Upgrade to locking differential?

Hitchhikingmike

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLS
Hey guys, I've got a quick question, your help would be appreciated.

I've got an '02 2x4 explorer. I am interested in upgrading my rear open differential to a locking differential.

Question #1: Can I just keep my current differential housing and easily regut it to make it locking?

Question #2: If the above is not possible, would it be easy for me to find a locking differential elsewhere to swap with my current differential?

I have never worked on a differential before, or even touched one for that matter, so my knowledge is limited in this area.

One more question, what types of locking differentials are there? I know there are manuals with the switches on the end of the axles on the wheel hubs (but is that possible with a FIS?) and there are the limited slip ones with the automatic clutches inside.

Thanks.

Hey guys, I've got a quick question, your help would be appreciated.

I've got an '02 2x4 explorer. I am interested in upgrading my rear open differential to a locking differential.

Question #1: Can I just keep my current differential housing and easily regut it to make it locking?

Question #2: If the above is not possible, would it be easy for me to find a locking differential elsewhere to swap with my current differential?

I have never worked on a differential before, or even touched one for that matter, so my knowledge is limited in this area.

One more question, what types of locking differentials are there? I know there are manuals with the switches on the end of the axles on the wheel hubs (but is that possible with a FIS?) and there are the limited slip ones with the automatic clutches inside.

Thanks.
Yes, you can install what is called a lunchbox locker, which only replaces the spider gears, or a full carrier locker which replaces the original carrier. There are 2 type of lockers, automatic and selectable.

Locking hubs have nothing to do with lockers, they simply disengage the axle shafts from the wheel.

Limited slips are not lockers, they do not positively lock and will slip off-road.

Automatic lockers lock under power/load, selectables act as open diffs and fully lock using air pressure, electricity or a cable depending on the model. Selectables are only available as full carrier units. Obvious pros and cons of selectables is they drive just like normal diffs on the road and fully lock at your will, but they are expensive and require a lot more work to install. Automatic lockers are not as street friendly but are cheaper and the lunchbox style are dirt simple to install.

At least I'm pretty sure it's still possible to put a locker in the IRS explorers because they still use an 8.8...

Back