V8 AWD to V8 Control Trac w/ Low Range | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 AWD to V8 Control Trac w/ Low Range

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would fill everyone in.
I just completed the finishing touches on converting my 98 Explorer V8 AWD (4404) to Control-Trac 4WD (4405).
I'm doing a write up as I type of what I had to go through to get this done. This conversion is not as difficult as one would think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tell us when you get that write up done, and how much of a difference it makes, thanks man

My truck seems to be a little more snappy then it was with the AWD. And the low range is Great!

how man how :):)

please share

The truck seems snappier because its transfering all (97%) of its power to the rear axle which is more efficient then transfering to both axles.

Hey Darren,
How's my old Transfercase holding out. Have you gone wheelin' yet?
I'm really glad to see that you got it to work! :bounce:

Hey Ray,

So far so good!
I've been wheel'n with it a half dozen times or so with no problems. Well, one problem, I could use a locker of some kind.
I went on a road trip with it back to Minnesota for Christmas with no problems as well.

Thanks for asking!

When is the writeup going to happen? I think that this would be something that many many v8 owners would like to know about. I hope you took lots of pictures.

Yes, its pretty thorough and has lots of pictures.
I keep e-mailing Rick but the e-mail keeps getting kicked back to me saying his computer was not found. I think I'll try Matt Adams.

so is there a write up yet?

Yeah! I have a 4405 waiting for me to do something with! :D

You should go with the manual shift transfer case if your going to do the swap. Thats what I would do, then you could have many different options. Like an Atlas II.

Need a place for pictures or writeup

I'm working on collecting information and putting it on the web, you can e-mail it to me.

What's the word - is the write-up done? How can we get a copy? I would love to do this swap on my 98 Limited.

Daren, I also have a AWD Mountaineer and I am very interested in getting rid of the AWD. (who wouldn't). Can you tell me what a "Control-Trac 4WD (4405)" is out of and can i ge 2WD from it. Thanks in advance for any help with this
Phil Barry
philbarry@tampabay.rr.com

Back