Valve Cover / Gasket / EGR valve

mtuboi86

Reaction score
City, State
Hancock, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 E.B. Explorer
Hey,
I posted some time ago about a possible head-gasket leak. Still getting used to working my way around an engine, I was informed that the leak was coming from the Valve cover's gasket, rather than the head. It was leaking, and burning on my exhaust manifold causing smoke. Yet, there hasn't been a noticeable loss in oil, as far as I can tell.

Yesterday and today I started tearing my way into the engine. I was finally able to get the driver's side (left?) Valve cover off. It is quite rusted, but still solid. I cleaned the inside of the cover off, and am working on de-rusting it and painting it with hi-temp paint.

How do I tell if the components within the valve cover are good? I'm not sure of the terminology, but I'm talking about the components in which the valve cover protects. The inside of my valve cover was caked in deposits, as are those components.

Also, I need to replace my EGR Valve. I've had no luck in detaching it from the EGR tube nor detaching the EGR tube from the exhaust manifold. It just won't budge, even after using "B'laster PB Penetrating Catalyst" (http://shop.blasterchemical.com/display.cfm?p=50003&pid=4)
The reason for replacing the EGR valve is cuz there's an obvious gap between the circular "UFO-like" part of it and the L-shaped tube part of it... which shouldn't be there. Any help there?

In trying to take the valve cover off, I may have cracked the EGR intake tube (oops) ... or it sounded like it. Sure hope it wasn't. Couldn't see any damage.

Any tips for getting the passenger side (right) valve cover off? Figure since I'm replacing the Left side, I may as well do the right as well, even though that side doesn't leak.

Side note: I have noticed a general lack of power (no change from when I first bought it, though), and a decrease in gas mileage (this is a change ... about 10MPG). The engine idles rough and low, close to 600RPM. Sitting at stop lights, you can feel the engine surging. While investigating I found the vacuum tubes to have holes in both of the 2 tubes going to the EVR sensor(?). I replaced those, and immediately after doing so my check engine light came on (and wasn't on before). I have just under 190,000 miles on it. I have an inexpensive code reader, but haven't figured it out yet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's the EGR Valve. It may be hard to tell, but I circled & labeled in Green where it's split. This pic was before I had the valve cover off. You can see it in the background. Ignore the yellow circling and the other white label.

6h8h2t.jpg

Where is that located? My dad told me to check the egr valve (check engine light) and I can't even find the damn thing.

Where is that located? My dad told me to check the egr valve (check engine light) and I can't even find the damn thing.

You "might not" have one.. I know 1991 and 1992 don't have them and I now 1994 does.. I just can't remember if 1993 does.. If you do, its on the driver side of the engine just under the IAC (IAC is bolted to the drivers side of the upper intake which is also called the plenum)..

~Mark

You "might not" have one.. I know 1991 and 1992 don't have them and I now 1994 does.. I just can't remember if 1993 does.. If you do, its on the driver side of the engine just under the IAC (IAC is bolted to the drivers side of the upper intake which is also called the plenum)..

~Mark
Well this makes a whole lot more sense now :confused:

i am trying to find one on my 02. but you are right, not every year has one. anyone know how to find mine

Back