Upgrade Torsion Bars? | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade Torsion Bars?

bout to resurrect an old thread, but I gots questions!

:dead:

I'm going to replace my H rated bars with A rated bars. we were able to pull the junkyard bars without the aid of a gear puller/torsion bar tool. would I need one for the bars on my truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Greets!

I am installing a Curtis homepro plow on my 97 sport. Actually the plow is installed and now it sags a bit as expected so I ordered the #1 torsion bars thanks to this thread from HERE. Im sure this will help but probably will not elimanate the sag so I am also installing Timbrens .... Best Price I found on them was from Rock Auto.

I considered air bags and found some HERE. While the adjustability of air bags would be nice, I opted for the simplicity of Timbrens. They are widely recommended in the plowing communities.

I will take it easy.... don't worry. I've read all the warnings about plows on the X....

Just wanted to say thanks for this forum and all of the info it contains. It's been very helpful!!

An update. Not too long after my last post I had the new bars installed. It was a real chore to remove the bars since I live in upstate ny with all the salt. Once loose in the back, the fronts were stuck. My buddy held a solid steel bar on the front of the torsion bar and I wailed on it with a 10 pound fence maul many many times after heating it with an oxy/act torch. They finally came out.

The ride if firm but not harsh. I like it actually. Now with my rather light plow (450#) the front does not sag nearly as much as with the stock bars. It's acceptable for now and working ok. I have plowed a few times with success.

Yes, I know this is a Torsion Bar thread, but since its been brought up... Are the leaf springs in a sport trac any.. firmer.. than the explorers? If so I might as well find a salvage Sport Trac and pull both the TB's and the Leafs..

This any help? Use VIN on bottom link for accuracy.
I got this from my Ford guy today.

PART NUMBER_________DESCRIPTION
F67Z 5B326-FB...........LH,SPRING CODE 1
F67Z 5B326-FA...........RH,SPRING CODE 1

Just in case anyone wants to know the part number of the "B" rated torsion bar

PART NUMBER_________DESCRIPTION
F57Z 5B327-A...........LH,SPRING CODE B
F57Z 5B326-A...........RH,SPRING CODE B

They did not have any specs on the torsion bars. I am hoping one of the Ford Engineers will be able to shed some light on this.

http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...-engine/front-suspension-cat/torsion-bar-scat

Bringing up an old thread again. Was really interested to read that the Sport Tracs had stiffer Torsion Bars than the Explorers. I figured I'd pick a set up. Then I checked the spring codes on my 2000 Eddie Bauer and found it already has a spring code of "1F". If I was reading correctly the "B" was the stiff bars for the Explorers... So I've already got the stiffest bars available?

After about two ears of trying to convert my 2001 Explorer Sport to coil overs I gave up. Nobody makes the brackets anymore. So I then tried to get better shocks but what I had on the Ford was as good as it was going to get. I went so far as to call ARB in Australia about Ford Rangers and their version of the Explorer. They had nothing but gave me a clue of where to go next. Ford! After reading all the past notes I went to Ford and told them what I needed .. parts guy ordered it and I had the new torsion bars two days later. My door code said 'D3' .. so I ordered the '1' and had Desert Rat install them. Brian, the mechanic at Rat told me he didn't think they would work, the ride would be way to stiff .. but we went ahead with it and after he was amazed that the ride was much better! So the bars along with the Rancho 5000's .. which were on the front already .. really made a difference not only in the handling but the Ford steers differently now .. to the better! If you are going to do this read all the info on this whole post. It will give you a good idea of what to expect.

Back