Updating SYNC Image Loop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Updating SYNC Image Loop

Jamicsto

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014, Explorer Sport
So I just recently bought a 2014 Explorer sport. Being a techy one of the first things I wanted to do was update MFT since it was still at the same version that came out of the factory in 2013. I went out to Ford owner site, entered my VIN and it told me there was an update available. Downloaded and extracted it to my usb drive went out and started the vehicle and started the update. At some point during the update the screen went black which I read was normal. After about an hour and fifteen minutes it was still black. I shut the car off and now the MFT boots to a screen displaying "Updating SYNC Image", "Waiting for USB Device" is displayed along the bottom. After a minute or two, "No USB Device Found, Canceling update" is displayed and the process restarts. I've tried disconnecting the battery cable to no avail. Anyone had this issue? If so, were you able to fix?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Just want to clarify one thing. When you downloaded the update did you download it to your computer first and then to the USB?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Just want to clarify one thing. When you downloaded the update did you download it to your computer first and then to the USB?

Peter
Yes. Then extracted it to the root of the usb drive using 7zip.

See this post and the 2 following in another thread; MFT Update V3.10
FYI, I have never unzipped any files. I think I only had 3 files on my USB.
System Volume Information
autoinstall.lst
DONTINDX.MSA

Now the above are from a Sync 3 update but I'm quite sure they were about the same for my MFT update.

Peter

I don't recall a user fix being available for that. A dealer will have to update it if it isn't damaged beyond repair. Your vehicle may still be under program #12M02 which is a 5 year warranty on the APIM. If the vehicle in service date is at 5 years or less it would be covered. Better contact a dealer ASAP. Hopefully your vehicle warranty started later than 1/24/14. If you send me the VIN via message I can check it rather quickly as well.

Just replying here since I’m always running into forum posts with no updates/resolutions...

I did not get this fixed. I had been contemplating doing the sync 3 upgrade kit from 4dtech and this pushed me over the edge. jmr061 checked on the 12m02 and it was expired.

Back