• Register Today It's free!

V8 Vs SOHC V6

hunter31

Reaction score
City, State
Kittanning Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Eddie Baurer
Hi guys I am looking at 2 diferent explorers both 98's the V8 has 145000 miles on it good cond one owner AWD and the V6 has 130000 miles on it good cond. I can get the v8 for 3500 and the v6 for 2500 which would be a better deal. Also how does the AWD do in the snow compared to 4wd
Hunter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What do you want to use the truck for? Do you plan on wheeling it? Do you plan on keeping it stock/close to? If not how much are you willing/planning to modify it?

I am going to keep it stock just use it for a daily driver

Well if its the SOHC V6 its actually a little quicker than the V8, the V8 obviously has more torque though. Hmmm, I've never had a vehicle that I kept stock, lol. I always buy a vehicle based on its potential to modify, so this is kind of new territory for me. As far as the snow and ice they will be the same really, the V8 is AWD and the 6 is auto 4wd, so if the computer detects the rear wheels spinning faster than the front will engage the front wheels. The V6 does have low range though, if you ever need it.

I've owned 4 Explorers. One was OHV V6, two were SOHC V6 and one was the V8. I presented them in order of preference (from least to most favourite). The SOHC is a decent engine IF the timing chain work has been done on it. Performance is similar to the V8. If timing chain work hasn't been done, expect an expensive repair down the road. The V8 has more torque, and is much more reliable AND mated to a more reliable tranny. Ask anyone who has owned both and they'll most likely tell you to go V8. Of course as already mentioned, you can't get a V8 with true 4WD (just AWD) so that might have some bearing on your decision. The SOHC can be had with 4WD (in stock form).

I'm in the middle of a Canadian winter. AWD is superb, especially with true snow/ice tires (which I have).

i'd take the v8. The transmission is stronger, the engine is stronger, and its just more fun to drive. If you need low range then get the SOHC, if not get the V8.

$3500 is a bit high for a 140K mile 5.0.

I had both. Im currently ready to shoot myself over my 97 SOHC. Like he said if the timing chain recall wasnt taken care of yet it will be expensive. I miss my 96 5.0. That truck was GREAT! The only problem I ever had with that was the squeaky suspension. I would say work the price a bit on the V8 and go for that.

Good luck!

you can always do the transfercase swap to a manual shift 4406 if you want true 4X4 or low range (I'll be doing it for wheeling)

but the AWD is a superb transfercase for winters because you never have to think, it's always on, no electric shifter to fail (although being on all the time does wear the front drive chain faster)

Stupid question, if there is a recall, and the warranty on the vehicle has expired, does Ford still foot the bill? I have a used 2001 Sport and it is not under any warranty. Also, I left the Vin report at the dealership, will the carfax history show if the recalls have been serviced?

Thx!

D a n a

I have one of each. I prefer the 2000 with v-8 awd and 4 spd at over the 1999 sohc which has a half dollar sized ventilation hole in front left side of the engine where a piece of the chain tensioner blew through. <grin>

Both trucks were/are good in snow...but I have to say my v8 awd with 4 new cooper snow tires is just a fabulous winter driver.

I will go with v8 most v6 sohc end up in the junkyard! Imo

I think the SOHC is a great engine except for that whole timing chain crap. Its just as fast if not faster than my moms V8 AWD. But I still would go with the V8. They sound better when you put an exhaust on it and have more torque for towing.

Wow i cant believe this hasnt been brough up yet. But for a daily driver i would go sohc for the better mpg. I have this in my sport and love it. The sohc engine has a lot more potential then the v8 as well in the mpg catagory. Check out aldive who has a thread about his milage monster that gets 35+mpg on the high way using the sohc. True the v8 might be a more reliable engine but sohc still has a good following.

Wow i cant believe this hasnt been brough up yet. But for a daily driver i would go sohc for the better mpg. I have this in my sport and love it. The sohc engine has a lot more potential then the v8 as well in the mpg catagory. Check out aldive who has a thread about his milage monster that gets 35+mpg on the high way using the sohc. True the v8 might be a more reliable engine but sohc still has a good following.

I went from a SOHC Sport to a V8 Eddie Bauer and noticed little decline in the way of mileage when I went V8 (much to my surprise). Both trucks had similar mods too. The Sport was 4WD and EB is AWD.

I think we all agree that Al's mileage with his 2WD truck is far from typical or there'd be a lot more documented cases of 30+ mpg SOHC trucks on the site. I got maybe 20 on the highway which is pretty much what I get with the V8.

I still maintain that the SOHC is a fine engine IF and only IF the timing chain work has been done. I got mine done under warranty and the truck sounded like a diesel and had performance issues before the work got done.

Having a 98 EB 4.0L SOHC... I'm looking for a 2nd vehicle somewhat soon, and you can bet it'll be the 5.0 V8.

Timing chain fix was done on my truck, but only b/c I had to have the motor rebuilt because a doofus mechanic dropped a bolt in it.... but upon tearing it down, they said it didn't have much longer w/ the guides, etc. Had 156k miles on it upon rebuild. Might keep that in mind...

I'd personally opt for the V8 AWD. I love my 4.0L SOHC V6 truck, especially now that the motor & tranny are both rebuilt and have warranties... but our next Ex will be a V8 for sure.

Back