• Register Today It's free!

4.6 Engine swap

02 XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Montreal
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I currently have the 4.0 V6 engine and I'm not happy with the explorer's performence and have come across a 4.6 V8 engine/tranny/transfer case/ECU and wiring.

Im wondering if anyone can tell me how hard the swap is, what else I might be needing?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think he has an 02+ four door. Should basically bolt in?

yeah should just bolt in - hehe i thought he had a 2nd gen - WOOPS! my bad

Ya i have a 3 gen 4 door. Do i need the drive shaft, exhaust, or rear end?

If it were me, I'd just have the exhaust fabbed up at a local muffler shop since your wanting more power.

well, I don't think it's been done before...you'll probably many headach's ahead if you just sell yours, and find a nice v8. most the time a swap just isn't worth it, especially in these very electronic models. If you were swappin a motor on an old first gen, that'd be one thing.

go for it, then do a whrite up on how so i can follow suit :D

Anyone done this yet. My 02 XLT will be paid for soon and needs moar pawr.

There are a couple write ups on various mustang forums where guys have swapped their 4.0 '05+ Mustangs for 4.6's and 5.4's. Chances are, you'll run into the same headaches they do as far as the electronics go. Maybe a few more since your dealing with 4x4 and less off the shelf stuff to work with.

A 5.4 Second Gen would be completely awsome!

Its just not worth it. You are much better off selling yours and buying one with a 4.6.

me personally...

id sell and look for a v8 instead of tearing apart a working vehicle, then not being able to put it back together and get it to run correctly again... you would be shooting yourself in the foot IMO.

If you look hard enough, you can find an 02 V8 for around 5k. So yea, probably not worth it.

I know for the 4th gen you can swap out the 4.0L with a 3v 4.6L OR a 3v 5.4L just buy getting the engine and ECU (there was a thread about it in the 4th gen section).

as far as the 3rd gen, just sells your and get a 4.6, unless you're feeling ballsy and want to attempt a 3v 4.6L upgrade.

x2 -- not worth it. If you have an itch to tinker and power, go build a true (as in cheap) rat rod -- you'll be more satisfied in the end for about the same amount of cash. If you are going to trade it for a 4.6L vehicle, go for maybe an 04 or newer so you get away from the axle problems of the early 3rd gens.

I can get a 2v 4.6 shortblock cheap, like $300 cheap. The way I figure it, I need the ECU, ECU harness, and the accessory brackets. I'm not selling a truck that is paid for, loosing money on the trade, and buying another truck for a bolt in swap. If the 4th gen's are bolt in simple swaps, I'd be willing to bet the 3rd gens are as well.

This same mentality is why it took 4 years for someone to figure out how to body lift one of these trucks. I guess I'll be the test dummy and pioneer for the 4.6 swap.

I can get a 2v 4.6 shortblock cheap, like $300 cheap. The way I figure it, I need the ECU, ECU harness, and the accessory brackets. I'm not selling a truck that is paid for, loosing money on the trade, and buying another truck for a bolt in swap. If the 4th gen's are bolt in simple swaps, I'd be willing to bet the 3rd gens are as well.

This same mentality is why it took 4 years for someone to figure out how to body lift one of these trucks. I guess I'll be the test dummy and pioneer for the 4.6 swap.

If your dead set on it, I'd definately do a 5.4 not a 4.6. The short blocks are not that much more, Any modular heads will mount to any modular block, the ***** of it is finding the right timing cover. There is no bracketry on a modular motor, all the accessories bolt directly to the block or heads.

Keep in mind, explorer 4.6's are aluminum blocks that weigh 60+ pounds less than their iron counterparts. You may need heavier springs up front to handle the extra weight if you use just any modular block you find. Its always easiest to have a complete parts truck available when doing a swap like this. I would strongly recomend getting one for this undertaking, especially with no reference to go on like a good forum thread.

If your dead set on it, I'd definately do a 5.4 not a 4.6. The short blocks are not that much more, Any modular heads will mount to any modular block, the ***** of it is finding the right timing cover. There is no bracketry on a modular motor, all the accessories bolt directly to the block or heads.

Keep in mind, explorer 4.6's are aluminum blocks that weigh 60+ pounds less than their iron counterparts. You may need heavier springs up front to handle the extra weight if you use just any modular block you find. Its always easiest to have a complete parts truck available when doing a swap like this. I would strongly recomend getting one for this undertaking, especially with no reference to go on like a good forum thread.

A 4.6 iron shortblock is an easy and cheap find around here. I've already found 2 PI heads from an 01 and 02 Mustang GT. It helps when I have friends who spray their cars and blow 2V 4.6's every few months. My only concern with the 5.4 other than intake choices is the deck and overall height. The truck intakes are very tall and might interfere with the hood. I know the 4.6 will fit with no issues. Now might also be the time to ditch the mechanical fan and go with an electric.

Another thought that crossed my mind is using Mark 8 heads since they are DOHC, but I might as well use the 4.6 DOHC from my Marauder when I build a new shortblock. The Marauder 4.6 DOHC's are very simular if not the same as the Aviator 4.6's and should again be a drop in event.

Some calls to local salvage yards will be placed tomorrow and I guess I'll start a new thread to post the progress. I need to see what exactly I need to get, and what will remain the same. I'm pretty sure the drivetrain from the transmission back will be okay since both engines use the 5R55 trans. This might be an excellent time to invest in a new torque convertor and a trans rebuild.

As far as the intake is concerned, you can buy adapters from several companies (MMR and Professional Products and a few others) to run any 4.6 intake on a 5.4 SOHC. If a 4.6 DOHC will fit in an Aviator, a 5.4 SOHC will fit in an Explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep us updated... Personally I think you should go a bit beefier then an iron block 2v 4.6L; shoot for a DOHC 4.6L or even a 3v 4.6L.

Good luck regardless.

Back