97 AWD 5.0 broke fuel line are filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 AWD 5.0 broke fuel line are filter

Yo mama

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 5.0 Explorer awd
Changing fuel filter in hopes old one got plugged after running out of gas 3 times in a month and now 1997 AWD 5.0 won't start. So I fought with worst fuel filter line connectors got engine side off but gas tank side ripped off metal quick connect fitting at rubber hose line and fitting. Can I just slip rubber line over new gas filter and clamp it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

45 psi fuel pressure vs 16 psi radiator pressure. Not a hose and clamp repair unfortunately.

They do make replacement fuel lines for proper repair, but maybe you could get this line from a junk yard.

You can get small high pressure clamps, my 60 series Detroit has a few on some accessory hoses. Since factory style replacement parts are available that would be my recommendation.

Auto parts store has fuel line repair kits come w fittings and high pressure clamps / fuel injection hose
Clamps

Lots of threads on how to defeat those
Stupid spring lock quick connectors
We use pb blaster to free any dirt
Compressed air to Clean out the fitting
(Brake cleaner can also work)
Then it’s like a Chinese finger puzzle you want to push the line onto the filter all the way, then install your release tool fully, then pull apart

They suck. I change my filter every 30k, which is overkill, and even then it’s a fight every time.

And then I take a gasoline bath

Back