UHaul towing with Ford Explorer NOT ALLOWED!!?!?!?!!???? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UHaul towing with Ford Explorer NOT ALLOWED!!?!?!?!!????

So they took the Mountaineer out of the loop I guess? I haven't had to tow anything from U-haul except once. My Mountaineer does fairly well at towing, but really the best to use are the later 2002+ models. Those with five gears in the V8 5R55W trans are endowed with a much better 3.2:1 first gear. That is far better for towing around town than older trucks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For ****s sake a decade and a half later and you still can't rent a trailer from them!!
UHAUL COMPLETELY ****ED ME OVER NOW I HAVE TO DITCH ALL MY FURNITURE MOVING I HAVE NO COST EFFECTIVE WAY TO MOVE IT

For ***** sake a decade and a half later and you still can't rent a trailer from them!!
UHAUL COMPLETELY ****** ME OVER NOW I HAVE TO DITCH ALL MY FURNITURE MOVING I HAVE NO COST EFFECTIVE WAY TO MOVE IT
What part of Arizona you in? Some rent it on the app and self pickup after hours to avoid this issue.

For ***** sake a decade and a half later and you still can't rent a trailer from them!!
UHAUL COMPLETELY ****** ME OVER NOW I HAVE TO DITCH ALL MY FURNITURE MOVING I HAVE NO COST EFFECTIVE WAY TO MOVE IT
Get on market and buy a cheap trailer. Put new tires on it, sell it at the destination.

Or, make your reservation online as a mountaineer of the same spec.

They didn’t screw you. Your lack of preparation screwed you. This is nothing new.

Have a friend rent it. Get some imagination.

its been a thing for years. rent as a mounty and pick up after, or have a buddy bring another vehicle to pick it up and then you drive it all the way to where you are going. josh is a good guy, if it works out

I want to apologize for my outburst earlier. I was under a lot of stress and the Uhaul situation caught me by surprise. Glad I check ahead of time. 😓

Thanks to all for the offers of help and the advice. I still have plenty of time to move I'm just going to play it safe and sell off my furniture and do one trip to move. I don't really need it all anyhow and I'm not comfortable trying to pull a trick on them to get one of their trailers.

Sorry again for the big hoo-ha and screw uhaul.

I want to apologize for my outburst earlier. I was under a lot of stress and the Uhaul situation caught me by surprise. Glad I check ahead of time. 😓

Thanks to all for the offers of help and the advice. I still have plenty of time to move I'm just going to play it safe and sell off my furniture and do one trip to move. I don't really need it all anyhow and I'm not comfortable trying to pull a trick on them to get one of their trailers.

Sorry again for the big hoo-ha and screw uhaul.
all good man!

I had my issues with U-Haul with my 98 Mountaineer in about 2004 or so, before I knew about the issue. They asked me if I had an Explorer, and when I mentioned I owned a 93 model, they told me I couldn't use that to tow with. It wasn't a problem for me then, but I didn't like their attitude, the employees were aggressively forceful in their talk about the Explorer. I had the Firestone tires on my 93 at the time, they were fine and I wore them out.

I rented one a month ago, no problem or questions. They hooked it up.

Definitely better off going to an independent place that has trailers, than a uhaul owned place.

That recall was only supposed to apply to the 2nd gen Explorers, those which had the recalled Firestone tires. So any other year or model etc, should always have been off that list to deny. This doesn't come up that often, I thought they would have been wise and dropped that about 15 years ago. It should have only applied to the suspect tires anyway, not the vehicles.

I rented one a month ago, no problem or questions. They hooked it up.
i believe once the Xs went unibody (2011) there was no more restriction, its the 1-4gs i believe. or maybe it was lifted for the 4g? nah im pretty sure its 5g+ is ok

The door tags with tire pressures is greatly to blame for most of the roll overs. Those pressures are too low for all tires now, given current maximum pressures, and these 4400 pound trucks. With the recommended pressures being too low, those people with the failures could or did not notice their pressures being much lower than that. It is very hard to tell the difference between 26psi and 15psi visually, which is how most people "check" their tires.

We are all supposed to make an accurate pressure test of our tires regularly, but of course very few people do.

U-haul is obviously nuts/biased, for who knows what reason. All they needed to do was to make their own requirements for tire pressures, and actually make the pressure test themselves. They should discuss the tire pressures with their customers, all of them, not just for the Explorers. Ignorance kills, it's a shame but true.
They are listening to their lawyers, who told them the rollover problem made it harder to defend any accident involving Explorers because of the rollovers. I don't know if their lawyers or U Haul has not updated computers in 25 years, but agree with everyone that it is stupid. Everyone else has moved on. Ford seems to be selling plenty of Explorers.

They are listening to their lawyers, who told them the rollover problem made it harder to defend any accident involving Explorers because of the rollovers. I don't know if their lawyers or U Haul has not updated computers in 25 years, but agree with everyone that it is stupid. Everyone else has moved on. Ford seems to be selling plenty of Explorers.
Why would there be anything to update? Newer Explorers can rent uhaul trailers without issue.

Why would there be anything to update? Newer Explorers can rent uhaul trailers without issue.
That did not seem to be what others were saying. If they approve newer, then they have caught up. I had been reading other posts before you went and "corrected" everyone.

It is not restricted to just 2nd gen explorers, U-haul won't rent trailers to 3rd and 4th gen too, only 2011 and newer 5th gen/6th can. Try to rent one on their website, input a 2009 model year and you get, Quote:

U-Haul has chosen not to rent behind this tow vehicle based on our history of excessive costs in defending lawsuits involving Ford Explorer towing combinations. This policy is not related to safety issues. This is an unusual circumstance for U-Haul – we have built our success for over 60 years by saying 'yes' to our customers. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and are committed to working with our customers to find alternative options to help with their move. ")

I agree that it's absurd, but I do agree with them about 2nd gen explorers, with the Firestone tires at the time, underinflated to Ford's spec, shouldn't have been towing much and I can understand IF they had only refused that specific combo.

They will rent to a 2nd Gen (1st really) and 3rd Gen Mountaineer. So there’s that.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They will rent to a 2nd Gen (1st really) and 3rd Gen Mountaineer. So there’s that.
yep the mounties weren't included in that, since they arent explorers in their eyes, even though same platform suspension etc.

Back