• Register Today It's free!

Upper Control Arm Problem

Wallaby

Reaction score
City, State
Owensboro, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
I am new to this forum, so please bear with me. The upper control arm on my 2001 Exp. Sport (2x4) has developed a "creaking" noise when I gently rock the vehicle back and forth. The noise is located in (or coming from) the upper ball joint. Some people tell me that it is not your ball joint, but rather the tierods - not so. I have been told that the whole upper control arm needs to be replaced, since the ball joint is now integrated into the arm. Boy, I wish these components still had grease zurks. Is there any way to grease that "little sucker" (i.e. ball joint), without having to replace the whole upper control arm. Can I "install" a grease zurk in the control arm (above the ball joint)? Can I get grease into the ball joint via the "dust boot" around the joint? I would like any ideas, that are reasonable, that would save me the time and expense in replacing the upper control arm just to eliminate the "creaking" (and VERY annoying) noise --- and please don't just tell me to "live with it"!!!

Thanks,
going Ballistic :fire: , Wallaby

Sorry, but there is no other option. You gotta replace it. Go with Moog brand greasable ones. On a positive note, the passenger side is 2-piece so you only have to buy half an arm. And yes... this gets the "worst design ever" award.

you 100% sure it's your ball joint? I know some people on here have replaced sway bar endlinks and main bushings and their squeaking has gone away.

I'm replacing mine as soon as the parts come in. I too have creaking, I hope it's just the endlinks that are doing it.

Back