• Register Today It's free!

Uh-oh..I broke my 95..

Texan01

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
So I have a 323,000 mile 1995 XLT with the pushrod 4.0 and automatic. Last night I was getting on the highway and working it rather hard, got it to 70 and wound up the engine to 4,000 rpm (nothing new for this mill) it cruised along for a bit then lost all engine power.

Coasted off the highway and tried to restart it, it just sounds like there is no compression or the plugs are all out of it, no rods sticking through the block, and it builds great pressure for a factory bottom-end engine with 300k+ miles on it, the belt spins, and no weird noises are coming from it.

i'm thinking that it jumped time or the bolt on the cam sprocket backed out enough to have it slip off the dowel pin. Is the pushrod 4.0 an interference engine? I've read that the SOHC is, but nothing conclusive on the OHV

And thanks for the ribbing on the FB site.. I needed that! 5.0 swap would be more fun with a newer X than my 95.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does sound like the chain broke.

i believe both 4.0L's are interference engines.

Well a quick diag in the garage, since I haven't had a chance to really do anything save shove it into the garage and not look at it. It tried to start but failed, and I hear chuffs through the intake or exhaust like its trying to fire up. I think its jumped enough teeth that its no longer in sync, must have broken the guides, won't know till I tear into it.

I hope its not an interference design, as its got recently milled heads on it.

Well the good news... it didn't exactly jump time. the bad news is I have to find a new key for the crankshaft and toss a new timing set on it. as the crank sprocket is cracked and missing a tooth.

I saw your video. That is weird. Might want to check if the camshaft was binding?

Had a first Gen about 12 years ago did the same thing, it ended up being the worn out valve train, bent pushrod made a lifter **** in the bore and jam the cam,

Put it all back together with a new chain set, tensioner, cleaned the oil pressure sender port out and it started up and runs nice and quiet. No more clatter.

Back