Voltage Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Little Ferd

Reaction score
City, State
Sandwich
Year, Model & Trim Level
00, Explorer, Eddie Bauer
I have a 00 Explorer Eddie Bauer which i just bought a new alternator for because i had thought the voltage regulator in the old one had gone bad and wasn't charging the battery. After putting in the new alternator the car ran fine for a few days, today i was driving home and all of a sudden my battery light came on and my voltage meter had dropped all the way down. I noticed that the meter would spike back to normal voltage a few times but ultimately would go back down. I made it home fine but the battery was dead. I checked all my alternator and battery connections, everything seems fine, solid connections, not rust or corrosion on the battery terminals. All alternator connections are fine. I jump started it and it would run fine but the voltage and battery like still showing almost nothing.

Any more info i can provide let me know and any info anyone out there can provide is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you got a bad alternator.
I'd take it back to where ever you got it from for an exchange.

With the engine running check the voltage at the "B" (large) terminal on the back of the alternator. It should read 13.6 to 14+ volts.

It could be a defective alternator, or a bad connection/wire. If you bought the alternator from a local auto parts store they should be able to test it for you.

There is a mini fuse, in the fuse panel under the hood. #6 I think, 30a protects the generator regulator circuit. It could be blown. Also check the fusible links.

Where are the fusible links located?
I have never seen them I know what they are ...a piece on solid copper wire with heat shrink on it but where

Back