v8 exhaust ONLY....Cant get a straight answer!! | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

v8 exhaust ONLY....Cant get a straight answer!!

with the K&N, and a Magnaflow 2.5'' exhaust, combined you should net almost or right on a 20 HP gain...

At the crank. Wheel horsepower will be something like an extra 10-15 depending on what exactly is done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fedy, hurry up on that exhaust man, your gonna love it!

Took the day off last Friday and took my X into the local Exhaust/Tire place. I had already had the X up on the lifts there a few weeks back and discussed what I wanted done. Specifically - cut 3rd cat off and run 2.5" with a resonator and a 'turboflow' muffler. The muffler is the same shape as a Flowmaster but I checked with the guy and he said it wasnt baffled but a 'straight through' type.

When I went back to pick it up, they hadnt put on the resonator and said to bring it back in if the interior drone was too loud. When he started it up, I was like a kid at Christmas! That V8 rumble! Beautiful. Drove it round a bit and noticed gas mileage on the message centre was all over the place. Took it home and unhooked the negative battery cable, let it sit a few minutes and then hooked it back up and let it idle for 10 minutes. Took it for a drive and I must say BEST MOD YET!. Getting slightly better mileage, interior drone is acceptable, and the best thing is, acceleration now seems a lot smoother than before! Will try get a vid up sometime this week.

cleaned the MAF surprisingly didn't see any oil but after I cleaned with with crc maf cleaner noticed ran little better. im set on ordering the magnaflow kit from online but need to wait 1 more week for some more cashflow..im counting down the days. On Saturday i cleaned the maf the throttle body

no more messing around just ordered my exhaust today should be here by next week!!!!

Last edited:

pretty excited the my magnaflow exhaust kit is coming today and i will be putting it in at 6:00 tonight... Anyone have this exact magnaflow kit for 2002-2005 that has any tips for me. instructions seem straight forward and pretty easy says it should take about an hour to install. my main thing is I looked at the two spring loaded screws where the exhaust is going to connect to and it looks pretty rusted. any advice on how to go about this easily without breaking them and having to get new screws.

pretty excited the my magnaflow exhaust kit is coming today and i will be putting it in at 6:00 tonight... Anyone have this exact magnaflow kit for 2002-2005 that has any tips for me. instructions seem straight forward and pretty easy says it should take about an hour to install. my main thing is I looked at the two spring loaded screws where the exhaust is going to connect to and it looks pretty rusted. any advice on how to go about this easily without breaking them and having to get new screws.

mate get as much wd40 as u can on them as soon as u can to let them soak.

mate get as much wd40 as u can on them as soon as u can to let them soak.

A penetrating oil is a much better idea. Kroil if you can find it, PB Blaster otherwise.

great thanks i think i have all three of those..they look really rusted if they break is there a quick easy replacement i can use or get from somewhere? I will be working on this late at night and would hate to not have the part handy if i break it and have to run with no exhaust for a day.

great thanks i think i have all three of those..they look really rusted if they break is there a quick easy replacement i can use or get from somewhere? I will be working on this late at night and would hate to not have the part handy if i break it and have to run with no exhaust for a day.

If you need to be driving tomorrow...you really should wait for the weekend just to be safe.

For the bolts, hit them with Kroil and let them sit for a day. Then, do it again before starting to work on them. See if you can work the bolts loose, not just cranking CCW, but also tightening them a little to so you can rock it back and forth. If that is not working, add heat from a propane torch to the mix.

You might be able to find replacement parts in the Dorman section of the parts store, but probably not quite as nice as the original bolts with the tab on them.

I have a Gibson cat back on my 02 and those bolts were rustyyyyy i had to fight to get them off i just cut them, and bought a set from ford for like $10 bucks. WORD OF ADVICE FOR ALL CAT-BACKS MAKE SURE THE PIECES ARE SNUGLY IN OR IT WON'T FIT PERFECTLY. Hope this helps!

So im probably the happiest person as of yesterday once i got my exhaust finished. It defiantly didn't take 45 minutes as indicated on the instructions. i started at 6 and finished at 9:30. It would of only taken 45 minutes but the two bolts for the flange where shot. I got one out fine but the other got stripped and stuck, i had to use a sawzall and a hand blade to cut out the bolt it took forever such a hard angle. I had to go to pep boys and jimmy rig some new bolts and nuts to fit. After that was said and done took about 15 minutes to hang the exhaust and check for leaks. I will post a before and after video hopefully tonight. What an amazing sound!!!

strong work !

sounds mean as hell i bet :thumbsup:

notice that your X pulls harder, longer in the rev range ? :D

Before:
IMG_1452.jpg

After:
IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

IMG_1456.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krnxCIFgLJE&feature=mfu_channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqF5FiPLqkQ

i had a muffler shop just swap out the stock muffler with a flo 40 (cheap) and i get compliments all the time on the exhaust sound. and yes i did notice more power as i could tell it was flowing way better. no problems on o2 sensors either as i havent touched the cats

what size I/O muffler did you get ?

you will feel even better gains from a 2.5'' exhaust

Ok. So I've watched the videos, and read the comments. I'm going to pick up a Magnaflow muffler for my V8 and I have a local shop going to up me to 3" piping and install it for 150.00$. I'm trying to decide exactly which one to buy, it's the same install price for me regardless. Should I spend the money on a cat-back kit or just the muffler? My K&N CAI will be installed at the same time. What is the benefit of the cat-back kit and will the extra .75" make that much of a difference?

The only thing with going that large on the exhaust pipe is that you will probably find a loss in low end torque. Im sure it will sound pretty good but thats quite a loss in back pressure.

Ok, how about running 2.5" up to the muffler and 3" after? Would just the muffler be enough?

Is the back pressure an issue with the V8's or just the V6?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the back pressure an issue with the V8's or just the V6?
Back pressure is always an issue...and so is velocity. Back pressure is always a bad thing; the trick is minimizing the back pressure while still retaining sufficient exhaust gas velocity.

A 2½" mandrel bend cat-back system is probably best for most owners here. Bigger, like 3", would really only be beneficial for highly-modified or racing-specific setups.

Back