Ummm... Trailer Hitches... 2" Can't Fit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ummm... Trailer Hitches... 2" Can't Fit?

CaptainObvious

Reaction score
City, State
Central, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
So I called my trailer parts rep today and asked about a hitch for my truck (note: It has one, it's got a 1 1/4" receiver) so I wanted to upgrade to a 2" and a heavier hitch. It's a class 2 now. I wanted class 3. He tells me something along the lines that the Class three won't fit and it's dangerous to put on there. It may rip the frame out from under the truck. WTF??? I can get hitches and crap cheap through them and now they blow this smoke at me? WTF?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

CO, Look at the post below about towing questions. One of those guys might be able to help you. I dont see why it would rip the frame off, but there are other issues to deal with. What will you be towing? If you have the 1 1/4" then you dont have the HD towing package. I tow a small boat on mine with th 1 1/4", but its a small sea doo boat for water skiing, knee boarding etc, its a small but very fast boat. My ex does great towing it, but its also right at the max towing weight for that hitch. If you plan on adding a class three you will probably have to do some additional mods.

I don't plan on really towing anything heavy. Maybe a couple of 4wheelers or our S&R Response Vehicle (it's a supped up 4 wheeler we're working on, kinda a work in progress). The trailer is maybe 12' long and single axle. Nothing of any weight. Just bugged by the 1 1/4 reciever. What a pain.

there are a few posts on here about it... something involes removing the bumper and upgrading to a 2" hitch.... not sure where they are though or who did them.....

That hitch works if you're on a budget, but the Ford one looks nicer and is simple to install. (no drilling, just hand tools) Check out the thread that jim linked.

Perhaps I can help here. I have a 2002 Exp xls with the standard 1 1/4" rear hitch (also have the 4.0 liter v6). I wanted to upgrade to a class III hitch. I bought (off ebay after a lot of looking) a used calss III Exp rear hitch which replaces the class II one. I also bought a new class III harness with the 7 pin connector. I have yet to do the switch but this will involve removing the rear bumper (the plastic cover) and unbolting the old class II and replacing it with the class III one. This will give the best looking class III setup, in my opinion for the gen 3 Explorer in that it will look like, and essentially be, a factory setup. Now, I will not necessarily have all the brake/differential/cooler mods to handle a class III tow load, but that's not really why I am doing this. I did this for compatibility with most things I might want to tow short distances from Home Depot, Uhaul (ha - that's a joke and another story!) and other rental places.

Tom

Tom, why did you want to upgrage to class III? You could do all that towing without any problems with a class II hitch.

I got the "mounted under frame" class III hitch to lower the receiver and avoid having to use a 6' drop receiver to keep my boat trailer level. The factory receiver is way up in the air, at least with my tires (standard EB tires 245/65-17)

BTW, most trailers, especially that you rent, use the 4 pin connector.

1-1/4 is perfect for your application!

Don't be bugged by the 1¼" receiver hitch, be glad it is there. It is very strong and Ford has done a good job designing it and not left us with the last body style ball-bumper hitch. It also has the advantage of not being unsightly- a rareity with hitches.

U-Haul has the best reveiver bars and balls to fit the 1¼ receiver. :thumbsup: The balls are forged (stronger) instead of machined. The bars are solid bar steel intead of a hollow tube, very durable and massive. They have different lengths, etc.

Ford has at least made every Explorer tow ready... not too many manufacturers do that.

As you are probably aware by now your applications are well suited for the 1¼" design..... [couple of 4wheelers or our S&R Response Vehicle (it's a supped up 4 wheeler we're working on, kinda a work in progress). The trailer is maybe 12' long and single axle. Nothing of any weight]

va4wd said:
Don't be bugged by the 1¼" receiver hitch, be glad it is there. It is very strong and Ford has done a good job designing it and not left us with the last body style ball-bumper hitch. It also has the advantage of not being unsightly- a rareity with hitches.

U-Haul has the best reveiver bars and balls to fit the 1¼ receiver. :thumbsup: The balls are forged (stronger) instead of machined. The bars are solid bar steel intead of a hollow tube, very durable and massive. They have different lengths, etc.

Ford has at least made every Explorer tow ready... not too many manufacturers do that.

As you are probably aware by now your applications are well suited for the 1¼" design..... [couple of 4wheelers or our S&R Response Vehicle (it's a supped up 4 wheeler we're working on, kinda a work in progress). The trailer is maybe 12' long and single axle. Nothing of any weight]
They do pull pretty good. I had work build me a couple of receivers, one with a 2" ball and one with a 1 7/8 ball. I bought the balls (never though I'd use that phrase... I feel dirty) through a vender.

So about the 1 1/4" hitch

What is the actual tow/ pound rating for the class II? I have a 21' ranger bass boat that i lower down the boat ramp at my lake house. No real "towing" with that boat. On the other hand, i have a 17' challenger here that i tow a couple of times a year about 20 miles....

Is the class II sufficient?

According to WomanMotorist:
  • Class I (up to 2000 pounds)
  • Class II (2000 - 3500 pounds)
  • Class III (3500 - 5000 pounds)
  • Class IV (5000 – 8000 pounds)
  • Class V (8000 - 10,000 pounds)

I'd recommend looking at the actual specs of the hitch that you'll install. That is the authoritative answer. Also remember that there are other limits set by your vehicle such as the GCWR.

Back