• Register Today It's free!

V8 and chop top questions

zjrog

Reaction score
City, State
Tooele,Ut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1990 Ranger
Looking at a 84 B2. PO started a V8 swap and gave up. I recently finished a swap of Explorer 4.0 into a 90 Ranger. Everything. Wiring, dash, everything.

I'm curious about MPG for an 86 302 in the B2. I have the 2.3 and 5 speed from the Ranger I have considered swapping in. Just wondering what some of you V8 swap guys are experiencing for daily driving and MPG.

For you B2 chop guys, I'm thinking about using the hatch as a removable rear cab wall. I'm not worried about cabin space, as much as the ability to have an open air experience. I have a car, Grand Cherokee and f150 Supercrew for bad weather or cabin space... Will chopping the back of the cab allow more flex in the chassis?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm curious about MPG for an 86 302 in the B2. I have the 2.3 and 5 speed from the Ranger I have considered swapping in. Just wondering what some of you V8 swap guys are experiencing for daily driving and MPG.

You really don't want to know. With a C4 trany and back when I had a 3.73 with 33s around 10mpg. Now with 5.13s and 35s, who knows. But will go to 37s or 39.5 later. I'm sure fuel injection would help, but would rather have a sister in the ***** house then FI with it's petty problems and such. With the Holley off road carb never a problem in over five years and that's including standing this thing up on the rear trailer hitch. I run plenty of filters which keeps the jets clean.
But at this point in the build it really don't matter about the mpg. Just fpgptm (fun per gallon per trail mile):D

Will chopping the back of the cab allow more flex in the chassis?

Even though mine is chopped, I can't really answerer that question cause mine was never driven with out a complete roll cage from front to rear which is all tied into the frame. Then the seats are even connected to the cage. So in reality it's like one of those all tubed crawlers but with more sheet metal. In fact I can cut off all the sheet metal including floor boards and still wheel this rig. The sheet metal body is sandwiched between cage supports and where the over head cage exits the cab, it is a tight fit going through the cab. So there is no soft body mounts to frame either.
I have read seen pics of chopped top B2s bodies sagging after doing a chop.
Does it flex? With front 4 parallel 4 link and rear double tri 4 link,damn right it does, with even more flex comes 2013.

I've enjoyed your build. At some level, I shouldn't give a rip about MPGs. The 2.3 from the 90 Ranger has about 10 less HP than the 84 2.8 had. The advantage is the 5 speed I imagine. I'm looking at a 84 B2 that is already stripped of engine and trans. He has a86 F150 302 that needs a rebuild, but no transmission for it. Sure, rebuilding the V8 would be a kick, but I already have everything I need sitting in my shed and garage. I was able to get 28 MPG from that in the Ranger, with 4.10s and 31s, and a 6" lift. If I could 20 or so from the same setup in a B2, that would be cool.

Chopping, I would finish the cut bedsides to support and reinforce. And depending how I drive it, depends on whether a cage becomes an issue. Currently, just having a fun cruise night machine is the goal.

Thanks!

20 mpg would be great for what your planning. Sounds like a wild cruising rig for sure.
Should turn some heads.

I just finished capping the bedsides from chopping my top, check out my thread for details. I used 1.5" angle iron to make them flat, and just welded the seams on the uprights on the cab. waiting to do a cage before I finish the top of the cab. the 4.0 swap I did nets me around 16-18 mpg, I don't run mine on the road much anymore though.

Thanks folks... Swapping the 4.0 brought my son from 15 MPG in the Explorer to 18 in the Ranger. Not bad, but could be better. Then again, its a truck. 2.3 in the Bronco might be fun. I don't need a ticket magnet (had plenty of those!!!) anymore. 20 would be nice though.

I'm looking to cap the bedrails with Ranger bed sides so I can also have a finished tailgate.

*IF* I even get the thing. I have been thinking about a Neon or Imprezza for roadracing, well trackdays, racing is too expensive... This B2 just cropped up here in town. I have too many projects on hand already though! Ah hell, whats one more?

X2, reminds me to get started on my faux model 416 utility trailer on 35s.

Back