Cast aluminum valve covers for first gen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cast aluminum valve covers for first gen?

sd_iconoclast

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I have a 91 Explorer EB 4x4 with the 4.0.
When I got it, it was leaking oil from the rear of the valve covers, particularly the passenger side. I have never had much luck getting stamped steel valve covers sealed. Instead, I have always tried to find cast aluminum valve covers instead.
Are there any cast aluminum valve covers that fit the Explorer 4.0?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope.just need to replace using new gaskets, not cork..

The stock valve covers have a tendency to get warped around the bolt holes when people over-tighten the bolts while using cork gaskets. It is very common. You can straighten the metal again but it is tough. I ended up sourcing good stock valve covers from a junkyard and installing them with Fel-Pro Permadry Plus gaskets, which are an improved design that avoids damage caused by overtorquing the bolts.

The 4.0 to my knowledge was not offered with aluminum valve covers. However, they were available stock and aftermarket on the 2.8 and 2.9 engines, such as those in the European Capri. Check these out; you might have to drill an extra hole but the shape appears correct. I'm unsure if with the addition of the extra hole required, if they'll fit, but perhaps someone can chime in who does know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-2-8-2-9-V6-COLOGNE-ALLOY-ROCKER-COVERS-CAPRI-SIERRA-TVR-GRANADA-MK2-KITCAR-/201034583786?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ece984eea

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Valve-Covers-RS-Ford-Capri-MK3-V6-NEW-/260973163916?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item3cc336758c

So when do us 4.0 owners get together and have a group buy on some cast valve covers? I'm rocking the factory stamped steels that have been powder-coated by Turdle, but would really like a cast aluminum pair.

Benjam :D

So when do us 4.0 owners get together and have a group buy on some cast valve covers? I'm rocking the factory stamped steels that have been powder-coated by Turdle, but would really like a cast aluminum pair.

Count me in on the group buy.
I would vote we get this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151217259249?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
It looks like the bolt holes, filler, and PCV holes line up with ours.

It looks to me like cast aluminum valve covers are plentiful in Europe.
Does anyone know some guy in Europe who can go to the local pick-your-parts and pull a bunch of these things off of Ford Sierras, Capris etc?

Count me in on the group buy.
I would vote we get this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151217259249?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
It looks like the bolt holes, filler, and PCV holes line up with ours.

It looks to me like cast aluminum valve covers are plentiful in Europe.
Does anyone know some guy in Europe who can go to the local pick-your-parts and pull a bunch of these things off of Ford Sierras, Capris etc?

Hmmmm.bolts do look similar but look very tall.doesnt say what motor they are for tho.

Bolt pattern looks similar but looking at the gaskets they're almost more squared off..maybe when it warms up I could play in the junkyard with swapping some covers around.

Hmmmm.bolts do look similar but look very tall.doesnt say what motor they are for tho.

It does say they are for a Cologne V6.
In the wiki entry for "Ford Cologne V6"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine

you can see that our explorers have the 4.0 version of the Cologne V6 while various European Fords have Cologne V6s of smaller displacements.

They do look a bit tall but I think we have room.

It does say they are for a Cologne V6.
In the wiki entry for "Ford Cologne V6"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine

you can see that our explorers have the 4.0 version of the Cologne V6 while various European Fords have Cologne V6s of smaller displacements.

They do look a bit tall but I think we have room.

Well I do know they made two different valve covers for the 2.9 but dont know if the bolt patterns or gasket patterns changed.guess smart easy thing would be to go to pqrts store and have them pull a 2.8-2.9-and 4.0.

Even then idk if $300ish for valve covers would be even worth it..:crazy::crazy:

$300 isn't too different from what people pay for aftermarket aluminum 302 Windsor valve covers. About a fair rate. If you mean that it's pointless as a performance enhancer, I agree, but they sure do look nicer than our steel "poor person" valve covers.

One way to compare gaskets and fitments is to look up the gasket kits on RockAuto. I don't have time to since I am at work but that'd be worth looking at.

Hey, I have had the 2.0, 2.3, 2.6, 2.8 and 4.0. The cover never bothered me. :D

Some older folks told me those Al covers can bend when they are overheating. Dunno if that was folklore, but steel is easier bend straight (and tight).

I sent them a email and asked if they would fit the 4.0 and this was there response

""We have a 4.0 explorer engine here, the standard rocker covers have 4 bolts top and bottom

The alloy rocker covers only have 3 on the top not 4, it should be ok as the alloy covers don't flex like the tin ones.

Happy to ship to USA, if you require a postage cost I will need your full address""

So jd, are you going to guinea pig these for us?;)

So jd, are you going to guinea pig these for us?;)

Sure!!! Ill be accepting 20 dollar donations from all those that are curious:D

I also contacted the seller, but I asked about a group buy. I got a similar response:

"We have a 4.0 explorer engine here. The standard rocker covers have 4 bolts top and bottom.

The alloy rocker covers do fit, but will only use 3 of the bolt holes on the top edge not 4, but it will be ok as they don't flex like the standard tin ones do.

If you have a few I will do them at £125 set".

By my calculations that is about $200 a set.

I wonder which bolt hole is missing and if it can be drilled.

Hmm. I'm interested but still at $200 a set I'd like to be positive they will work

Its missing one of the top bolt holes.it has a spot that can be drilled.from what I've found it should work.changes were made to the covers of the 2.9 but from what I can tell it wasnt to how it mounted.the newer covers could fit on the older heads..

Im definitely passing on this as im spending thousands on other stuff so money needs to go to that.also my drivers is completely covered by my sc and manifold and the coil pack covers most on the passenger. .for my app you wouldnt even see them after they were mounted..

You bring up a good point, I completely forgot about the coil pack..I wonder how much taller these covers are versus the current, and if the coil pack would even clear it. I'm sure there's a way to make it work using spacers though if there is a problem.

Im sure more clearance issue would come in also

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At $200 a pair, I would be in, but I don't like the design. Too old school looking for me.

The coil pack could always be relocated. The heater box might be a clearance issue but that could be remedied.

Back