Uncontrolled Reving

Explorer1958

Reaction score
City, State
Newcastle , inthe state of new south wales in Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97XLT
Hello
My 97 4.0 OHV manual has developed a annoying proplem. Starts and idles OK, moves away OK and then as its heating up and any time after that, it revs to 3000rpm. Could stay there for a couple of seconds to 30 seconds before dropping back to idle. It won't rev up by itself, only does it after I push down on the accelerator pedal under load. Is happening more and more. A quick look under the hood reveals nothing obviously wrong. Any one had similar out there?.
Thanks

Solved my own problem after reading various threads including the good gear from Glacier991. Removed the IAC and gave it a clean and freed it up and now she goes better than any time in the past. Thanks Explorer Forum.:)

G'Day . Mate do you have a overheating problem as well ? I also cleaned my IAC valve but then found my thermostat was RS .I replaced it with a cooler one and it fixed it all. Cheers Foxy

Uncontrolled reving and O/Heating

Didn't effect the temp at all after giving the IAC the treatment. But did solve a previous O/Heating issue by getting the Radiator cleaned out internally. Lesson, Don't put one of those additives in the cooling circuit to seal up a leaking welsh plug, its gunna clag your radiator right up and yes I did replace the thermostat with a cooler temp one but since its winter "Down Under" now Ive got the standard one in at the moment and will probably leave it there.

See ya

Back