• Register Today It's free!

Valve covers?

Mongo420

Reaction score
City, State
Brookings, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 4x4
hey just wondering if any one knew where to get custom valve covers for my 91 x it has the 4.0 liter. ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The closest I have seen to custom valve cover is to have Turtle powder coat them for you. I've seen his work on other valve covers and I have some other parts that were coated by him (Radius arms and diff cover). He does good work.

send him a PM and see what he can do for you (he's wheeling this weekend though, so he might be slow responding).

edit: here is one of his threads with many things he has coated. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2245967&highlight=valve+cover#post2245967

~Mark

you might be able to chrome them out if you send them to a customs shop in your local habitat. i saw a crazy colored engine somewhere here on the forum.

you might be able to chrome them out if you send them to a customs shop in your local habitat. i saw a crazy colored engine somewhere here on the forum.

Those might have been mine.

The explorer 4.0 ohv motor.
2343573777_26e65227d8.jpg

The 460 Motor in the tow rig.
3666081197_d0c3084d56.jpg

That is all done with engine paint. Turdles powder coating is amazing, I wish I could have had him coat some of the motor parts..

~Mark

those are the ones. i was rappin about...

BTW the green thins are the cylinder heads no? i have to check mine out. im pretty sure they are.

ahhh, the lego engines,,
looking weird, but good,

hahahaha wow i like the paint. looks like ill pull out the ol powder coat gun again....if i can find it (messy garage). SO does anyone happen to have a 4.0 that is rebuildable that they want to sell?

BTW the green thins are the cylinder heads no? i have to check mine out. im pretty sure they are.

Yes, on the 460, the green things are the heads..

On the 4.0 (explorer) the green things are heads, upper intake and the oil filter adapter/mount.

~Mark

hey just wondering if any one knew where to get custom valve covers for my 91 x it has the 4.0 liter. ideas?

they do not make any anywhere i have checked everywhere.:thumbsup:

i think edelbrock sells replacement ones or something maybe. i think i saw a bronco on here with edelbrock valve covers.

Edelbrock does NOT make valve covers for the 4.0L V-6.

You probably saw a 302 with them, that was swapped into the Bronco.

Ryan

Edelbrock does NOT make valve covers for the 4.0L V-6.

You probably saw a 302 with them, that was swapped into the Bronco.

Ryan

probly. i forgot to mention it was an olde bronco i saw them on.

Those are great looking...

Seriously, how much work is it to powdercoat those? And can you powdercoat aluminum as well? Like an OHV timing chain cover?

And what is the cost for those?

Aluminum is no problem, although a timing cover is tricky to mask off and requires a bit more work than 2 valve covers.

For these I would like 45.00 and your old set returned. For a solid non metallic color 40.00 exchange.
The covers in the picture have a second coat of clear powder, which requires a second cure cycle, so 5.00 more for clear.

First I take the old ones and run them thru a "self clean" cycle in my small oven to burn off all the old powdercoating and oil. Obviously this only works with steel parts.

Then they get bead blasted clean, and coated. It takes a total of about 5 hours to end up with this

Soon ( hopefully tonight) I will have another set like this, and, an upper intake manifold, water neck to match available.

I plan on this same color unless someone speaks up for another--

THose look sweet. i want my upper intake to look like that.

I also have this " hunter green metallic" set of valve covers and water neck available for 45.00 exchange.

The intake is gone but I could do another to match.

12-01-09004.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, I'm diggin' the black chrome! How much would it run me for a set of valve covers, water neck, and upper intake in black chrome shipped to 27262? (With my old ones sent back, right?) You do some nice work, those things are nice!

Back