• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Upgrade Torsion Bars?

blichy

Reaction score
City, State
Naperville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'13 Explorer Sport
I am not certain if this is true for all Ranger FX4's, but mine came with "1" torsion bars according to the door jam (the part number that Ray provided looks like what I saw too).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

ExplorerEB96

Elite Explorer<br>Explorer Babe
Reaction score
City, State
Spring Hill Florida (Weeki Wachee) from Bucks County PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB-gone 13 Honda Pilot
Has anyone been able to find out the

answer to this question?

Are Sport Trac code 1 bars stiffer? Are they interchangable between explorers? I have "B" bars but would like to upgrade.....but the dealerships are lacking in any help. They say the only way to tell if they will fit is to try it.....but I would have to buy the part first and pay the labor ....even if they don't fit.....and they will not take the bar back..... I just want to know if anyone has done this yet?

Karol

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
Karol, yes they are stiffer and yes they will work. The Sport Trac front suspension is the same as the SLA explorers and rangers.

ExplorerEB96

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jason

sorry to ask this over and over and for being a pain in the a$$ ....but is anybody really sure that these torsion bars will fit a 96? The sport trac didn't come out until later....I want to be at least 95% positive that they will because I will have to buy them and hope they will fit...... I can always sell them on ebay I guess but I don't want to go that route if I don't have to.....

Karol

KSpride

Reaction score
City, State
Ft Bliss TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '97 XLT
Bump

I figured I would bump this since no one has actually fitted them. If so.. they haven't said anything. I am referencing the "1" rated bars.

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
I don't know either FOR ABSOLUTE sure... I got back from overseas a few weeks ago and forgot about this thread. Ford is generally pretty good with interchangabilty between different model explorers and suspension parts. I know my shocks and leaf springs are interchangable. If that isn't ambiguous enough for you :rolleyes: All that I have read is that the Sport Trac Front is the same as the Explorer with a Ranger (strengthened) frame, and it is made in Louisville with the Ex and Mounty.
:chug:

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Talk Johnstone into a SAS with his bada$$ Sport Trac, and see if someone can do some research with his T-Bars :D

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
Re: We may be on the right Trac

Originally posted by GJarrett

What about Expedition bars or (fill in the blank)? I'd go around crawling under vehicles tonight but it's raining cats and dogs here right now.
So get this.. In my attempt to find longer torsion bar adjuster bolts, we went to our local FoMoCo and had the parts guy look up the torsion bolt of an F150. Its actually the same size as ours, and the wierder thing was, the Explorer torsion bars and the F150 torsion bars had the same part # (Both were B rated). I always thought that F150's had longer torsion bars, but the part #'s were the same....

Take out of that what you will...:monkey:

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
:rolleyes: :eek: :banghead:

i give up...

ExplorerEB96

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
Well we are about to find out

I purchased rated 1 bars and JDraper is doing my lift....when he takes out my B bars he will attempt to put in the rated 1 bars.....so I will keep everyone updated ...when I hear you will hear..

Karol

liquidx9

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX (home) Ripon, WI (school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
5.0 AWD 97 Limited
definatly interested in keeping up to speed on this

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Well, we know know that "1" bars will fit an Explorer. I test fit them today and they are the same length and have the same mounts as the B Bars. I haven't installed them completely yet because I am waiting on the T-Bar isolators to arrive. The B-Bars I took out measure 1.065" in diameter, and the 1 Bars measure 1.110" in diameter, so they should be stronger, all other things being equal (metallurgy, heat treat, etc)

KSpride

Reaction score
City, State
Ft Bliss TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '97 XLT
Thanks

I am really glad you kept us up to date on this... Aprreciate it alot

ExplorerEB96

Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
Thanks!

I'm relieved that I didn't have to lug those bars into the UPS and ship them to you for nothing!!! damn things were heavy.....

