Vacuum hose? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum hose?

Captcrunch

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 exploder 4x4 xlt
While replacing my pass. Upper control arm yesterday, I moved a small plastic hose/line and broke the end off of the line, just forward of the rubber fitting that connects to a plastic "thingy" and that connects to another rubber fitting and then more hose/line. I heard a suction kinda sounds hen the line broke. The piece that broke off appears to run somewhere under the airfilter box but I cannot tell where it ends. Does anyone know what this line is for, and are they available anywhere other than a junk yard? Or is there a solid way to repair the problem. I tried to get the little hose out of the rubber fitting with no luck. Thanks for any help

vacuum reservoir?

There were three different engines possible on the 1998 Explorer: OHV V6, SOHC V6 and OHV V8. If you have the SOHC V6 I suspect you're describing the semi-rigid hose that connects to the vacuum reservoir located below the air filter enclosure. You should be able to find a flexible length of hose with the same inner diameter as the outer diameter of the broken one. Just slip a length of the flexible hose over each end of the broken one and tighten each end with small cable ties.

Back