Washed my motor driven five miles now it wont start back!!! HELP!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Washed my motor driven five miles now it wont start back!!! HELP!!

well i am getting a computer for m autozone for a lona tool and hooking it up and seeing what it tells me and my dad is going to help me to check if we are gettinfg spark its allmost impossible to check yourself and then from there i am lost again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

410 you misread his original post , where he said it will crank all day , but not start.
No need to get hostile , Alternator ,nor starter care about water , and water is not a conductor , it is a ground .
Funny thing is you all go off roading , and splash water and mud all over that engine bay , and it seems to cause no trouble , but when you clean it off , youu have trouble .....I've been washing engines long before efi , and fuelie , yes the old points didn't like water , but you seem to go a bit overboard....
Don't get me wrong , I've seen you post excelent information in the past , I've even used your knowlege to repair or chase down a problem ,
my point is to please read the whole post , so as to not waste ones time with frivilous posting such as had just happened.
Not trying to piss you off ....

ashleyroachclip said:
410 you misread his original post , where he said it will crank all day , but not start.
No need to get hostile , Alternator ,nor starter care about water , and water is not a conductor , it is a ground .
Funny thing is you all go off roading , and splash water and mud all over that engine bay , and it seems to cause no trouble , but when you clean it off , youu have trouble .....I've been washing engines long before efi , and fuelie , yes the old points didn't like water , but you seem to go a bit overboard....
Don't get me wrong , I've seen you post excelent information in the past , I've even used your knowlege to repair or chase down a problem ,
my point is to please read the whole post , so as to not waste ones time with frivilous posting such as had just happened.
Not trying to piss you off ....
Some info 410 posts is good info, some is off the wall wrong, JMHO, peace

i remember a few years ago i did this in my 96 neon. turned out the water pressure broke what was already an old delicate wire harness to my coil pack. id definatly check your connections to all spark components.

OH now I am pissed!

hahaha just kidding, hey we all learn here, right?

You guys must understand alot of what I post is also what I have been told and have learned from friends, mechanics over the years, my dad, etc,. hahaha this is my hobby, not my profession and I am by no means an expert, I learn as I go just like you. Also we all have our little specialties don't we? I mean wiring, drivetrain stuff I am pretty damn good at, body work, um yeah I am learning :) hahaha You want computer stuff go to Aldive, you want trans, go to Glacier, you want Sport trac?? well I guess you can ask Spindlecone...hahaha

I know a starter can get dirty inside after sitting in mud, dirt in a motor = can cause failure. I have been told alternators dont like water, I have suspected water as the cause of a failing alternator in the past, so maybe I jump to conclusions? I dunno. MY best friends brother is a head mechanic for denver fire, he basically is in charge of the entire fleet of emergency vehicles. He is alway stelling me about how much $$$ they spend on electricals under the trucks, ABS sensors, starters, solenoids, whatever is exposed to the mag chloride they use on our roads in the winter. When somebody like that tells you this, you tend to believe them. So if I came on here and said my ABS sensor was salted to death and 50 people said, no way I build them and we did 500 salt tests, what do I do? Shut up next time and not throw in my 2 cents about ABS sensors and salt? I doubt it, you cant shut me up that easy! hahaha

I am still not going to soak my alternator, the starter, well its kinda Vulnerable so its on its own! :) hahaha

yes often I skip over vital info, or forget the details after coming down the thread a bit, I also respond quickly and sometimes come back and see and correct my own errors. I am the first one to admit I am wrong, but how do I know I am wrong until you prove me that way? Without posting the wrong info I would never corrected, so I guess its a catch 22??
Look bad but learn important stuff, hahaha

Pointing somebody in the right direction is most often the biggest help, tossing out idea's, thinking out loud, if you will.