Karol

Ray Lobato

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Honda Accord
Well I just finished putting my Fathers day present in today and I concur that the rated "1" bar do infact FIT!
I did get some height back, but not as much as I had hoped for. The drivers side is cranked all the way in, and the passenger side has got about 1/2" left.
Now I must admit that the 200 pounds of winch and grill guard don't help, but I thought I would get more height. They are setting at about 5 degrees past horizontal. Better than them sitting flat with them cranked all the way. I do not believe that they are that much stiff than the "B" rated bars.
I do have pictures of the installation in my gallery if anyone has any questions about what this stuff looks like.
JDraper, Thanks for the info. I took your advice and just bought the universal gear puller, it worked just fine. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

JDraper

Somewhat Functional
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
McVeytown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'18 XLT
Ray, you might want to consider rotating your t-bar arms one slot to get more height. With Karol's truck, I had no problem getting her truck back to where it belongs with a winch, skid plate, rocksliders, etc on it. Now, she also has the 4" superlift, but take a look at Gerald's writeup on his torsion bars. If I remember correctly, he rotated them because he wasn't getting enough lift out of them.

becker69

Reaction score
City, State
Centennial, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
Ray, glad to hear that they fit, and I am sorry that they weren't too much of an increase... but hopefully at least worth the labor to do the job :) Jeff, I haven't read it in awhile but I think Gerald discovered that his Tortions were a rotation off of what they should have been from the factory.... ie; faulty install from the beginning; although it's definately worth a shot.

Now, something else I have been thinking of is (and just a bit off-topic) will a Sport Tracs leaf Springs give a standard explorer (sport/4-door) a small to moderate lift in the rear?? Just wondering :confused: Not that it would be that much more cost effective for anyone, but for if it did work out; it may help some that don't want to use an AAL, or lower their back-end with trail ride goodies :D I know the Sport Trac supposedly has more of a payload (I think 1K-1.5K) or so... so it only makes sense..... it seems?!

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
I had similar results with mine. After putting on the new bars it barely made a noticable difference with the winch and brushguard on there.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Ray Lobato

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Honda Accord
I have been driving it around and do have to admit that it does ride smoother and more responsive than the old T-bars.
I might try and move them a notch and see how they work.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Trckmagik UPGRADE YOUR TORSION BARS Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
R Rfoley22 Un-conventional Suspension Upgrade Project Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 12
B Tie rods scraping body panel underneath feet after Bilstein shock upgrade. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
C Leaf Spring Upgrade for '98 Sport Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
P need some advice on sas or fix/upgrade stock Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
E Good shock upgrade... Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
P radius arm upgrade ? for a 91 4x4 Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 5
D DBR - Ranger/Explorer Clevis Steering Upgrade Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
F Shock Upgrade for Better Ride Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 16
V Suspension Upgrade or just fix it Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
F Towing / Rear Suspension Upgrade Options? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
S Rear axle hydrolic dampener upgrade Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
0 Camburg 98+ 4x4 Upgrade Installed Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 27
S Please provide advice with an upgrade. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
D D35 - D44 TTB upgrade! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
gage DANA 35 UPGRADE Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
T What to upgrade to? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
J '99 Explorer Sport 4x4 shock upgrade? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 9
I '99 Sport Rear sway bar upgrade Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
Diff Whack Daddy Cheap front sway bar upgrade for superlift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
T Bent torsion bar adjustment bolt Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 10
B Is this the correct size for longer torsion bolt? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
B Do I need longer shocks if I adjust 1/2" Torsion bars? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
N I need help doing the torsion twist. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 8
R torsion keys and shackles Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
9 torsion bars Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 6
sport97 Torsion Key Question Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
R Airbag torsion bar adjustment. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
5 Anyone have 34x10.50s with a torsion twist? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
I how to change torsion bolt Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
S Does doing a 2" torsion twist without rear shackles look bad? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
duncanNidaho Torsion Twist problems (2WD 99 sport) Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 4
C does a 1991 2 door sprt explorer have a torsion twist bar?? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
K small torsion Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1
G torsion bolt specs Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
Y Torsion Twist different height measurements! Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
S I did the torsion twist, and now I have a problem with the shocks. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 19
S Truxxx 3" Front Torsion Keys & Pro Comp Rear Add-A-Leaf Lift Kit Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 15
GJarrett Torsion/Coilover Conversion Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 150
T So I did a Torsion Twist Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 11
T Longer Torsion Bolts? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
storlied Torsion Bolts Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 34
storlied Torsion Bolts Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 12
N Springs and Torsion bar upgrades. Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 13
9 Torsion twist for dummies! (pics included) Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 199
Glen4X4 Quest on the torsion/shackle link Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 3
W Goodbye Torsion Bars Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 69
wisekise torsion bar lift Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 2
J Torsion Lift for a Ranger Edge Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 0
R does 1999 4wd v6 expos have torsion bars? Shocks, Suspensions, Lift Kits 1