Vibration and noise pattern when turning left | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vibration and noise pattern when turning left

nitroracer82

Reaction score
City, State
Downers Grove, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer Sport XLT 4x4
Ok so I'm stumped. I've been looking everywhere on here and found a couple possible solutions, but for problems which are only similar and not identical to my issue that just started the other day on my 03 X Sport.
Problem is when I turn left. Doesn't matter the speed, only the degree of turn. I feel a noticeable vibration and hear a vibration/rubbing pattern noise on left hand turns from maybe a 20-50 degree turn. I do not feel or hear anything on slight bends in the road or when I do a full wheel lock turn. The noise is a pattern like a it is linked to rotation: RUB-pause-RUB-pause-RUB-pause etc changing in intensity and speed with my speed.
It sounds like it is coming from up front on the left.. but I read about some who say the problem is in the rear?..
So cant afford to take it in to a shop and also cant afford to keep guessing and replacing one thing to the next. Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated.
BTW tires are perfect, newer and constantly rotated.

I have an 02 XLT and had what you described, but at lower speeds....once in a while i would hear a "clunk" as well. Anyway, I have a friend that works alot on Ford vehicles (mechanic) and he said a lot of these problems are caused faulty S/W issues. So I took his advice....BTW, my battery was 7 years old and had to be changed anyway. So I took out the old battery and cleaned up the area and let the truck sit about 15 minutes as to reset or re-boot. I put the new battery in, it obviously rebooted (gauges were all over the map....then settled). End of story, problem has not occurred since and it's been about a month or more.
Also, I no longer notice the XLT going from 2-wheel to AWD in wet conditions. Before the reboot you would feel an obvious "jerk" from rear to front wheels, now I don't. I guess it's worth a try...

Back