Climate Control Unresponsive

nmbrinkman

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT
2011 Ex XLT
Defrost/heat is blowing and I cant get it to stop. I turned it off at work with the defrost left on (I assume). When I turned it back on in the evening the defrost was blowing still and I couldn't get it to turn off. The climate control menu on the bottom right of my SYNC screen says climate control is off and when I "touch" it to access climate control it doesn't respond. ALSO, none of the "buttons" or knobs below the screen (radio on/off/volume control - climate control) work. They're unresponsive as well and are not even backlit. Is it a fuse issue? It's quite annoying. Already had it overheat a little over a year ago with the cooling fan issue. Had to have the A pillar fix for the rattle. Deal with the greasy lines on the windows when I roll them back up. And constantly have to deal with SYNC freezing and having to "perform scheduled maintenance". Now I have to drive with every window cracked to keep the cabin from becoming a dry sauna. Maybe I could put all the back seats down and turn it into a mobile bickram yoga studio. :thumbdwn:

Edit: When I try to adjust the climate control through the instrument panel via steering wheel mounted controls I get a warning saying something about a temporarily loss of communications with climate control.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2011 Ex XLT
Defrost/heat is blowing and I cant get it to stop. I turned it off at work with the defrost left on (I assume). When I turned it back on in the evening the defrost was blowing still and I couldn't get it to turn off. The climate control menu on the bottom right of my SYNC screen says climate control is off and when I "touch" it to access climate control it doesn't respond. ALSO, none of the "buttons" or knobs below the screen (radio on/off/volume control - climate control) work. They're unresponsive as well and are not even backlit. Is it a fuse issue? It's quite annoying. Already had it overheat a little over a year ago with the cooling fan issue. Had to have the A pillar fix for the rattle. Deal with the greasy lines on the windows when I roll them back up. And constantly have to deal with SYNC freezing and having to "perform scheduled maintenance". Now I have to drive with every window cracked to keep the cabin from becoming a dry sauna. Maybe I could put all the back seats down and turn it into a mobile bickram yoga studio. :thumbdwn:

Edit: When I try to adjust the climate control through the instrument panel via steering wheel mounted controls I get a warning saying something about a temporarily loss of communications with climate control.
That would be rather annoying. I guess you could try a Master Reset but I don't know what you may lose as far saved memory. The old fuse 29 pull is another option if you can get at the panel. Also I guess you could try a disconnect/connect of the battery keeping in mind that this will require the 'relearning' of various programs by the Explorer itself.

Peter

Tried the master reset. Didn't work. The wife had to drive it this morning. She just took it straight to the dealership. Guess it's best that way. I just hate being without the family truckster.

Hello nmbrinkman,

I realize this post is a few years old, but I was just curious what was done to fix this issue? I am experiencing the same issue right now.

Thanks!

- Matt

Welcome to the Forum mattvanooyen:wavey:
The post you replied to was the last one that the member posted (Dec. 12, 2012). I would suggest to try and send him a Private Message to see if he is even still a member here.

Matt, if you've tried the Master Reset and it didn't work you can also try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 - 10 minutes. Be advised that disconnecting/reconnecting the battery will cause some items to be relearned such as transmission shift points and the idle and trim fuel settings.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum mattvanooyen:wavey:
The post you replied to was the last one that the member posted (Dec. 12, 2012). I would suggest to try and send him a Private Message to see if he is even still a member here.

Matt, if you've tried the Master Reset and it didn't work you can also try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 - 10 minutes. Be advised that disconnecting/reconnecting the battery will cause some items to be relearned such as transmission shift points and the idle and trim fuel settings.

Peter

Thanks Peter! I have sent out a PM to see.

Also, I have tried the Master Reset, which changed nothing for me. It's almost like a fuse is blown that controls the Climate System/Hazard Lights/ and touch controls on the radio, below the Touch Screen. The Touchscreen works just fine, its just the Climate control issue. Odd. I will likely have to bring it into the dealership ASAP, considering its going to be 90 degrees here tomorrow, and I now have no A/C....great!

2011 Ex XLT

Back