V8 to V6

Workaholic15

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer Limited 4x4
Hello everyone,

How difficult would it be to swap a 4.6 V8 to the 4.0 v6?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not worth it. the days of swapping engine sizes ended with the days of the computer. If you had a complete donor, you could swap over the computer, engine, transmission, and instrument cluster if you were lucky.

Why would you need the cluster? This is absolutely do-able, the real question would be why would you want to? The 4.0 SOHC is a piece of crap. Before you could install the 4.0 you’d have to put several hundred dollars into it replacing all the timing garbage.

I have come across a donor 02 that got hit but the guts are still good. Mine is the V8 Romeo, with an oil pump that went out on the interstate state. Just looking for some options due to the fact I’m having a hard time finding parts for the Romeo.
Any ideas?

This certainly can be done, but I’d look into the cam chain tensioner issues, if you aren’t familiar. You’ll have to factor replacing that before dropping the 4.0 in.

You could probably get a shortblock for the price of buying the donor, the cam chain parts, the tool, and the headache of making the wiring work.

What are you having trouble finding for your 4.6?

Back