• Register Today It's free!

Uh oh...help?

Wolfie_85

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
I checked my oil. I didn't like what I saw. I had this thick, creamy colored stuff at the top, by the handle of the dipstick. The oil itself looked fine, not milky at all. Coolant looked a healthy shade of green. No milky stuff on the oil cap, either.

Now, I've heard some say that short trips can cause this because the engine doesn't get warm enough to get rid of the condensation. I've also heard it could be a PCV valve. But I'm scared it could be a head hasket or head issue.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, now there is some on the oil cap. Oil is still clean, so is coolant.

Is there just a little on the cap and the top of the stick? If so, it could very well just be condensation. I'd keep a very close eye on it, though. Try changing the oil, so you can get a better idea of the condition of the oil in the pan.

I think I might try changing the PCV valve. couldn't hurt at this point.

PCV is cheap. I did mine but the hose is a little pinched, been meaning to replace it too.

If the oil on the end of the dipstick is still clear, don't worry too much. When changing the oil, make sure the engine is hot hot hot and remove the oil fill cap as the first thing you do, this will vent moisture out. Then leave the plug and filter out for a while. I usually let mine sit for an hour or two. This is especially helpful on small engines that don't have breathers.

I replaced the PCV valve and drove a while, so we'll see. I'm also going to test the coolant for hydrocarbons today.

I replaced the PCV valve and did a hydrocarbon test on the coolant to be sure there wasn't any combustion gases/chemicals in it (my worry was headgasket). Test was negative. I then drove a while and got the engine nice and hot. There wasn't any of the crud I mentioned above on the top of the dipstick (by the handle), or on the oil cap. I think I had a venting (PCV) problem.

I will continue to keep an eye on it, though. Thanks, guys!

Anything anyone can suggest, just to be sure?

Ok, so there is still a little bit of the creamy stuff showing up on the top of the dipstick. Not much. Irrotating to narrow this down. The oil isn't "cloudy" or creamy looking. Still nothing in the coolant, either. As I said above, the hydrocarbon test I did on the coolant didn't show combustion gases/chemicals. No copious white smoke from the exhaust. My drive to work on most occasions is 20 minutes, city driving. There are some short trips in there.

It is getting colder out, and this is the first year I've owned the truck, so I can't say if it ever did this before. I just didn't have this happen in the summer. Should I still worry about the headgasket?

Sorry if I seem persistent or obsessive, but I have little experience with the 4.0 Ford engine (dad had two of them, but I always tinkered with my 3.8 GM as a teen and gave his truck little thought), and I don't want to overlook a serious issue or think I have a serious issue and needlessly waste money.

As long as your oil, antifreeze and trans fluids are their proper colors and transparency, I wouldn't think twice about it. My oil fill cap has a slight brown color on the underside to it but no fluids ever mix. When you get a milkshake color and your transparency goes away, time to dig into it. You should always be able to see the marks on the dipstick through the oil. If it's too dirty or NOT transparent, change it and re-assess. Like this:

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/DirtyBird133/media/bullshit-1.jpg.html

I dont have that going on. My oil resembles oil. But the milky coating on the dipstick by the handle freaked me out. Made me think the worst at first. I also thought condensation, and leaning toward that at the moment. Thanks for the help!

Back