v8 exhaust ONLY....Cant get a straight answer!! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v8 exhaust ONLY....Cant get a straight answer!!

if anyone wants some extra info check out this link, i learned alot from this thread on how my exhaust will be for the future. Im in the market for jba headers bbk throttle body, then im either going to chop my magnaflow catback system or get dual 2.5 coming out before the rear tires for optimal gains. please read that thread before anyone knocks the setup i will be going with lol...there is alot of info from a couple smart forum users.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278787&highlight=CDW6212R

they talk alot about exhaust velocity and back pressure and pcm tuning and all of that good stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if anyone wants some extra info check out this link, i learned alot from this thread on how my exhaust will be for the future. Im in the market for jba headers bbk throttle body, then im either going to chop my magnaflow catback system or get dual 2.5 coming out before the rear tires for optimal gains. please read that thread before anyone knocks the setup i will be going with lol...there is alot of info from a couple smart forum users.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278787&highlight=CDW6212R

they talk alot about exhaust velocity and back pressure and pcm tuning and all of that good stuff.

You will not see appreciable gains from swapping the throttle body. For that matter, going from the Magnaflow exhaust (assuming you mean the entire cat-back and not just the muffler) to a dual exhaust will not see much improvement either without a lot more power than you currently have.
Leave the cat-back alone, go for the headers if you want to spend that amount of money, and get a tune.

in that thread that i just posted it stated and makes sense that a v8 will sound better with duals no matter and going from the catback to a short dual exhaust would totally benefit me. the reason because after the muffler the pipe twists and turns over rear axle then turns again out the side. anything after the headers is a restriction....so making it shorter with less turns and bends will increase my flow. and the only reason i was going with the throttle body is because down the line i will get intake manifold and big mass air MAF..correct me if im wrong ahhaha

in that thread that i just posted it stated and makes sense that a v8 will sound better with duals no matter and going from the catback to a short dual exhaust would totally benefit me. the reason because after the muffler the pipe twists and turns over rear axle then turns again out the side. anything after the headers is a restriction....so making it shorter with less turns and bends will increase my flow. and the only reason i was going with the throttle body is because down the line i will get intake manifold and big mass air MAF..correct me if im wrong ahhaha

If you are going for sound, all bets are off and you should certainly try something new...assuming you are not satisfied with the Magnaflow cat-back sound. That thread is full of a lot of huff-and-puff with guys drilling down into engineering specifics. The reality is that, for everyday driving, you can go too big on the exhaust. There is also the reality of diminishing returns; if the 2.5" exhaust gets you 10HP over stock, the 3" gets you 12HP over stock, and the 4" gets you 13HP over stock, but all of the low to mid range power is lower, have you really made an improvement for the vehicle you drive around town? For tearing down the ¼ mile, or wringing out F1 cars, you certainly want as little exhaust as possible because the engine lives at it's peak RPM. Most folks want a car that performs best for 90% of what they do, and that requires the proper compromises.

well this is my only car so at this point it's just basic mods, but i figured with the stuff i was wanting to do I would have to change up the exhaust slightly to get best possible performance. I like the sound of magnaflow under load casue it sounds meatier. i believe headers will make it sound a little more like that. This is the same engine as the mustang and i want that low idle grumble that your supposed to hear from a v8 mustang. I know flowmaster would of sounded more like that but from this thread i created a while ago and research I found this would be the best for performance casue its a opened muffler instead of baffled. What can i do or should i do to get that nice meaty grumble at idle like the v8 mustangs have?

I will hopefuly be doing under drive pulleys when it gets warm, headers, then a tune to bring it all together.

What can i do or should i do to get that nice meaty grumble at idle like the v8 mustangs have?

Buy a Mustang. Really, there is not a ton of difference I hear between the 2V 4.6L Explorer and the 2V 4.6L Mustang. If you are going after the older 5.0L sound, the closest you might get is with Flowmasters...but that is not best for performance.
Between the Magnaflow cat-back and an intake, you should have a very nice rumble.

im referring to the 4.6L mustang i believe 1995-2001...i have K&N and the magnaflow cat back and the rumble is only nice when i first start when its cold and it idles a little higher or when romping through the gears, once she warms up its not to noticable especially with the windows up. Will headers change the sound on idle and acceleration? I would assume so but my assumptions are usually wrong. I believe a member on hear with same X stated he noticed the most gains from the jba headers.

What are the benefits of a cat-back system over just getting a new muffler?

What are the benefits of a cat-back system over just getting a new muffler?

Removing a lot of the exhaust restriction as opposed to only a small portion of it at the muffler.

So what does it consist of doing? I'm having a shop redo all of my piping and install the muffler I'm about to buy. Will it cost me any extra? If so what do I need to buy?

So what does it consist of doing? I'm having a shop redo all of my piping and install the muffler I'm about to buy. Will it cost me any extra? If so what do I need to buy?

It is probably easier just to buy a bolt-in catback, plus saving you some money. I know the Maganflow can easily be had for <$400, it is easy to install, and it is all stainless with mandrel bends that you probably will not get with a shop doing it on the spot.

Anyone have a part number? Magnaflow's website only lists one for my Ex.....

Anyone have a part number? Magnaflow's website only lists one for my Ex.....

your not going to want to order it from magnaflow it will be more expensive i think i paid 363 for mine and installed it in my driveway by myself in 45 min

The only place I can find it has it listed for 494.00. Any ideas?

your not going to want to order it from magnaflow it will be more expensive i think i paid 363 for mine and installed it in my driveway by myself in 45 min

Hey fedy, did you cut the over axle pipe like the instructions said, or can you wiggle it out without doing so?

it gets cut exactly where the instructions indicate. makes removing it a peice of cake. The only problem i ran into was the two bolts on the flange to connect the exhaust where rusted and mine had to be cut out and replaced. other than that easiest install ever it was easier to do then the K&N CAI

it gets cut exactly where the instructions indicate. makes removing it a peice of cake. The only problem i ran into was the two bolts on the flange to connect the exhaust where rusted and mine had to be cut out and replaced. other than that easiest install ever it was easier to do then the K&N CAI

Alright good, glad to hear its simple. Also will a dremel do the trick to cut the pipe off or will I need something else?

i would say yes if you have a couple hours to spend... i know with my dremmel the biggest size cutter it comes with is about the size of a quarter. You want the cutting of the pipe to be quick and easy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Magnaflow only lists part number 15718 for my 03 Ex, and I can find them all day long for 363.00.

Like here: http://www.truckpartshub.com/product/magnaflow-15718-performance-exhaust-kit

I can only find ONE listing for part number 18015, and that's almost $500.

Like Here: http://www.lmperformance.com/18015/52.html

They look like the same thing. Are they? If so how simple is it to install? Is it just a cut what you have and bolt on the new kind of thing? Or do I have to weld it on? And are there any write-ups on how to do it anywhere?

Thanks.

Back