Updating SYNC/My Ford Touch with a Droid or Iphone | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Updating SYNC/My Ford Touch with a Droid or Iphone

Hawk312

Reaction score
City, State
York, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I am just wondering if this is possible. I just downloaded the SYNC update, and it is telling me to copy the file to a USB thumb drive. Is it possible to just copy the file to my phone (6GB free) and update it that way, if I don`t have a USB drive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No.

It has to be done through the USB Flash Drive. The files have to be in the root folder (very first folder) of the flash drive.

Follow the update directions exactly, its not like updating a device or a PC/Mac and you cant substitute steps or omit any steps.

Doing anything other than the directions can result in a failed update, which you wont know about until its 'finished' - finishing a successful update can be 20-40 min, one that has gone bad can be the same time or take hours to let you know.

Agreedm don't screw around with this and makes sure to give the time it needs to complete. I did this by driving to work (thou radio will cut out from time to time as it updates/power cycles) and was done before I arrived at the office (25 minutes or so to complete)

And make sure the vehicle is running or the 911 emerg assist app will not install.

Back