Upgrade Torsion Bars? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrade Torsion Bars?

I am under the assumption that the T-bars I have are the same diam and length as an 4 or 2 door Ex. I am not sure, someone else could probably answer more authoritatively. I have not read about any of the sizes of suspension components being different.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torsion bars should be the same between Sport trac and Explorers.

Becker, there should be a plastic tag right near the A-arm that has the ford part number for each of the bars.

To figure out whichset of bars were stronger, could Igo by the diameter of the bars? Are the heavier spring rates larger than the others? Or are they all the same?

Thats what i'm trying to figure out what the stock MM size is because in the past the larger bars are stiffer, I'm guessing the stock is probably around 24mm, I would like to find bars around 26mm, 28mm

The ones I had originally were the "B" bars. We were pllanning on going stronger so called the parts manager at the local dealership. He sold the guy doing the work for me "the strongest ones Ford makes". They were put on inhopes of raising the front end backup after the added weight of the brushguard and winch. Well...the newbars are "L" rated and didn't seem to raise the front end back up. So does it sound like I ot screwed? and if so...how can I know for sure and prove it?

Did You have to use a torsion bar puller?

Thanks Jefe; ok part numbers'

Driver's side:
F67A-FA (LFA)

Pax side:
F67A-FA (RFA)

Under my spring code on my drivers sticker it says "1 2"
I take it the 1 is for the front Torsions and the 2 is for the rear springs (leafs). This is under the assumption because my Sport Trac is a fat heffer weighing 4500 lbs. Hope this helps.

OK...I finally had the chance to actually look for myself.
Here is what I found:
287759_25.jpg

Looks like a "2" bar to me...so the guy did give me the right bars...just said the wrong code on the phone.

Chris,
Is the length on the new T-bar the same as your old T-Bars?

I got this from my Ford guy today.

PART NUMBER_________DESCRIPTION
F67Z 5B326-FB...........LH,SPRING CODE 1
F67Z 5B326-FA...........RH,SPRING CODE 1

Just in case anyone wants to know the part number of the "B" rated torsion bar

PART NUMBER_________DESCRIPTION
F57Z 5B327-A...........LH,SPRING CODE B
F57Z 5B326-A...........RH,SPRING CODE B

They did not have any specs on the torsion bars. I am hoping one of the Ford Engineers will be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks for the numbers Ray...
:)
Well I am still kindof baffled as to the codes of my T-bars and their interchangeability with other explorers. The only numbers on my bars are the ones I listed;
can anyone else offer more info?! Thanks.

Douglas,
The Ford parts guys said that the T-bars from the Sport Trac and Explorer "should" be interchangable, or at least that is what was showing on their computer screen.

We may be on the right Trac

Sport Trac, that is :)
I just miked the thickness of my B bars and the left one was 1.069" and the right one was 1.072" (or maybe the right one was dirtier :) ) I found a SportTrac and its bars were .030" larger; both were around 1.10+" - so in theory they should be stronger bars. I couldn't get to the door sticker so I don't know if I was measuring "1" or "2" bars. Also, the front hex section that fits into the lower front control arm is indeed an identical 1.5" to ours. So all someone has to do now is go measure the lengths of the bars. If they're the same length I'd say we have a match.

What about Expedition bars or (fill in the blank)? I'd go around crawling under vehicles tonight but it's raining cats and dogs here right now.

If the lengths match I'll order a set and see what happens. If anyone else (Ray?) wants to try let's all order them from Torrie and give him some business at Ford Parts Network, okay? (shamless plug for sponsor, LOL )

:)

Thanks Ray and Gerald.... I will measure my bars when the rain lets up... go figure I'm in AZ and we have a rare rain going on! Plus I am on a base and I have no garage... :( Maybe I can move our Nissan and get my truck under the carport. Thanks again for clearing up the ?'s I had.

Gerald - I hope you aren't crawling around under the Ford SUVs at your local Wal-Mart. I'd hate to see the new reports that you got ran over, even if it was for the benefit of the board :)

Anyway, I wouldn't put too much into the thickness of the bars. I just measured my 'B' bars and got 1.066" for my left hand bar and 1.072" for my right hand 'B' bar. That pretty much matches yours. Where it got confusing was when I measured my factory 'D' bars. On those I measured 1.080" for my right bar and 1.082" for my left bar. It looks like Ford used a combination of steel diameter and steel strengths to determine the rating.

Well doesn't that just throw a wrench into stuff Robert :)

I wish I had an easy way to measure the diam. of mine.... but I measured mine with a complex use of a mop handle, bungee cord, tape measure, mag lite, sharpie marker.... ;) and I came out with an overall length of 42 7/8" granted this was a cursory (somewhat) measurement. As that it was difficult to compensate for the slope of the t-bar when measured to the torsion adjusting bolt (plate?) for lack of a better term.

Not too much that I am secretly hoping that I have stiffer bars, but I guess I would be surprised if Ford didn't put a stiffer bar in the front of the Sport Trac... just given the 1K lbs or so curb weight difference vrs a 2 or 4 door 4 wd... I know it doesn't seem to have made a discernable difference with other Ex's.... but does a 5K lb tow package seem to have a stiffer front?

I don't think the tow package had anything to doi with the front. Mine didnot come with the tow package, yet it still had the "b" bars up front.

Just ran out into the rain and checked my bar code. My '95 4dr has the tow package and has F bars and F leafs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I figured as much...

I kinda figured the tow pkg wouldn't have an effect.... no counting for how logical Ford was with T-bar stiffness vrs vehicle type. I hope the measurement I listed earlier is ok.

Back