4.6 Engine swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 Engine swap

Keep us updated... Personally I think you should go a bit beefier then an iron block 2v 4.6L; shoot for a DOHC 4.6L or even a 3v 4.6L.

Good luck regardless.

3v would bring in a whole bunch of electronic nightmares. 3v engines use a variable cam timing system and there is no mechanical means of bypassing this yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was thinking of doing a swap even tho i do have a 4.6. my buddy bought a wrecked lightning to swap into his f150 but then totalled his f150. so now im lookin at it closely he will separate with it for 3grand i wanna jumper on it but i was worried about hood clearance. i should be fine now that i have a bl on now right. anyone now

The lightning is the tallest motor in the mod family, Mustang guy's can't even fit them under a 4" cowl hood. The problem is the Lightning plenum runs the throttle body over the top of the blower, then out the front.

lightning-motor-2.gif

2000-ford-mustang-1.gif

The lightning is the tallest motor in the mod family, Mustang guy's can't even fit them under a 4" cowl hood. The problem is the Lightning plenum runs the throttle body over the top of the blower, then out the front.

lightning-motor-2.gif

2000-ford-mustang-1.gif

The solution for that is to use an 03-04 Cobra blower. The supercharger bases should have the same bolt pattern, and using the Cobra blower will allow it to feed (inlet) from the passenger side. This should clear the Explorer hood with the lower intake height of the Cobra S/C as well. I need to see both in person to be sure.

I would like to use a 5.4 in this swap, but I have a 4.6 from a 02 Mustang GT on the way. All it needs is a quick rebuild with rings, bearings, etc and it will be ready to go. Torque Tech makes a 4.6 SOHC Eaton M112 Supercharger Kit for 99-04 Mustangs, and I think that will work with the Explorer after looking one over pretty good at the salvage yard today.

It seems that the transfer case and drive shafts are the same, but the trans for the V6 trucks are 5R55S model numbers and the V8's are 5R55W. If the V8 trans just has a wider ration like the W usually stands for, then this will be even easier than I thought. If not, this yard I visited today can get me a V8 trans for $700-800 maybe cheaper since I buy from them often.

The solution for that is to use an 03-04 Cobra blower. The supercharger bases should have the same bolt pattern, and using the Cobra blower will allow it to feed (inlet) from the passenger side. This should clear the Explorer hood with the lower intake height of the Cobra S/C as well. I need to see both in person to be sure.

I've thought of that but I have never been able to get an answer from anybody on weather the cobra eaton and the lightning eaton have the same pattern. I'd hate to spend $3000 on a lightning engine and $700 on a used cobra blower just to find out they don't work together.

i never really took a look at a lightning setup. i didnt realize how tall the sc/intake mani was. ok so im gonna say a no go cuz lik what you guys said i dont wanna waste that much and end up stuck. id like to know how high it would sit. i wanted to get a cowl hood made. maybe after that it would fit. if i did say a 4.5 inch cowl hood i would have about 10 inches before the engine would hit the hood. body lift plus cowl hood

I've thought of that but I have never been able to get an answer from anybody on weather the cobra eaton and the lightning eaton have the same pattern. I'd hate to spend $3000 on a lightning engine and $700 on a used cobra blower just to find out they don't work together.

I can find out for you. There is a guy on my local Mustang forum who ports Eaton blowers. Off to google transmission research.....

Okay after searching google, I was lead back to this site where a guy swapped a 5R55S into his 2nd gen 01 sport. His thread lead me to research a local trans supplier's website, which in turn lead me to the conclusion all I need is a trans case. The 5R55S and 5R55W are the same internally with the exception that the 5R55W has a wide ratio gear set. Externally, there are two cases, one for the V6 and one for the V8. So all I need to purchase is a case ($300) a rebuild kit ($200) and a deep trans pan and dipstick kit ($200-300.) The question is, should I buy the V8 trans from the yard and bolt it in or rebuild mine with the new case and new clutches etc?

I can find out for you. There is a guy on my local Mustang forum who ports Eaton blowers. Off to google transmission research.....

I'd appreciate that. Even if the plenum's swapped I could make it work.

It looks like the Cobra S/C will not fit on the Lightning lower. You might be able to find an aftermarket S/C like something from Torque Tech (www.torktech.com) they have adapters for using their setup on 5.4's.

I'm still doing research on a few things. Mainly, motor mounts and using electric fans. I'm also considering an external trans cooler because I plan to tow my 89 FHP Mustang. I'm also looking into changing the gears out from 3.55's to 4.10's while the engine and trans is out.

Thanks, that answers that.

On the note above about the 3 valve, MMR now makes an adapter to un 3v cams/heads without VVT.

I think the electronics of the 3v will be hard to over come or match up to the 2v. I'm sure they used sensors on the 3v that won't match up to the 2v harness. Allthough, Ford Racing is now selling a mod motor stand-alone PCM for street rods and older cars. I guess if I had time I could mate the harness to my truck and make it work, but I like the idea of a simple bolt on swap.

The only thing that was holding up people from the swap was the VVT sensors, the adapter from MMR deletes that, you just have to use a 2V harness. That way you can take advantage of the increased flow of the 3v heads. However, you cannot take advantage of the adaptable cam timing curves of the 3V. I'm not sure how mutch advantage that would be overall but it opens up another engine choice for rat rodders.

Looks like this might be coming to sooner than I thought. I was given a 99 2V from a Crown Vic that needs some minor work. I have a couple of friends with extra PI heads laying around and maybe even an intake. 2 local yards have the harness and PCM for under $200. The only issue I might have is the is VIN locked into the PCM. I need to call a dealer tomorrow and see what they would charge to reflash the PCM with the correct VIN.

I also might be doing the gear swap soon. My rear wheel speed sensor is bad causing the ABS light to come on and while looking for the sensor, I noticed the seals are leaking around the half-shafts. The rear will need to come out and I might as well change the gears and add a trac-lok while I'm in there.

My shocks are bad and the driver's side rear shock is leaking oil so more money to the Explorer. While I have that out, I'll install a RB lift kit. :D

we just got our 02 v8 fully loaded for 3700 one owner clean as can be

is it illegal to have your hood cut like the mustang is? cuz if its not my hood is gonna look about the same. I just called my buddy about the lightning he told me wife is killing him about it sitting in the yard. the lightning is all mine I just need to hand over my 4.6 after it gets pulled out. as for the supercharger I think ill just pull it off and replace it with a sts turbo kit. or if its legal cut my hood.

is it illegal to have your hood cut like the mustang is? cuz if its not my hood is gonna look about the same. I just called my buddy about the lightning he told me wife is killing him about it sitting in the yard. the lightning is all mine I just need to hand over my 4.6 after it gets pulled out. as for the supercharger I think ill just pull it off and replace it with a sts turbo kit. or if its legal cut my hood.

Each state is different. In Kenutcky, you can run around with no hood if you want. You could always get a JC Whitney hood scoop to cover the hole.

GSX220, I've been looking for a V8 around here for a decent price but everyone still wants too much for them. I'm going to have a lot in labor in the swap, but it looks like less than $1000.

I have plans for a 4 and quarter inch hood scoop my factory hood is getting chopped up to make it. complete metal. after jagged edge customs from elizabethtown pa gets it done I will see what kind of clearance ill have

In a bunch of states as long as you have an air cleaner or equivalent, you can run with no hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back