Was told I need a new AC suction hose... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Was told I need a new AC suction hose...

terrapin69

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
they put $125 worth of refrigerant in the vehicle (3lbs) yesterday - This morning, hot air. Brought it back and I am awaiting a quote on the suction hose replacement...The tech said no other leaks were detected.

Is this something I could buy at Autozone (the suction hose) and do myself relatively easily? I'm relatively handy when it comes to the car but have no access to a lift.

Suggestions? Any idea of what a quote will run me? I also hope I'm not charged another $125 to re-charge the system since they put it in without finding the leak first...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They put a dye first on the $125 refrigerant they put in initially. That's the first thing to do to check for leaks later. You could change the hose yourself but you need a vacuum pump to remove moisture and ac manifold gauge to check and replace freon. You don't need a lift to work on the AC.

They might charge you again for the recharge along with the parts and labor.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

thanks

they said they would not charge me a dime to recharge the system, which is cool. I certainly don't have the required tools and gauges to collect the remaining gas, vacuum out the moisture, and add new R134-A - so although the tubing may be straightforward enough, I assume the whole project, done right, is beyond what I have available in my garage

they put $125 worth of refrigerant in the vehicle (3lbs) yesterday - This morning, hot air. Brought it back and I am awaiting a quote on the suction hose replacement...The tech said no other leaks were detected.

Is this something I could buy at Autozone (the suction hose) and do myself relatively easily? I'm relatively handy when it comes to the car but have no access to a lift.

Suggestions? Any idea of what a quote will run me? I also hope I'm not charged another $125 to re-charge the system since they put it in without finding the leak first...

Just to put things in perspective.. That $125 was not for refrigerant. That was mostly labor..

If you go to autozone or another chain parts store you pay < $15 per 12 ounces of r-134. If you know where to buy it (like shops do) they pay $6 or so per 12 ounces, if not less (I pay $6-$8 per 12 ounce can). That is assuming the shop uses 12 ounce cans and not the big 20 pound thing (many shops do run the little cans, but I don't know why)..

So, If they are going to evacuate and recharge the system for free and only charge you for the hose/install you know they are going to mark up the suction hose and charge you 1 hour of labor to put it on, at least...

Just figure out what the bill will be before they do it and look at the autozone price for the hose to get an idea of what it would cost you. Then remember that they don't pay those prices.. They get discounts.. Of course they may be buying a better quality hose (it happens) so if they charge a little more than autozone, thats ok.. if they charge 300% more then think twice.

~Mark

But what about...

The need to purge the system of moisture and excess r134? I assume i need special tools

cost/benefit ratio

so, while I am still awaiting an "official" quote from the shop, I have read the replies and have determined (approximately):

1. The gauge will run me about $65
2. The vacuum pump about $160
3. The actual suction hose around $95-$100
4. The R134-A around $50

Unless the shop comes back with a quote of $500 or more, is this even worth doing myself?

so, while I am still awaiting an "official" quote from the shop, I have read the replies and have determined (approximately):

1. The gauge will run me about $65
2. The vacuum pump about $160
3. The actual suction hose around $95-$100
4. The R134-A around $50

Unless the shop comes back with a quote of $500 or more, is this even worth doing myself?

Those prices seem about right for non sale/coupon prices.. Harbor Freight has sales all the time.. Last time I looked (late last week) it was $52 for the gauges and $104 for the pump..

The only thing you can't do is Capture the old r-134 (assuming there is any left). You're "supposed" to have it captured (instead of letting it out into the atmosphere) before you work on the system. Some people just let it go into the air, others find shops that will take your old r-134 for free or cheap (they keep it)..

So, in answer to your question.. Personally, at $300 I'd think really hard at doing it myself (since they said they weren't going to charge for evacuating/charging the system).. I like tools and after a couple a/c jobs my tools have paid for themselves. Also, a/c work is actually not as hard as it seems.. its not the doing but the knowing and there is tons of info out there.. The Theory of operation of how they really work helps the most.

