Unresponsive Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unresponsive Transmission

What should I do?

• Get transmission rebuilt ($2,000-$2,400)

• Get salvage yard transmission and swap them out

• Upgrade to a 4th gen (2006-2010) Explorer

• Upgrade to a 2006+ Ford Expedition

• Upgrade to a 2006+ Chevy/GMC Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon

Results are only viewable after voting.

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
Went to go get my mail today (about 1/4 mile down the road) and when I put the snifter in D after checking the mail to head back nothing happened.

Had to walk back to the house then push it back with another car.

readings%200.png
readings%201.png

All the electronics seem to be functioning the same as they were before it quit. I'm at nearly 240K on the vehicle so I don't know if it's worth fixing or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Expedition. Or, roll it back to a 5.0

I’d only keep it if it were beautiful and the chains had been addressed. Even then, probably not.

4th gen sounds about right.

george_move.gif

I GOT IT TO MOVE!

Went to go start taking stuff out of it, decided to run it, revved it to 4k and I felt a little bump, so I revved it some more and felt a couple of bumps, revved it again and a few more bumps then the engine bogged down and I started moving! Switched directions and was able to move forward. Tried reverse again and went right into it. Seems to be back to normal for it now. I'm guessing there is a sticking valve? Probably the Flow Control Valve?

I'm thinking I should change the fluid and filter and go from there...

I also think some previous idiot may have overfilled it. I went to add some fluid yesterday with it running and fluid just poured out even with it leaned to the right. It's black a burnt but no metal in it.

It if had a lot of extra fluid in it you’d have probably had trouble with it before now. These transmissions are stupidly sensitive to level.

It if had a lot of extra fluid in it you’d have probably had trouble with it before now. These transmissions are stupidly sensitive to level.

I've always had harsh shifting.

Overfilling this transmission wont hurt it but it can leak/puke fluid out the vent.

I agree the pump control valve can be a intermittent issue with no engagements and usually is a sign of transmission wear that ends up being a rebuild to fix correctly.

You will have to decide if the vehicle is worth it, car payments and unseen issues with used vehicles need to be considered.

I ask my customers would they buy their vehicle if it had a rebuilt transmission and a warranty for $2500, because its worth nothing broken.

Overfilling this transmission wont hurt it but it can leak/puke fluid out the vent.

I agree the pump control valve can be a intermittent issue with no engagements and usually is a sign of transmission wear that ends up being a rebuild to fix correctly.

You will have to decide if the vehicle is worth it, car payments and unseen issues with used vehicles need to be considered.

I ask my customers would they buy their vehicle if it had a rebuilt transmission and a warranty for $2500, because its worth nothing broken.

My issue is 240K on original timing chains. Should prob have them done while the transmission is out...

Wasn't there a build period that had metal tensioners?

Back