Ugh, new car one key - need clear info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ugh, new car one key - need clear info

rocket22

Reaction score
City, State
La Grange, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xlt 4 wd
I picked up a 2002 explorer to replace my 2000 explorer (RIP) and only got one key. I have read I need two keys to program one or I need a locksmith/dealer.

Questions:
Where can I buy a key that works for this car that is uncut.
Is there anyway I can program with one?
If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to get this done cheap?
I am in Chicagoland area

can't program with one key, it requires at least 2.
you can go to walmart and have the existing key duplicated (chip cloning), it's different from programming the key to the ecu (that's why it's cheaper at $65 vs the dealer's)

I picked up a 2002 explorer to replace my 2000 explorer (RIP) and only got one key. I have read I need two keys to program one or I need a locksmith/dealer.

Questions:
Where can I buy a key that works for this car that is uncut.
Is there anyway I can program with one?
If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to get this done cheap?
I am in Chicagoland area

I've picked up multiple keys and fobs and even switchblade/flip keys from ebay for our Fords..

Artiway is the seller I normally buy from (good quality flip keys). He is only listing his keys down to 2003 explorer BUT from looking at other 2002 key ads on ebay, the 2002 and 2003 etc use the same key/fob so maybe you can use the 2003 explorer one from artiway...

As to programming.. You will need a good locksmith or the dealer to program the key since you only have 1.

I suggest once you have a new one, buy a 3rd and even a 4th key and program the last 2 yourself. As long as you never have less than 2 keys you can always program any new ones yourself..

~Mark

Thanks all for the quick response, this has always been a great forum and glad to stay in the explorer group. I bought a very cheap runner, so I will be junkyarding for parts and using this forum for help!

Back