If you guys insist I can soak my alternator with a hose and it wont hurt it, to me that is good news, cuz all this time I have been really careful not to. Those suckers are expensive!
My starter has died twice after seeing deep water and mud, one was rebuilt and the rebuilder guy told me yes water can kill a starter. What do I do? not believe it? Now I question him more, but I still think thats an awful coincidence.

Spindlecone I am going to punch you in the nose you big jerk!!! hahaha I guess you can consider me a little "off the wall" then, thats fine by me! Ask around, its probably true??

Anyways did he ever find the problem?

You must remember to always take your medication, calm down:)

this is my daily meds, my mind races on truck stuff without it, oh that and coffee....today I had too much coffee (2 cups, black. My brother has a coffee shop in Portland and he sends us the best stuff! I am pretty sure this stuff is extra caffinated today...) yikes

deep breaths deep breaths, hahaha

Well, on all those cans of Gunk foamy engine brite it does say to cover the alt, air, and other ignition components before applying water. From personal experience I've seen 2 alts, and 1 starter fail after deep water crossings (water not mud). Every time I do get water on my alt after washing w/ it uncovered, although it hasn't failed, it's squeaked, and not from the belt, but inside the alt, so that can't be good.

Any good news, Goatja?

Oh and the plot thickens! jwrezz, you are off the wall with your idea's! hahaha

teasing spindlecone now...

No seriously this is been kinda common place in the industry if you ask me...dont get electrical motors wet.

I know we go to great means to keep moisture away from elevator hoist motors....

well guys i have run every test i could and i have spark, but no fuel i checked the vaulve on the fuel rail and there was no pressure, i checked all of my relays and when you have someone turn the swith you can feel them turn on and i replaced them any ways. does this sound like a fuel pump because when you turn the key you dont hear the fuel pump kick on?? its my best guess

Get a meter and test for power at the fuel pump inertia switch pictured below.. When you turn the key to run 12v will appear (either wire) for 2secs and then drop off to a couple of volts...

The initial 12v is to pressurize the fuel line in preparation for starting the engine. After 2 secs the computer tests the tach line and if the engine isn't rotating it kills power to the fuel pump...

18205Fuel_Pump_cut_off_WEB-med.jpg

If all else fells remove the plugs and dry them off. Water may have seaped down into the plugs. Seen it happen before.

i have removed the plugs as you read i have no fuel getting to them

thank you i will test the switch

well crap i forgot i towed it home so dad can help work on it it'll be friday before i test it but i will try my best to describe it to him and see what he gets

If the fuel pump relay is switching on and the fuse is good (small yellow 20 amp fuse in a Gen I) then LISTEN FOR THE PUMP.

If the pump does not come on you can check the wiring to it, and check for 12V+ at the appropriate wire near the pump. If it does not come on and you have a signal from the computer it is fuel pump time.

If the fuel pump relay is switching on and the fuse is good (small yellow 20 amp fuse in a Gen I) then LISTEN FOR THE PUMP. the + wire that goes to the pump does have a connector down under the brake booster, I would check this since this happened jsut after washing your engine compartment and it appears the relay is coming on.

Wire should be pink with black.

If the pump does not come on you can check the wiring to it, and check for 12V+ at the appropriate wire near the pump. If it does not come on and you have a signal from the computer it is fuel pump time.

thank you for all of your help guys it was a fuel pump after all it is really strange it just happend to go out at that time, or at least i think so

intermittant fuel pump coming on and off issues on a Gen I are almost always a problem with the relay and or wiring to the relay.
the 91-92 4.0L has the relays mounted to where they are semi exposed to the elements. The wires will corrode and the relay internals will do the same.

Sometimes just putting in a new relay will only helpl for a short time. the box they mount in itself should be cleaned/serviced the wire ends etc.

Its really not too diffuicult to remove the fuse box and relays and clean up the connectors. All Ford wiring connectors come apart, the wires lock in place.

Unless of course the fuel pump's time is just "up".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i put a new ppump in it it was getting power back there an dthe pump was just not working

Back