - Your Stock Auto/Manual hub info - Ranger / 91-94 X

I read about the D28, my confusion was that 2 different places listed the same Warn part # one said it was for 23 spline, 1 said it was for 27 spline.
Thanks for the heads up on the socket if it sucks I can figure something out.
Sucks I just bought a 2-3/8” hub socket for the autohubs too, got to use it once lol

Finally!!!
Shock came today, installed it, hubs and wheels. Re-torqued wheel bearings pass side.
Put truck on ground, torqued pivot bolts, swaybar endlinks and upper balljoints pinch bolts.
Drove the truck omfg what a difference! The rear still needs some work but wow. Takes corners hood stays flat, no more nosedive on braking. PS pump not whining from trying to turn frozen u joints. Potholes are smooth and quiet, no more brake pad rattle.
I’m very impressed with the ride, and glad I did all of this work even though it almost killed me lol. Still slight vibration on hgwy but is improved. Still needs an alignment tho

Still need to install manual hubs and pinion seal before I can use the 4x4 but 4x2 is working good finally got the thing out of the garage.
Happy days!

Now we are talking!!
Whatever doesn't kill you makes your truck ride better
Your hub socket collection is in its infancy, someday you will have a family of them like I do...used once or not, to have them all on tap is a good thing!

Now we are talking!!
Whatever doesn't kill you makes your truck ride better
Your hub socket collection is in its infancy, someday you will have a family of them like I do...used once or not, to have them all on tap is a good thing!
@410Fortune
I've found that my big collection of 3/4-drive sockets has proved invaluable for providing a variety of different-diametered "drifts" to press bearings in and out: namely rear wheel bearings in the knuckle. imp

i'm with 410 I hate people that beat the wheel nuts up with a chisel
roscoe

Back