• Register Today It's free!

V6 or V8 model?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
I may be shopping around in the future for a 2002 - 2005 year Explorer. I think it's a HUGE improvement over the 1995 - 2001 model. Are there any specific years I should watch out for? I was told to get a V8 vs. a V6 because it provides much more power at a minimal mpg loss, and also comes with a stronger transmission and overall much more reliable.

Do you all find this to be true based on your experience?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There isnt much of a difference in the v8 and v6, tbh unless your going to be doing a lot of towing I would just go with the v6. I would also probably avoid the 02's unless you get a warranty. How far way from toms river are you? I know of a dealer that has a few explorers on the lot for sale and at a good price, if you are interested throw me a pm.

I may be shopping around in the future for a 2002 - 2005 year Explorer. I think it's a HUGE improvement over the 1995 - 2001 model. Are there any specific years I should watch out for? I was told to get a V8 vs. a V6 because it provides much more power at a minimal mpg loss, and also comes with a stronger transmission and overall much more reliable.

Do you all find this to be true based on your experience?

Try to get an 04 or new to avoid the early problems.
I have the V8, I get 15-16 city mpg. and I drive it like its a V8.

You might get better mpg in a v6 but think of it this way.
When you fill up with gas, if someone said to you "for $10 more, I'll give you the power of a V8" you'd do it.

Well, I'm not so much concerned about power. I have my modified '03 Mustang GT for that :D I just want something that's worry-free where I won't be dumping money into like my '97 model. My '97 has been great, but the repair list is getting longer at 159K miles.

Are the V6 model reliable? And the 2004 + is better for me to look at?

Of the four Explorers I've had the first two were V6 and last two were V8s. IIRC, the second V6 was of the "High Output" variety. While it had decent power it always seemed to be working much harder than it's V8 counterpart.

Regarding MPG; my experience is that the difference is negligible.

I agree with the advise to go with a later model year in the '02-'05 offerings. I'd probably entertain '06 and newer as well.

Well, I'm not so much concerned about power. I have my modified '03 Mustang GT for that :D I just want something that's worry-free where I won't be dumping money into like my '97 model. My '97 has been great, but the repair list is getting longer at 159K miles.

Are the V6 model reliable? And the 2004 + is better for me to look at?

Since you have another "V8 toy" I dont see any reason to stay away from a v6. I dont think they have any more or less problems than a v8

my vote is an 05 V6. In 11 months of owning mine. Ive only had a battery, plugs, front struts and the blend door done on mine. Great truck! I do recommend getting an extended warranty just in case. Great peace of mind.

i recommend the first gen's ... i think they're the most reliable.. well thats just me :b not what you're in the market for anyhow

Well, I'm not so much concerned about power. I have my modified '03 Mustang GT for that :D I just want something Are the V6 model reliable? And the 2004 + is better for me to look at?

Here are some thoughts,
Is that Mustang a 4.6? If so there are similar parts in a V8. they may run the same plugs, oil and filter as an example,

Otherwise you will noitce a huge difference in power from the GT to a V6, with a v8 yea there is a bit of difference but the V8 is downright zippy in traffic. The V8 would be closer to that stang.

Hard to say on which is more reliable, it seems about the same, both have minor issues in their own way.

MPG from what i heard is about the about the same or -1mpg. My wifes lead foot averages about 14mpg in heavy city traffic, and about 19-20mpg highway, towing 1k lbs boat and a roof cargo bin 17mpg.

Yes, my other car is a 4.6L V8. If the V6 Explorers aren't too much hassle, then I'd stick with something that's more fuel efficient. I just heard in the past that the V8 Explorers were more reliable than the V6 models.

Can I assume that an '02 - '05 V6 Explorer has more power than a '97 V6 Explorer? How does the gas mileage compare?

is your 97 an OHV or SOHC?

if you have an OHV then there will be a huge difference in power, if you have a SOHC not so much.....

my '03 V6 only gets 16-17 MPG in city driving. 20-21 hwy.

if i bought another one i'd probably go for the V8

not that i've had problems with this one

but similiar mpg and plus i could tow stuff.

just my 2 bits

wife's '04 is an AWD 4.6, V8... 17-18mpg in town & on long highway runs 19-21mpg.

We drove both, as the dealer (in 2004) had 2 identical Premier mountaineers, 1-v6 & 1-V8. my WIFE chose the V8.

Towing there is NO contest. My ex-sis inlaw has an identical '04 & I ahd to tow with it... no thanks...

I have not driven a V8 Explorer, but my current 2005 4.0L V6 Explorer has never left me wanting more power. I towed a 12' covered trailer full of furniture no problem, but I do live in Flatland (aka the midwest). Loaded on family trips, acceleration from a stop and onto highways is more than adequate.

Unless you have a specific need for more power, or just want the V8 ego boost, I would look for a V6. Actually, I was plesantly surpirsed during the test drive at the V6's pep - more than I had anticipated. It's a nice size V6 (4.0L).

My wife (primary driver) gets about 15mpg in town, and gets 22-23mpg on the highway.

I'm also curious to know which engine is quieter - the V6 or the V8? Reliability is the key thing I'm going after.

I have the V6 because I didnt have a choice (Sport never had the V8)
otherwise there is no question , V8 .
MPG difference is almost nil in real world driving.

I'm also curious to know which engine is quieter - the V6 or the V8? Reliability is the key thing I'm going after.

As aluded to in my comment above, the V6s I've had seemed to work harder for the same result. This translates to more interior noise. Either way, both could use more sound deadening.

On a side note: A couple years ago a neighbor stopped by to say hello and I asked how he liked his new Escape. He was not a happy camper. He mentioned that he traded in his V8 Exp for a smaller SUV to realize, amongst other things, better MPGs. Apparently his experience was that the Escape got the same MPGs as his Exp.

On another side note: I must mention that my '99 5.0/V8 had a hair-trigger gas pedal. When the throttle was just touched the truck would launch very quickly. IMO it was not very refined and bordered on unsafe.

....... just thinking out loud ...

you should also be aware that in the 04+ there is DBW - drive by wire
there is no mechanical linkage between the gas pedal and the throttle body - its all electronic. I would prefer a linkage.. I find a delay in the DBW sometimes on my 04.

It will take you a few "stop and go's" to get used to it. I let my mother and father-in-law take it to the grocery store... when they came back, my father-in-law said he felt like a milkshake with my mother-in-law driving. He got it really quick and liked driving the V8... but my mother in law too a bit longer

if trying to get out of the way of something, you push the pedal and push harder and harder cause you dont move like you expect for that split second and then Wham! that 4.6 kicks in and sinks you back in your seat real quick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 02 and I think 03 V8 had an insulated engine cover, very similar to what the lincolns have. I believe this quiets the injectors and the valve train. Not sure how it compairs to the V6.

Back