Using TMS on dry pavement?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Dear Ford, just a quick question. Is it okay to drive on sand, mud, snow mode on dry pavement? Would there be drivetrain windup? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dear Ford, just a quick question. Is it okay to drive on sand, mud, snow mode on dry pavement? Would there be drivetrain windup? Thanks!

I'm sure using these on dry pavement would be just like driving a true 4x4 on dry pavement and cause stress on parts and cause possible breakage.

Agreed!

Why do you want to?

I was just wondering because after I went on some muddy terrain while camping, I forgot to switch the mode off so I am hoping I didn't cause any drivetrain damage when I drove it 30 miles on the highway and back home.

If it would be a problem - wouldn't the Owner's Manual strongly advise against it? Moreover - if it could damage the vehicle - wouldn't the Owner's Manual contain multiple large font warnings NOT to do it under the penalty of voiding your warranty?

I don't know - I don't own this vehicle (yet) - so you tell me if the warnings are there. But I doubt Ford would release a product that could be easily damaged by pressing a wrong button and not put warnings about it everywhere.

I was just wondering because after I went on some muddy terrain while camping, I forgot to switch the mode off so I am hoping I didn't cause any drivetrain damage when I drove it 30 miles on the highway and back home.

I can't believe you made it all that way and didn't notice the higher rev's from the engine. When I was on snow messing around with different settings to see how she reacted, when I switched to Mud or Sand, it took the rev's and shot them WAY up.

"Ford Explorer No damage. You can drive in any mode you like, the electronics take care of the rest. Craig"

I did notice somewhat an improvement in acceleration for a bit. I'm thinking maybe I could utilize the TMS and put it on different modes and see how it operates and it might act as sort of a sports setting I guess.

I drove in this mode all day today, much better EPAS "on center" feel, no torque steer.

Noticed the lower end acceleration was a bit less.

I kinda like this mode better while cornering.

Whoa, I totally checked this today. Whenever I accelerated a bit hard, only the rear engages and then the front kicks in. This wasn't the case at the beginning. I would accelerate hard and I wouldn't have the rears kick in. This past month, I noticed a difference in acceleration but didn't notice it was that the rears started to kick in.

Back