Want to learn how to lift an Explorer sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Want to learn how to lift an Explorer sport

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer Sport

Hey I have a 1996 Explorer Sport. I want to learn how to lift it but don't really know how high I can lift it cuz I live in Maine... don't really know the rules yet ; any one have any ideas or know how to lift one please leave messages

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I could understand is if your vehicle has anti-lock brakes, Maine law forbids modification of those vehicles.

Luvs2fourwheel2, if your Sport has anti-lock brakes, and I'm sure it does, because even 1st gen Explorers have rear anti-lock brakes, it is illegal to lift your truck by Maine law

um.. not sure if I have anit-lock brakes in my Explorer Sport.. I believe I have abs?? whatever that is... One of my friends has a truck and his lift in the truck was illegal and had to take it off the truck soo yea.. I don't like the laws in Maine

um.. not sure if I have anit-lock brakes in my Explorer Sport.. I believe I have abs?? whatever that is... One of my friends has a truck and his lift in the truck was illegal and had to take it off the truck soo yea.. I don't like the laws in Maine

ABS = Antilock Braking System

Maine must SUCK to make a law like that! Not even a 2" lift is legal? LAME! Maybe you could disconnect the abs, and then a lift would be legal, lol.

Haha yea.. Maine does suck a little.

Welll I called this place today in Winthrop Maine :D that you can buy lift kits from and or they can do the work for you. They said that since i'm 16 that I should only lift it a little soo that I can get use to the car and then lift it some more after I get use to the lift in the car.. :eek: but they told me that they don't sell a 2'' lift for it soo now i'm probably going to have to lift it like 4'' and put like 36'' tires on it.. soo yea all this cost like 4,000 bucks for the lift new tires and rims cuz can't use the other ones. :rolleyes:

Haha yea.. Maine does suck a little.

Welll I called this place today in Winthrop Maine :D that you can buy lift kits from and or they can do the work for you. They said that since i'm 16 that I should only lift it a little soo that I can get use to the car and then lift it some more after I get use to the lift in the car.. :eek: but they told me that they don't sell a 2'' lift for it soo now i'm probably going to have to lift it like 4'' and put like 36'' tires on it.. soo yea all this cost like 4,000 bucks for the lift new tires and rims cuz can't use the other ones. :rolleyes:

Just my opinion here.
But if you are only 16 years old, And new to driving. I feel you should put the lift on hold. Get used to driving first. Not to mention most young drivers either beat up or crash (hope you do not) There first ride. I know I did. My girlfriends kid ran into some money and dumped all types of cash into his first car. Rims, low profile tires, dvd ect. I was against all of this. Well sure as ****, he totaled it. Waste of money. You got plenty of time to lift your rig. Drive around for a few years and have fun, But please dont try to learn how to drive on 36" tires. Just my opinion
Good luck
JIGA

Just my opinion here.
But if you are only 16 years old, And new to driving. I feel you should put the lift on hold. Get used to driving first. Not to mention most young drivers either beat up or crash (hope you do not) There first ride. I know I did. My girlfriends kid ran into some money and dumped all types of cash into his first car. Rims, low profile tires, dvd ect. I was against all of this. Well sure as ****, he totaled it. Waste of money. You got plenty of time to lift your rig. Drive around for a few years and have fun, But please dont try to learn how to drive on 36" tires. Just my opinion
Good luck
JIGA

yea.. I know i'm only 16 :eek: and I should learn how to drive it before I lift it just i'm not gonna crash it or beat it up... theres really nothin in my car but the radio and nothin esle.. lol.. j/k I have other stuff in my car. I've had a lot of guys tell me that I can't drive real fast and **** but.. I really want to lift it and i'm probably not going to be 36'' tires on it anyways cuz they are goin to rub soo like 33'' tires will do but probably not going to lift it soon cuz it cost like 4,000 bucks and don't have that right now soo i'm waitin for a while :rolleyes:

Move to Missouri. We don't have all those b.s. laws:D

Lifting a truck in Maine and staying legal =

Hi-Lift%20Jack.jpg

I would have to move

What happens if I move to Maine with an already lifted truck?

What about a body lift? Would that be legal.

Christie, most of the people on this site with modified explorers have done modifications in phases, and not necessarly all at once. Also each modification will change the handling and performance of the vehicle. You may want to consider 31-inch tires, and little or no lift. A little torsion twist up front and a new set of rear springs and you should fit without rubbing. You may find that other modifications are important to you an expensive lift and large tires. Exhaust, gears, shocks and other performance items may become more important to you as you decide what you like.

Move to Missouri. We don't have all those b.s. laws:D

Haha I wish I could :p:!!!I bet you guys don't have all those bullshit laws.. we doo in Maine and it kinda sucks; but parents live here and I don't think that they are moving any time soon :rolleyes: haha wish we were tho... :D

Lifting a truck in Maine and staying legal =

Hi-Lift%20Jack.jpg

I would have to move

What happens if I move to Maine with an already lifted truck?

Um.. well you could move

Nothin really happens to you if you come here and visit for a while with an already lifted truck. My parents have a friend that lives in FL and comes up in the summer to visit but other then that the (pigs) just look at the truck and want to pull if over put they can't do anything about it cuz hes only here to visit doesn't live here full time... (year round). Um.. probably if you moved here with an already lifted truck and it was lifted to high then they would tell you to take it off the truck or lower it cuz thats what happened with one of my friends trucks it kinda sucked.

They changed the laws I guess just don't know them all soo I guesss i'm gonna have to catch up on this stuff... :rolleyes: :eek:

What about a body lift? Would that be legal.

Christie, most of the people on this site with modified explorers have done modifications in phases, and not necessarly all at once. Also each modification will change the handling and performance of the vehicle. You may want to consider 31-inch tires, and little or no lift. A little torsion twist up front and a new set of rear springs and you should fit without rubbing. You may find that other modifications are important to you an expensive lift and large tires. Exhaust, gears, shocks and other performance items may become more important to you as you decide what you like.

Yes.. its legal :p: :)!!! I called and just was askin them some questions about it and how much how it would cost and if they would do the work for me and stuff... cuz I don't know what i'm doing wiht that kind of stuff.. :rolleyes: lol!! Yea I understand what your sayin do a little to the car and not spend all kinds of money into it.. :D Yea.. I think I just might agree with you

thankx... everyone for the help you guys are awesome :)

Back