AND, if you put some dye in your system finding a leak later (if you get one) will be much easier.. and finding a leak is usually the hardest thing when working on a/c.

~Mark

here's the deal

just got quote from shop:

while they won't charge me for the additional re-charge after they repair/replace the hose, I'd be looking at $450. They claim the hose itself is $255 and of course I know I can get it for about $98 at autozone.

Only question now is whether or not...

1. I need a lift (I was told in a previous response no but the shop used a lift to diag the car)

2. will autozone rent a vac and gauge set

3. where would I get the necessary amount of freon needed?

Thanks for the continued guidance.

while they won't charge me for the additional re-charge after they repair/replace the hose, I'd be looking at $450. They claim the hose itself is $255 and of course I know I can get it for about $98 at autozone.

1. I need a lift (I was told in a previous response no but the shop used a lift to diag the car)

They used a lift because it's easier to see leaks in the ac compressor, you can raise it up with a jackstand or a ramp (the ac compressor is at the bottom) The hose you're fixing is accessible from the top.

Autozone does rent them but it depends on the store nearest you. In my place here they don't do that anymore (those tools easily gets broken). I bought mine at HF for $100 for vacuum pump (or you could rent) and $45 for the gauge. HF also sells the freon for $15 (autozone normally sells them for $20) Usually HF 20% off coupons on magazines and online. They also have those green o-rings (the whole set) The one in auto stores usually don't match and very expensive.

Freon is available in most auto stores, from $15 to $20 a can.

You don't need to reclaim anything on your system since they all leaked out.

Also when you do the repairs always replace o-rings with new ones and use a UV dye kit to detect leaks (special eyeglass and flashlight, this will save you on freon if there's a leak again)

My compressor blew up before and I replaced it by myself at a fraction of cost on having the shop do it.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.376617435739747.83087.110528882348605&type=3

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

You can get the line from a Ford dealer like Tasca for half that. I would get them on that, and at this point you are probably best off letting them finish the job right. It is not hard to do refrigeration like this, but they should be trained to do the job well and you do not have to worry about figuring out pressure/temperature charts.

I would push back on the price. Ask them why does their hose cost $255 when you can get the hose at Autozone without any comercial discount for < $100. The $200 labor I guess is 2 hours @ $100/hour...

Now to your questions..
1: You don't need a lift.. It makes it easier to get to the compressor but jack stands or even "good" ramps will make it easier.
2: Some Chain stores rent the a/c pump but not all..
3: Parts stores and even Harbor Freight tools carry 12 ounce cans of r-134. Last time I looked at the store is was $14/can around here.. Worst case someone can pick up a cans cheap and ship them (UPS ground) to you.. I've been thinking of doing this for people since I'm paying well under $10 per can and some places its just really expensive.

If you were to buy all the tools and parts to do it yourself you would be at around $300-$325.. I can't remember if you need the quick disconnect tools (same tool used for fuel lines).. If so, its $10 for the "set".

As I see it, you would save money now and be able to work on your a/c system later since you'll have the right tools. Personally I like learning how to do things for myself and I got tired of paying $500 for a/c repairs when I could do the same repair for less than $150 in parts.

~Mark

Edit: One thing that just occured to me.. You said "no leaks detected" BUT they say you need a suction hose. If their diagnosis is wrong will they do more repairs for free? If they diagnosed it wrong and you do the work yourself your out the money for a hose you didn't need. You'll still have some new tools though so you can fix it correctly once the right issues if found. Of course, I may have just missed where they said they found the leak or collapsed hose (never seen one). I have seen plugged orifice tubes but that is usually caused by a bad compressor/break down of oil.. the orifice tube can get plugged with metal shavings or black death.

FWIW - Was at Menard's the other day and they had a pallet of r134a cans for $3.99 each. I grabbed one even though I have a can at home already and haven't needed any for a couple years. You rarely see it for less than $10 anymore. I think walmart sells it for $10-12.

Back