Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3 | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading from MFT/Sync 2 to Sync 3

XXXX XXXX XAzz This was actually dual and auto climate, plus rear climate controls on screen, HSW disabled, Heated & cooled seats enabled on screen
Welcome to the Forum Luke.:wave:

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did this very upgrade, purchasing my complete kit from Infotainment.com. My kit took me from the basic 4" non-Nav system (already with Sirius) to the full-blown SYNC-3 w/Navigation and Sirius. Everything has continued to work just fine for the last few months since I installed it.

However, my biggest complaint was their lack of either an Explorer-specific installation video on their site, nor were any printed instructions included with the kit. I complained to them, to no avail, as anyone without even any basic knowledge of electronics would surely struggle trying to figure-out what goes where. Because I at least found some video instructions on their direct-competitor's website, I was eventually able to figure it all out and get it working!

So, to summarize my Infotainment experience, the parts were mostly brand-new OEM Ford parts, that were programmed to my vehicle's VIN and ready-to-install... but you're kind of on your own when figuring out how to install the thing!

New to the forum....after reviewing this thread I didn't see the answer to what I was looking for:

How does one connect the short USB connector to the new hub?

Thanks in advance for any tips
Terry

Welcome to the Forum Terry.:wave:

Peter

I just upgrade but having a problem with ambien lighting on a 2011 platinum. I have the option on screen and color move on screen but not the lights

I just upgrade but having a problem with ambien lighting on a 2011 platinum. I have the option on screen and color move on screen but not the lights
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You have a Limited as in your profile. That Platinum trim didn't come out until 2016.;)
Just to clarify, the ambient lights come on but you are not able to change their colour? If that is correct, is the lighting light blue? That is the default colour.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You have a Limited as in your profile. That Platinum trim didn't come out until 2016.;)
Just to clarify, the ambient lights come on but you are not able to change their colour? If that is correct, is the lighting light blue? That is the default colour.

Peter
Thanks for the add.

yes you are correct limited. Yes iT is on. before removing mft it was on light blue like the rest of the dash. After i upgrade stay the same color but doesnt respond to any changes on screen

It appears that there is some sort of disconnect between the software and the actual lights. I can't recall if there is an option in the control to turn them OFF altogether. If there is have you tried to see if the turn OFF or if they respond to the brightness control. My guess is that they won't.

Peter

It appears that there is some sort of disconnect between the software and the actual lights. I can't recall if there is an option in the control to turn them OFF altogether. If there is have you tried to see if the turn OFF or if they respond to the brightness control. My guess is that they won't.

Peter
I tried but it will not respond to anything

That confirms that there is no communication between the two systems. Did you use FORScan during the switch? I believe some programming of the APIM is required according to what I've read in other threads. Have you checked it using FORScan?

Peter

Hello,

I am trying to collect all the parts needed for this upgrade. I am having trouble getting the exact number I need for the screen itself. Can someone help me out with that?

I have a Sync MFT

201A Package
202A Package

Thank You, Sir
Finally had time to work on the Sport-
Steeda rear control arms last week and Sync 2 to Sync 3 upgrade today. Welcome back, Apple Car Play!

in the garage- rear sway bar.
New to this forum so I apologize if I am not in the right area. I have a question about upgrading to Sync3 from Sync2. Is there any reason to change the 8" monitor in my 2013 explorer when going from sync 2 to 3? Can I just purchase the updated APIM and attach to the existing monitor? Thank you in advance, I am very new to the explorer modification game and love the learnings.

New to this forum so I apologize if I am not in the right area. I have a question about upgrading to Sync3 from Sync2. Is there any reason to change the 8" monitor in my 2013 explorer when going from sync 2 to 3? Can I just purchase the updated APIM and attach to the existing monitor? Thank you in advance, I am very new to the explorer modification game and love the learnings.
They are 2 different types of screens. Capacitive vs resistive. They are not compatible, you must change both apim and screen.

Not only that, you will have to change usb hub and get a gps antenna with fakra fitting/connectors. Make sure the screen is the recessed back type. Apim has to be programmed. If you have a windows based laptop, download ForScan app and an elm27 adapter with ms/hs switch. Pay the 10.00 extended license fee. You will use this for programming a bunch of things...keys, fobs, apim etc. Become an elite member here(well worth it) and use “search” before asking questions. Oh....Welcome to the Forum.

Another successful sync 2 to sync 3 upgrade today on my 2011 XLT. USPS is being really slow with the USB hub, so I installed without it and will add it later. Sourced the screen and APIM from LKQ for $248 with 1 yr. warranty. Came out of a 2017 Exp. Has ver 2.2 installed. Once I get the hub, I’ll upgrade to 3.0. Paid Dan at sync3programming to send me the as-built. Well worth it. Everything works perfectly.

Dan did my programming also, money well spent.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...However, my biggest complaint was their lack of either an Explorer-specific installation video on their site...

Ask and Ye Shall receive, it's fairly recently posted so probably didn't exist when you were searching.

Back